Music thread? Music thread. AKA what are you listening to right now?
Right now, I'm doing the 'everything leads back to Kraftwerk'. Kind of like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. Mmmmm, bacon.

Anyway, I was browsing the youtubes watching some mid 90's hip-hop\R&B videos. When I felt like looking up some video game music from the same time frame. Lunar 2, a Japanese rpg to be exact. One of my favourite game of all time.

This one, it's the battle theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CprABrE4InQ
(circa mid 90's or so)

Which seems to be very similar if not an indirect homage to this song. "Technopolis" by the Yellow Magic Orchestra. (Mid 70's I'm guessing?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbtEjhCOFPs

This isn't a big conspiracy or anything, apparently YMO had a big influence on the people who later became composers of video game music during the heyday of 8-16 bit era and beyond.

I mean give a listen to this, and tell me it doesn't sound like a song from a lost video game during the 16-32 bit era.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk6o4GWFIV8

I stumbled on YMO because the band's name kept popping up whenever I was reading threads discussing Kraftwerk. YMO was inspired by Kraftwerk.

So, it went full circle. I was listening to 90's hip hop, whose roots was greatly influenced by Kraftwerk (Trans Europe Express ---> Planet Rock), looked up one of my favourite JRPG game from the mid 90's, discovered that a whole bunch of video game companies pretty much mined the same band (YMO) for it's musical inspiration. A band which was inspired by. Kraftwerk.

Ah, you cold German robot band you. Nah I'm just kidding, it takes a real heart to come up with a melody like this. Not even Coldplay can ruin this riff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtWTUt2RZh0
I have a 70s playlist going. This is what is currently playing.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I was honoring Patti Page upon her passing.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Well, I probably have a lot different taste in music than most. Right now, I'm listening to:

John Paul White - The Long Goodbye
Anberlin - New Surrender
The Yoshida Brothers - The Best of, 2008

as well as various things that I've owned forever, Everclear, Weezer, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, etc...
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(01-04-2013, 04:18 AM)shoju Wrote: The Yoshida Brothers - The Best of, 2008

!

I first heard a song of theirs in a friend's house, great stuff. I don't know which one it is exactly, might have been 'Storm'.

All I know is if (read: when) the alien zombie invasion apocalypse comes, I want 'Storm' to be one of my battle hymns.
I'm a huge fan. I got hooked on them about a year ago, and finally had some cash laying around, and picked it up off Itunes. I went with the Best Of first to see what I thought, and I love it. Storm is awesome. One of the Kodo remixes is stellar, and there is even a bluesy song on there that really just gets me going.

Yes. If there is a Zombie Apocalypse, The Yoshida Brothers are going to be my musical choice. They are killer.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Recently I've been listening to a lot of Horse Feathers:

Curs in the Weeds
Thistled Spring

Death Cab's also in consistent rotation:

My Mirror Speaks

Also have been diving back into my Kevin Devine catalogue:

Carnival

And just because no music list is complete with out Television:

Marquee Moon

Edit: Might as well take it back to '97 with a bit of I Hate Myself just for good measure! =D

Caught in a Flood With the Captain of the Cheerleading Squad

And last, but not least: Maybe the best thing ever:

Doctor Who Meets Metal
Currently listening to Rolling Stones, Gimme Shelter. It's on the Pandora station I have up at the moment.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Eugene Pottier, L'Internationale.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Cycling between Wall of Voodoo's Call of the West, The Decembrists' Crane Wife, and my own Best of Thesaurus Punk playlist.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
19th Nervous Breakdown, Stones. It's the utter opposite of how I feel this morning.
No work, just kissed Mrs Occhi goodbye after making her breakfast and she's off to work.
The dogs and I have the day to do as we will. I smell some D III in the air.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete