Patch 5.0.4 - big changes in advance of MOP
This means it will most likely break many of your 4.3 addons.

I've been watching WOWInsider and googling the dev sites for my favorites. Some, like Omen or Postal, have no news on an update.

All your talents will be reset, and we get the new simplified talent interface with a choice of 1 or 3 talents every 15 levels.

Here is the list from Blizzard;

General
  • Account-wide Achievements, pets, and mounts -- In Patch 5.0.4 and beyond, the majority of your character's Achievements, pets, and mounts will be shared with your other characters.
  • World Event: Attack on Theramore Isle -- Warchief Garrosh, obsessed with assuring the Horde’s supremacy over Kalimdor, launches an all-out attack against Jaina's island home of Theramore. Though valiant Alliance defenders rush to repel the sudden onslaught, they’ll soon find themselves unprepared for the terrible scope of Garrosh's true plans… ( This Scenario will become available in the weeks leading up to the launch of Mists of Pandaria on September 25. )
  • AOE Looting - Area of effect looting comes to World of Warcraft with this patch. After killing a group of enemies in close proximity, when you loot one of their corpses, the loot window will include items from all of the nearby corpses for which you have loot rights.
  • BattleTag support in World of Warcraft
  • Players who have enabled their BattleTag will now be able to:
    • See BattleTag friends in your friends list.
    • Add and remove BattleTag friends.
    • Send BattleTag invites to other players via right-click.
Cross-Realm Zones
  • In some zones, players are now able to form a group with other players from a select pool of realms.
  • When a player is in a zone that is set as a “cross-realm zone”, in addition to seeing other players from their native realm, they’ll also seamlessly see (and be able to play with) players from other realms.
  • Players will always be able to group and quest as they normally would with players from their native realm.
  • This functionality will be enabled for a limited number of realms at first, and will be granted to additional realms as we near the release of Mists of Pandaria.
Classes: General
  • All classes have been updated with a new talent system, improved abilities, and spells (accessible throughout levels 1-85). Your character's talents have been reset.
  • Many old talents have been converted to specialization abilities.
  • Druids now have access to a fourth class specialization: Guardian.
  • New spells are now learned automatically. Class trainers are only needed to change talents, glyphs, class specialization, or to utilize the dual specialization feature.
  • All characters now take 40% less damage from other players.
Currency Conversion
  • Valor points have been converted to Justice points, and Conquest points have been converted to Honor points.
  • Neither of the resultant currencies (Justice and Honor) have an enforced hard-cap at this time.
  • Players are no longer able to earn Valor or Conquest points (bosses drop Justice, and arenas are closed).
  • Items formerly purchasable for Valor/Conquest are available for Justice/Honor.
Items
  • Spell Penetration has been replaced by PvP Power on existing items.
  • Head enchants removed -- Enchants that modify the gear in your head slot have been removed from the game. This includes older head enchants of every type.
  • Relics, ranged, and thrown items -- The slot in which ranged, relics, and thrown items were previously equipped has been removed. All weapons should now be equipped in the weapon slot.
  • Ranged weapons, including wands, have been adjusted to be more powerful.
  • Ranged weapons no longer have a minimum range.
Professions
  • The glyph system has been updated. Many class glyphs have been added, altered, or moved to different glyph types.
  • Prime glyphs have been removed.
  • Chef’s Award and Dalaran Cooking Award have been removed. Existing awards have been converted to Epicurean’s Award.
Quests
  • The cap for daily quests has been removed.
  • There is no longer a displayed count of daily quests completed.
User Interface
  • There is a new user interface for your mounts and pets.
  • Character creation screens have been updated.
  • Buffs have been consolidated in the UI.
  • New roll results frame added. This new feature can be accessed by clicking the word "[Loot]" in chat, or by typing "/loot".
  • The PvE queue frames have been unified. You can now queue for dungeons, raids, and other queue-able content in one handy place.
  • Vendors now offer item filtering.
  • Spellbooks have been updated to reflect changes to core abilities, and now include a brief overview of specializations.
  • The Dungeon Journal has been expanded with information on all pre-Cataclysm encounters.
  • A new help system has been added to many frames. You can toggle this on and off by clicking the "i" button in the upper left corner of the frame.
Mac
  • Mac OS X 10.5 is no longer supported.
  • Added full support for Retina displays.
  • Added support for game resolutions that match Mac screen aspect ratios.
  • Switching between Windowed and Fullscreen display modes should be faster.
  • A “Help” menu has been added, so that players can quickly navigate to support pages.
  • A menu item that allows players to copy system information to the Clipboard has been added.
  • A menu item that reveals various game files and folders in Finder has been added.

