Path of Exile
Quote:I have my witch in Standard, I'd run with. As long as you are ok with me bringing a party of 20+ dead guys with me.

No problem there. Combined with my army of the dead, we should be able to put up quite a force.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
The first Descent race took place tonight. It was certainly different. It's much more prone to RNG since there's no vendors. Sure you get more currency to roll your items, but if you don't score a good item or two in the start the pace is going to be VERY slow. I was fortunate and found/rolled some very good bow gear for my Ranger, and thus was able to get to a respectable level of 15.

I'll certainly be playing future races of Descent, but it's not the most exciting game mode I've played.

*edit - seems like Duelist was the race to pick. 90% of the top racers picked it and were able to get to 20+. Cleave + Double strike and you can use most rares that drop, makes sense.
Since 11.1 I have been running into some Rares that feel damn near unkillable.

I spent 5+ minutes this morning, locked in a stalemate with a rare in Cruel Church Level1.

Resists Elemental Damage
Gains an Endurance Charge on Hit
Regenerates Life.

So, with Frostbite up, and running Ice Spear with PCoC linked to get to 3 power charges, and then swapping over to Freezing Pulse (with Added Lightning Damage, and a Cold to Fire Gem) We stalemated sub 50% for quite a while. I he wasn't able to outdamage my Vitality, I wasn't able to Outdamage his Life Regen, which felt like it was regeninng 2x as fast as normal.

I'm assuming that towards the end, I finally was able to get enough Shock Stacks, and Burning Damage Rolling on Hit that I was able to kill him. But SERIOUSLY 5+ minutes?

Even gimping my way through Piety with my FP char because I forgot my portal scrolls (Go Go Vitality!) I bet it didn't take me as long as this guy.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
The new skill being introduced in 0.11.4 seems interesting: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/486736

I really like the idea of an incremental increase to AoE as you attack mobs. I'll most certainly try to build a character around this.
A claw aoe attack that doesn't make you lose control of your character? SAY IT'S SO! <3
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(06-14-2013, 09:23 PM)Frag Wrote:
(06-14-2013, 09:19 PM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(06-14-2013, 07:56 PM)vor_lord Wrote: melee is extremely frustrating. Enemies run away out of range and are hard to chase down, and at least at early levels you have no abilities to deal with it.

I've been having a blast with a Marauder. I would assume it's rather cookie-cutter'ish because it seems fairly easy but then I've just moved into cruel too. He uses sweep for close up AOE and bounces around the screen with leap slam for runners and ranged. He runs the aura that restores life and he steals it too. He's also built to have mana cost coming from life with an empty mana bulb. He just goes and goes. The bad guys just fall over dead when they see him coming with his big 2 hander mace. Cool
That build works fine until A2 Merci or Maps. If you're not planning on doing endgame the archtypal 2h Maul Blood Magic Mara is a great ride.

Yeah, this is ringing so true. I'm 62 just starting the Ancient Pyramid and feeling I need to at least do a bunch of farming to see if better gear can give me a nudge. Of course, it doesn't help him any that I've gone evasion/armor. Without the energy shield, a small desync or a single attack instead of move and I have another <splat>. I was certainly relieved when they cut the death penalty. Blush
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Lochnar,

My offer still stands. I know you play primarily found gear, but you did give me the wand, and I didn't give you anything in return. I have a 1k armor chest with 53 life, or I have a 900 Eva / 392 armor chest piece, and I have plenty of other things, including quality gems, lots of other stuff,

Seriously. I would gladly consider it payment for the wand, that.... by the way, my summoner is STILL sporting, and probably will until I get something from 75+ maps.

Not sure, what you have for a weapon, but if you want a High DPS weapon to use to get through the pyramid, I have a 4s Voidhome that would help out for you. It's 370 ish DPS... the drawback is the XP reduction. But, it would probably be a nice boon to your damage to help get you through.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(08-09-2013, 02:28 AM)shoju Wrote: Lochnar,

My offer still stands. I know you play primarily found gear, but you did give me the wand, and I didn't give you anything in return. I have a 1k armor chest with 53 life, or I have a 900 Eva / 392 armor chest piece, and I have plenty of other things, including quality gems, lots of other stuff,

Seriously. I would gladly consider it payment for the wand, that.... by the way, my summoner is STILL sporting, and probably will until I get something from 75+ maps.

