costs too much?!
04-22-2013, 01:51 AM
costs too much?!
Today I fired up an old D2 character, an amazon, she was left sitting in the Pandemonium Fortress in Hell last time I was playing. Just messing about, and finding that I've lost all sense of caution for playing this game. Kept getting mobbed by multiple bosses because I was in too much of a hurry. Fun in any event.

But then I stopped to see what the smith had for sale. Big hunk of armor, over 1600 defense, cool, I think I might have a Barb around who would enjoy that. Cost was somewhat over 4.1 Million. Wait a minute, that's not fair! No character can actually hold that much gold in inventory! In the past I remember running across things I could not afford (due to sheer poverty), but never anything that was impossible to buy. Seems a little harsh.

Ah well, back to the woodworking shop tomorrow, the shellac will be dry by then.

Krishta, the impoverished amazon.

Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 06:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2015 06:38 AM by Wild.)
RE: costs too much?!
(04-22-2013 01:51 AM)krishta Wrote:  Today I fired up an old D2 character, an amazon, she was left sitting in the Pandemonium Fortress in Hell last time I was playing. Just messing about, and finding that I've lost all sense of caution for playing this game. Kept getting mobbed by multiple bosses because I was in too much of a hurry. Fun in any event.

But then I stopped to see what the smith had for sale. Big hunk of armor, over 1600 defense, cool, I think I might have a Barb around who would enjoy that. Cost was somewhat over 4.1 Million. Wait a minute, that's not fair! No character can actually hold that much gold in inventory! In the past I remember running across things I could not afford (due to sheer poverty), but never anything that was impossible to buy. Seems a little harsh.

Ah well, back to the woodworking shop tomorrow, the shellac will be dry by then.

Krishta, the impoverished amazon.

A level 99 character can hold 2.5 million in the stash, and 900 thousand on his/her person for a grand total of 3.4 million gold. I'll assume you're playing the expansion because I don't think there are any magic armors in Classic with that high of defense. If you were to have a unique Gheed's grand charm with 15% reduced vendor prices, as well as an Edge runeword bow, then vendor prices would be reduced by 30%! This would reduce the 4.1 million price tag by about 1,230,000 gold. 4.1m - 1.23m = 2.87m. Obviously you could pull this off with a worse Gheeds (in fact the worst, 10%) and still be able to purchase the armor so long as you also had an Edge.
Find all posts by this user
07-16-2017, 07:35 PM
RE: costs too much?!
That's a lot of money.

Stay awhile and listen!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user