Some observations I had in the MOP Beta;
  • Vendor Item filtering -- the default is not always what I expected -- it was defaulting to your class and the vendor may not show what you are looking for.
  • AOE looting -- this may be a blessing for speeding up looting for mass kills and also a curse for skinning to prevent ninjas.
  • Also, not mentioned -- I believe mastery now applies to the chance a mob has to dodge ranged attacks including spells. This means that hunters and casters now need to consider mastery on their gear.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(08-28-2012, 07:55 PM)kandrathe Wrote: [*]Also, not mentioned -- I believe mastery now applies to the chance a mob has to dodge ranged attacks including spells. This means that hunters and casters now need to consider mastery on their gear.[/list]

Everything I've read indicates expertise, not mastery, reduces dodge chances on ranged attacks. The guides indicate the desired expertise cap is 7.5%, same as the hit cap, for hunters at least. Mastery is listed as increasing pet damage for BM hunters, I haven't researched the rest yet.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
(08-28-2012, 07:55 PM)kandrathe Wrote: [*]AOE looting -- this may be a blessing for speeding up looting for mass kills and also a curse for skinning to prevent ninjas.

There is supposed to be a toggle that will allow turning off the AOE looting. I suspect that most skinners will have this hot keyed or on a macro for when they are doing some mass skinning work. Also expect weeks of whinning about this from skinners that do not bother to look for it or research the matter.

MMOChampion has a large breakdown posted on Monday of ingame changes that were not even touched in the list above from Blizzard. Things like big experience reduction for leveling in the 81 to 85 range.

P.S. From playing some in the Pandaria area, plan on needing quite a bit more bag space than was usually required in the game before.
(08-28-2012, 11:33 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: [quote='kandrathe' pid='201616' dateline='1346183727']
[*]AOE looting -- this may be a blessing for speeding up looting for mass kills and also a curse for skinning to prevent ninjas.

Also expect weeks of whinning about this from skinners that do not bother to look for it or research the matter.

He means me. Smile
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
(08-29-2012, 12:31 AM)Sabra Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 11:33 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: [quote='kandrathe' pid='201616' dateline='1346183727']
[*]AOE looting -- this may be a blessing for speeding up looting for mass kills and also a curse for skinning to prevent ninjas.

Also expect weeks of whinning about this from skinners that do not bother to look for it or research the matter.

He means me. Smile
No, I mean the general crowd of public players that think that there is no point in even trying to read the basic tooltips of the game.

From you, I expect the whinning when you keep forgetting to do a change like that. That may take months to stop......<duck>
I dread logging on tonight.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I didn't realize this at first, but you have to log on to each character that has specific pets/mounts/achievements in order for them to be on every character.
Shannon
[Image: xop502.png]
(08-28-2012, 09:41 PM)Bun-Bun Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 07:55 PM)kandrathe Wrote: [*]Also, not mentioned -- I believe mastery now applies to the chance a mob has to dodge ranged attacks including spells. This means that hunters and casters now need to consider mastery on their gear.[/list]

Everything I've read indicates expertise, not mastery, reduces dodge chances on ranged attacks. The guides indicate the desired expertise cap is 7.5%, same as the hit cap, for hunters at least. Mastery is listed as increasing pet damage for BM hunters, I haven't researched the rest yet.
Er, you are right. I confused the two -- expertise for dodge, and mastery for pet damage. Hit, then Crit were my stats.

I just know that until they give some love to Marksmen, I'm going BM and figure out how to get the pet to do the damage.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Battletag messaging is messed up if you have two accounts. I would whisper Bolty from my main account, his reply would go to the second account. Any whispers to me also only went to the second account.
(08-29-2012, 12:52 PM)Tal Wrote: Battletag messaging is messed up if you have two accounts.

Doesn't that only matter if someone actually wanted to message you? Tongue
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
I'm a little sad that you have to log in to all of your characters to get them to "share" the achievements. I was sort of looking forward to seeing how high my achievements would have been all combined together instead of littered across 4-5 toons.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(08-29-2012, 02:20 PM)shoju Wrote: I'm a little sad that you have to log in to all of your characters to get them to "share" the achievements. I was sort of looking forward to seeing how high my achievements would have been all combined together instead of littered across 4-5 toons.

No, you have to log into the characters for it to all be added/shared.

Once you do, it should be all together on toons.
--Mav
There are also a bunch of items that have gone grey;
  • enchanting rods that haven't been runed, beyond the copper rod
  • portal and teleport reagents are no longer needed, druid acorns, shaman fish guts, scales and oil
  • relics are gone...
  • any unused head enchants -- and enchants removed from head gear
  • Coilfang Armaments -- used to be white (kept them in hopes they'd fix the quest chain).
  • The Gouging Pick - (which also served as a mining pick)
  • more as I find them...

(08-29-2012, 05:32 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
  • enchanting rods that haven't been runed, beyond the copper rod

What do you mean by this? Are enchanting rods no longer required?

• portal and teleport reagents are no longer needed

\o/ Oh wait. Now I'll have to come up with a new excuse when I get a random tell asking for a portal. :/

• relics are gone...

This makes me sad - I could have used the shards from disenchanting those. I really should have nuked them before the patch launched. :/

• any unused head enchants -- and enchants removed from head gear

Sharanna is still showing her helm enchant.
(08-29-2012, 03:44 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 02:20 PM)shoju Wrote: I'm a little sad that you have to log in to all of your characters to get them to "share" the achievements. I was sort of looking forward to seeing how high my achievements would have been all combined together instead of littered across 4-5 toons.

No, you have to log into the characters for it to all be added/shared.

Once you do, it should be all together on toons.

Isn't that what I said? You have to log into the toons for them to add the achievements together into the new account wide achievement totals.

Which means, I wont' see what my account wide achievement totals would be, since I don't have an active sub, and I'm not interested enough to get an active sub, download the patch, and then do the hoop jumping that is reportedly taking multiple logs on the same character due to the way it is all being added.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(08-29-2012, 05:57 PM)Tal Wrote: What do you mean by this? Are enchanting rods no longer required?
Evidently, you'll just need the runed copper rod throughout your career. No more need to improve your rod.

Quote:This makes me sad - I could have used the shards from disenchanting those. I really should have nuked them before the patch launched. :/
Aye. And, they may have sold for a better vendor price for us non-enchanters.

Quote:Sharanna is still showing her helm enchant.
Shhhh... Your legacy enchant will remain our little secret.

(08-29-2012, 06:12 PM)shoju Wrote: I was sort of looking forward to seeing how high my achievements would have been all combined together instead of littered across 4-5 toons.
I'd wait to get your 30-day pass until after MOP release.

(08-29-2012, 06:12 PM)shoju Wrote: Which means, I wont' see what my account wide achievement totals would be, since I don't have an active sub, and I'm not interested enough to get an active sub, download the patch, and then do the hoop jumping that is reportedly taking multiple logs on the same character due to the way it is all being added.

Making sure that people who weren't coming back could see their achievement totals w/o resubbing was high on their list of things to have working, I'm sure. Tongue

I guess maybe the way it's being done is intentional, if you like tinfoil. Big Grin
--Mav
(08-29-2012, 08:13 PM)Mavfin Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 06:12 PM)shoju Wrote: Which means, I wont' see what my account wide achievement totals would be, since I don't have an active sub, and I'm not interested enough to get an active sub, download the patch, and then do the hoop jumping that is reportedly taking multiple logs on the same character due to the way it is all being added.

Making sure that people who weren't coming back could see their achievement totals w/o resubbing was high on their list of things to have working, I'm sure. Tongue

I guess maybe the way it's being done is intentional, if you like tinfoil. Big Grin

It makes sense, with what they have said before about achievements.

They probably added a new table of (or for) "Battle.net account achievements" in the Database, so you have to log in, and then it parses the records to the new DB, that is then linked to your account by Primary Key, and giving your characters the shared info.

I just wished it would have been "cooler" than that. I was surprised to see that Shoju lost 40 achievement points somewhere with nothing being moved over to FoS.
(08-29-2012, 12:58 AM)Ruvanal Wrote:
(08-29-2012, 12:31 AM)Sabra Wrote:

He means me. Smile
No, I mean the general crowd of public players that think that there is no point in even trying to read the basic tooltips of the game.

From you, I expect the whinning when you keep forgetting to do a change like that. That may take months to stop......<duck>

But whining is important. It's what makes loot drop.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
(08-30-2012, 11:19 AM)Sabra Wrote: But whining is important. It's what makes loot drop.

How'd that work out for you with Netherwind Pants? Wink