Not sure, what you have for a weapon, but if you want a High DPS weapon to use to get through the pyramid, I have a 4s Voidhome that would help out for you. It's 370 ish DPS... the drawback is the XP reduction. But, it would probably be a nice boon to your damage to help get you through.

Again, thanks but no thanks. I do play found and haven't even tried selling anything to another player. I am, however, very likely to share with others when I can. Believe it or not, you have already "paid" me for the wand. I was thrilled to find the wand that seemed to fit something on your list. I had been checking each time I got a drop that seemed it might be a fit for your desired gear. I don't get a lot of opportunity for warm fuzzies in my life, so you paid me with the chance to get one. Cool
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Well,

If you change your mind, You just let me know. I haven't had many people offer anything on that chest, and it's sitting there, and I just can't bring myself to vendor a 1k Armor chest with life and a resist.
Patch 0.11.4 notes are up, which should go live on Monday. I'll make an announcement post once the Uniques are discovered :)

So after getting a Lionseye I was severely disappointed with the DPS. As I mentioned before, I'm looking to play a more DPS-focused build. After playing onslaught for so long, with characters focused on defense instead of damage, I'm eager to play something that pushes out high dps.

So I traded more stuff and obtained a Bringer of Rain, crafted a very nice 1H sword, and bought a decent axe for a few gcp. I respecced my Marauder to the following and starting cleaving away, at 18k+ dps. It feels nice to run something this powerful. Plus the defense is pretty darn good, thanks to everything being blinded from Bringer of Rain. I've been enjoying the fast paced gameplay and trying to keep mapping, have some 74s now that I'm trying to get chisels to use and run. I highly recommend saving up for a Bringer of Rain. It has a lower ceiling than 6l armors, but saves you the trouble of getting a six link :)
(08-17-2013, 11:31 PM)MonTy Wrote: So after getting a Lionseye I was severely disappointed with the DPS. As I mentioned before, I'm looking to play a more DPS-focused build. After playing onslaught for so long, with characters focused on defense instead of damage, I'm eager to play something that pushes out high dps.

Yeah. Unfortunately, right now, it seems like for rangers to really get that crazy dps you need to play with a few gimmicky builds. And even then you need to have a Lionseye and a 6 socket to really make it start to come together.

With that loaner Lionseye you gave me I am easily farming through 66-68 maps and if I can get 22 more dex and start using the quiver I think my damage potential will jump up another good bit, but that's still maxing out around 3k with full frenzy stacks. Once I do get that extra dex though and utilize the 50% conversion to fire damage on the quiver I will be able to get great utilization out of Flamability and Cold to Fire on my Ice Shot. It's just a matter of getting someone that's actually willing to make a reasonable trade.
Started another marauder in Anarchy, since I'm a melee guy at heart, and I needed a break from the Frustration of gear on the ranger.

Level 27, haven't died (woot!), and I'm getting ready to head into the pyramid.

The build I sort of have.... planned

My goal is to use Heavy Strike (since I had a Qual in the bank)
Sweep (so staves, Axes, or maces for me)
Leap Slam
As many auras as I can support
Blood Magic Supports
and go crazy with the armor. So far, I'm one shotting things, but I've been fairly lucky at finding weapons that have nice modifiers to damage. We'll see how that goes in the pyramid (my most hated place in the game)

EDIT:

Oh yeah, that reminds me. If anyone has a Determination, Vitality, or Wrath at level 1, I would be interested in trading my somewhat leveled versions of them to you for the level 1's.

NOt sure how feasible that would be for people, but I figured I would offer, since I have them, they are just off of my dead Freeze Pulser, and I'd like to get to using them sooner than the late40's.
(08-18-2013, 10:56 PM)shoju Wrote: Oh yeah, that reminds me. If anyone has a Determination, Vitality, or Wrath at level 1, I would be interested in trading

I keep telling myself I should make Anarchy toons so I can share what I have stashed. I have one of each at least started, but they're all standard only since I suck so much I even tend to die too much in standard league as I move to the higher levels. Blush
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(08-19-2013, 06:37 AM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(08-18-2013, 10:56 PM)shoju Wrote: Oh yeah, that reminds me. If anyone has a Determination, Vitality, or Wrath at level 1, I would be interested in trading

I keep telling myself I should make Anarchy toons so I can share what I have stashed. I have one of each at least started, but they're all standard only since I suck so much I even tend to die too much in standard league as I move to the higher levels. Blush

You don't suck.
Last night, I ran the pyramid, hit 30, killed Vaal, and.... STILL DIDN"T DIE?! HOLY CRAP ON A STICK I KILLED VAAL AND DIDN"T DIE!

