Hunter Pet
Last night a priest friend (who has a hunter main) targeted my hunter's new pet bat, and was surprised to see the portrait showed the silver colored "rare" dragon icon. Later the same night he targeted my pet again and did not see the silver dragon icon.

I thought in the current iteration of WoW, hunter pets retain no memory of their heritage? The pet in question is Ressan the Needler, but he/she had already leveled at least a couple of times since tamed, when my friend reported seeing the silver dragon icon.

Any thoughts? And, yes, I think my friend was sober.

"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I have seen similar cases happen myself in the past. Most often it was a mod I have been using (SilverDragon) that would miss identify someones pet as Humar the Pridelord. This in spite of the fact that a targeting of the pet would show its rename and being considerably leveled since being tamed. In all those cases, I was seeing many reports that pointed to a fair bit of server lag going on at the time.

I suspect that in those laggy server conditions that the first reference that can be connected is the name associated with a very unique skin for the pet.
Quote:I have seen similar cases happen myself in the past. Most often it was a mod I have been using (SilverDragon) that would miss identify someones pet as Humar the Pridelord. This in spite of the fact that a targeting of the pet would show its rename and being considerably leveled since being tamed. In all those cases, I was seeing many reports that pointed to a fair bit of server lag going on at the time.

I suspect that in those laggy server conditions that the first reference that can be connected is the name associated with a very unique skin for the pet.
I checked with my friend and he was using no mods at all.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Quote:I checked with my friend and he was using no mods at all.
I have had it happen without the mod also. But what SilverDragon will do is flash a chat message and screen alert whenever it detects a unique named from even a causal mouse over. When that laggy server condition hits, I can get quite a few spammed alerts from just turning around in one the bank or AHs due to some of the pets in there at the time. A type of case that most would not notice anything from a 1/20 or less second mouse over.
Quote:Last night a priest friend (who has a hunter main) targeted my hunter's new pet bat, and was surprised to see the portrait showed the silver colored "rare" dragon icon. Later the same night he targeted my pet again and did not see the silver dragon icon.

I thought in the current iteration of WoW, hunter pets retain no memory of their heritage? The pet in question is Ressan the Needler, but he/she had already leveled at least a couple of times since tamed, when my friend reported seeing the silver dragon icon.

Any thoughts? And, yes, I think my friend was sober.
This is actually a very old bug. As it happens this is the oldest screenshot I have of my main character, taken November 15 2005:
[Image: therakedb9.jpg]

(quote bolded for significance) It's funny you should bring this up now because this fits in with a bug I found people exploiting this afternoon. It seems that if you kill a hunter's pet that was tamed from the rare that is required for Medium Rare you will get credit for the achievement.