Path of Exile - Introduction & Patch 0.11.0E
Hail all, Monty here. I'll be posting regular news updates for Path of Exile, an Action RPG that's currently in Open Beta. The developers, Grinding Gear Games, have been churning out patches almost every week. Playing a game that receives this many updates has been very exciting. It's been constantly evolving with new skills, items, and various balance and gameplay tweaks. I hope I can relay the game updates to you in an informative manner.

Patch 0.11.0E tries to address a very hot issue, one that has transformed the game's trading economy. It's a well known fact that a Real Money Transaction site took over one of the most popular Path of Exile related websites. This website listed the suggested trading ratio for the game's currency, or “Orbs”. All of a sudden the website had actual real money values next to the orbs with a convenient link to purchase in-game items with real money.

This patch introduces a restriction on currency trading. You must have at least one level 25 character on your account before trading currency, except for Wisdom or Portal Scrolls. This is meant to combat the RMT site that uses throw-away accounts that have level one characters to store and give to buyers. Creating accounts in Path of Exile is free, so it was of no significance if the accounts were banned after the transaction was made. This system is obviously not meant to completely stop the Real Money Transactions; only to delay them enough to track and delete their accounts before any transactions are made, or to force the RMT seller to waste time by leveling characters over and over again.

Other changes in this patch were minor bugfixes. In the previous weeks there have been significant patches, which you can view on the Lurker Lounge thread. And while you're at it, check out the new Lurker Lounge sub-forum dedicated to just Path of Exile. Feel free to post away regarding any questions or comments you may have. We should get more juicy patches in the coming weeks, so I look forward to bringing that news to you.