New Milestone! WOOT. How I pulled that one off, may be a mystery forever. Actually, no... Not a Mystery. This is the first character since my summoner that I feel has REALLY Good DPS.

I'm oh so very excited about the way it's going so far. I'm into Sarn, and I'm doing great Smile I'm mapping out what parts of the build I'm going to need next. I know that in advance of hitting Piety, I'm probably going to pick up some of the Resist nodes back in the 'rauder tree. I've gotten over into the duelist tree, I'm trying to lay a good foundation, that way I can pick up the good stuff as I go along.
This could be my new favorite character. I rolled Piety in the Crematorium. I had her "dead" (as in 0 HP) by the time she was done yelling about time to leave.

I have NEVER Had a Character putting out this kind of DPS, and wrecking things. My Gear My Build

I'm sort of trying to wrap my head around where all my damage is really coming from. I'm now running two damage auras (Anger and Hatred), but I just spent my first points on Damage not too long ago. Up until then, I'd just been building fairly... "safe".

I do have a question for those of you who are a little more "astute" at melee (I'm not, since I'm just now figuring it out on my third char.) What do you think of Blackheart? Worth it? Part of me thinks 5% isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, it's not terrible life (25), and I think that at least in the "short" term, it might not be a terrible addition.
(08-19-2013, 03:47 PM)shoju Wrote: I do have a question for those of you who are a little more "astute" at melee (I'm not, since I'm just now figuring it out on my third char.) What do you think of Blackheart? Worth it? Part of me thinks 5% isn't that big of a deal. On the other hand, it's not terrible life (25), and I think that at least in the "short" term, it might not be a terrible addition.

Melee can certainly dish out good damage, even with mediocre gear. But damage won't be your main concern, surviving will be. You're going to have to be up close in order to do damage, which places you in greater damage. Unless you have a ton of damage (18k+) and life leech, I'd focus more on items that help you survive, over items that boost damage such as Blackheart.
Right now, in Normal, I'm doing great. I'm not having any survivability problems, but then, it is just normal. I have picked up a Warlord's Mark Gem, which is helping. I still don't have any Life Leech gems, just the LGoH that I have on Sweep. I'm hoping to rectify that soon.

Next time I play, I plan to snag the Q items in the Docks, and Battlefied, and then head down to see the Gemling Queen. I figure I will be in the high 30's by the time I get to piety at the rate I'm leveling. I'm 33, figure I'll get halfway through 34 by the time I'm done in the docks, and then 35/36 by the time I get to the bottom of the temple to the queen, and then probably 38 by the time I'm down to Piety.
So.... I just got swindled in a trade for the first time, and GGG told me "tough luck, should have paid attention".

Guy was offering a 2h'd mace, level 31, 5L, godly roll. I made an offer on it, and when we traded, he traded me a POS level 16 5L. I didn't even notice since it was rare, and 5L until I put it on and was checking out my new DPS.

Guy ignored me in game, and GGG has been no help.

Guess I'm going back to just playing with what I find. I had heard of people doing things like this before, but never seen it in action. AWESOMESAUCE.
(08-20-2013, 10:31 PM)shoju Wrote: So.... I just got swindled in a trade for the first time, and GGG told me "tough luck, should have paid attention".

Guy was offering a 2h'd mace, level 31, 5L, godly roll. I made an offer on it, and when we traded, he traded me a POS level 16 5L. I didn't even notice since it was rare, and 5L until I put it on and was checking out my new DPS.

Guy ignored me in game, and GGG has been no help.

Guess I'm going back to just playing with what I find. I had heard of people doing things like this before, but never seen it in action. AWESOMESAUCE.

I've been known to utter, "I hate people." Sadly, they sometimes give me reason. Best you can do is warn others. Sad Is there a lower limit on clvl to allow trading? Just wondering if people can make lvl 1's to trade and further muddy the waters.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Is there a lower limit on clvl to allow trading? Just wondering if people can make lvl 1's to trade and further muddy the waters.

If I remember correctly, it's 20. This was just initiated a couple of months ago, so it only applies to new accounts created since then.

Quote:Best you can do is warn others.

Just don't do it on the official forums. Name and Shame threads are not allowed.

GGG's stance on such trades is caveat emptor. So do make sure every time you trade that you check every detail of the item you are being offered before you click accept.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields