Thoughts on Mistweaver Monk Healing?
Note: This was originally posted in the Terenas Raiding forum, but the suggestion was made to repost here, as more could possibly benefit from or add to the discussion.

I was looking over Elitist Jerks info on monk healing, and they talk of using dps abilities to build chi. As a druid healer for so long, I have not done this while leveling my monk--my experience is that healers generate enough aggro as it is without purposely attacking. I know disc priests dps to heal, but have never played a disc priest. (I have one, but used her shadow spec instead.)

My point is, I've been having no problems building chi and healing with the regular healing spells. There seems to be plenty of ways to do both without dps-ing.

So my question is, Glaur or anyone else that has healed or studied healing on a Mistweaver monk, are there times when I should be dps-ing? Should I always be getting chi this way? Should I never get chi and heal this way? What are some of your thoughts and experiences?

My monk is level 78. I don't want to get her to 90 and find out I've been doing it wrong the whole time.

Thanks,

Shannon

Crushar added the following reply to the original thread:

"The talk is mostly about using jab to generate chi. As stated in the forum the chi generation of jab is marginally better then using soothing mist. Even that post did not propose using a full dps healing spec for any period of time. Ranged healing (mist weaving) has been pretty much what I have used exclusively. Bascially, use soothing mist to generate chi and use renewing mist on cooldown to spread hots that can be uplifted. For tank healing enveloping mist is the go to heal to help prop up the tanks. Surging mist is so mana intensive at level 90 (24k) that if used quickly runs you OOM. SCK is a pretty good grouped up heal especially when coupled with the 50% bonus. Be warned though, so far I have found that soothing mist/renewing mist on cooldown isn't a rotation that my mana will sustain."

All other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Shannon
[Image: xop502.png]
Other than that I have also read EJ on monk healing, I do not have a lot to add to the conversation. I am very interested however, as my monk is mistweaver.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."