Where we speak of bad movies.
I don't care if he killed it. I want him to bring it back. It's the only Whedon original thing post Pixar I would even consider calling good, let alone fantastic. I know that might send some people in a tizzy, but yes. I HATE Buffy and Angel. Hate, bolded, capp'd, ital'd, larger font with a cool color, doesn't even come close to the reaction I have to those shows.

It seriously put me off to firefly.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(07-21-2012, 01:12 AM)shoju Wrote: I don't care if he killed it. I want him to bring it back. It's the only Whedon original thing post Pixar I would even consider calling good, let alone fantastic. I know that might send some people in a tizzy, but yes. I HATE Buffy and Angel. Hate, bolded, capp'd, ital'd, larger font with a cool color, doesn't even come close to the reaction I have to those shows.

It seriously put me off to firefly.

I agree with you on Buffy. I've had discussions with one of my cohorts at work and he absolutely adores the Buffy series and I hate it. I loved the tongue-in-cheek movie, but the show took itself too seriously. Who doesn't get a kick of Paul Rubens' death in the movie. Big Grin
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
(07-21-2012, 12:28 AM)Lissa Wrote: Joss had the original series setup in a specific manner to be shown, but Fox showed the series out of this order. This turned the series from something akin to Babylon 5 (where there was a definitive story arc) into Star Trek/Next Generation (where it was episodic and one episode didn't really tie into the prior or next outside of the cast).

Worse. It was like some Borgesian horror, a book read with the chapters all jumbled up. Firefly was never an episodic show. It was a beautifully crafted linear show, each episode building subtly and carefully on the last, and then shown in the wrong order.

-Jester
(07-22-2012, 02:45 PM)Jester Wrote: Worse. It was like some Borgesian horror, a book read with the chapters all jumbled up. Firefly was never an episodic show. It was a beautifully crafted linear show, each episode building subtly and carefully on the last, and then shown in the wrong order.

Yeah as I mentioned earlier in the thread Fox pissed Joss off and essentially killed his baby. I believe the episodes aired on Fox in this order 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 4, 5, 9, 10, 14, 1 and yeah they never showed 11-13 and they also changed time slots a few times and preempted it a few times, which made it even harder for people to try and follow it. Ep. 11-13 didn't actually get broadcast until it showed up on Sci-Fi. Sci-Fi airing them all in the right order I think started in July of 2005. That brought in a lot of new fans as well, though I think it was really just a way to hype the movie. DVD sales after Fox had mangled the show were enough to get the movie green lit.

It's my understanding that Joss had designed the story be 7 seasons long (about 74 hours worth of episodes). We basically got 15% of that (about 12.5 hours). I do wonder where the story was supposed to go because what he did in the movie was not all that was intended.

Stupid marketing people....
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
(07-21-2012, 01:12 AM)shoju Wrote: I don't care if he killed it. I want him to bring it back. It's the only Whedon original thing post Pixar I would even consider calling good, let alone fantastic.

I thought Dollhouse was pretty spectacular. Not as good as Firefly, but still probably in my top 10.

-Jester
(07-22-2012, 02:45 PM)Jester Wrote:
(07-21-2012, 12:28 AM)Lissa Wrote: Joss had the original series setup in a specific manner to be shown, but Fox showed the series out of this order. This turned the series from something akin to Babylon 5 (where there was a definitive story arc) into Star Trek/Next Generation (where it was episodic and one episode didn't really tie into the prior or next outside of the cast).

Firefly was never an episodic show. It was a beautifully crafted linear show, each episode building subtly and carefully on the last

-Jester

Right, this is what I meant by it being like Babylon 5 where seasons 2 through 4, if you missed an episode, you might be able to keep up with what was going on, but if you missed multiple episodes, you were basically done. Stracyznski setup B5 as one huge story that spanned 5 years. Due to Claudia Christian having a tiff about pay, things got somewhat screwed up in Season 5 (the intended setup was the huge arc was 2 through 5 with 1 being the introduction to all the characters and plot lines) and Stracynzki had to wrap up the majority of the arc at the end of Season 4.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

It actually happened because they weren't sure of renewal for 5th season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon_5#Writing
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
(07-22-2012, 03:13 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: DVD sales after Fox had mangled the show were enough to get the movie green lit.
I'm not too connected to what is happening on the TV. Finding and watching a series of quality shows on DVD is heaven -- It's almost as good as a book you can't put down.

More likely, if a series gets popular enough to generate a buzz loud enough, then I'll tune in to check it out -- however I'm usually 1 or 2 seasons late. I think I saw one episode of Firefly on Fox, but it was enough to convince me to rent the DVDs and watch the entire series (in order), and that hooked me enough to then go to see Serenity in the theater.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

I just watched Battleship.

I need someone to hold me and tell me everything is alright.
(08-04-2012, 05:58 AM)DeeBye Wrote: I just watched Battleship.

I need someone to hold me and tell me everything is alright.

It's ok. A cup of warm water does wonders.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
I have a collection of horror movies that I've been watching ($5 bargain bin at Wal Mart SCORE!)

And while it has awesome things like the original Night of the Living Dead, and House on Haunted Hill, it also has blood tide a fantastically bad stinker of a movie that made me realize that even the best actors (James Earl Jones) can sometimes pick bad projects.

But then, it also had The undertaker and his pals, which was SO BAD it bordered on comedy.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(08-06-2012, 07:54 PM)shoju Wrote: I have a collection of horror movies that I've been watching ($5 bargain bin at Wal Mart SCORE!)

And while it has awesome things like the original Night of the Living Dead, and House on Haunted Hill, it also has blood tide a fantastically bad stinker of a movie that made me realize that even the best actors (James Earl Jones) can sometimes pick bad projects.

But then, it also had The undertaker and his pals, which was SO BAD it bordered on comedy.

Well, according to IMDB, it is a comedy that is also a horror movie... >.>

(08-06-2012, 08:33 PM)Lissa Wrote:
(08-06-2012, 07:54 PM)shoju Wrote: I have a collection of horror movies that I've been watching ($5 bargain bin at Wal Mart SCORE!)

Well, according to IMDB, it is a comedy that is also a horror movie... >.>

I should have been more concise in my explanation. It was supposed to be a (dark) comedy, while also being a "horror" movie, but it wasn't the comedic parts that made it "funny". It was bad. I mean... REALLY bad. There is a scene at the end that involves a vat of acid, and someone getting dumped in it, that just... Oh man... Wow it was bad.
So, this isn't really a bad movie so to speak... but has anyone else seen Carnival of Souls (1962)?

It was one of the last movies in the collection I bought to watch, and I find myself thinking it should have been on "disc 1" which had the.... "better" movies of the collection as opposed to buried next to last on the second side of the second disc.

It was pretty good considering the time, and budget.