Nano-technology product I'm going to spray everything with...
I saw a little youtube film on this and was geeked out. Neverwet

I've been needing to repair and stain my backyard deck. It degrades so fast in my climate (freezing, dry in winter, then humid, wet, and shaded in summer). Once it's done, I'm going to treat all the surfaces with this stuff and see if it lengthens the repair cycle.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(06-23-2013, 08:46 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I saw a little youtube film on this and was geeked out. Neverwet

I've been needing to repair and stain my backyard deck. It degrades so fast in my climate (freezing, dry in winter, then humid, wet, and shaded in summer). Once it's done, I'm going to treat all the surfaces with this stuff and see if it lengthens the repair cycle.

Wouldn't that make your deck extremely slippery in the rain? The bottom of your shoes would be wet and it would be like tires hydroplaning on a wet highway. Huh
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(06-23-2013, 11:26 PM)LochnarITB Wrote: Wouldn't that make your deck extremely slippery in the rain? The bottom of your shoes would be wet and it would be like tires hydroplaning on a wet highway. Huh
Perhaps. The mold that builds up is slippery too.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(06-23-2013, 11:26 PM)LochnarITB Wrote:
(06-23-2013, 08:46 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I saw a little youtube film on this and was geeked out. Neverwet

Wouldn't that make your deck extremely slippery in the rain? The bottom of your shoes would be wet and it would be like tires hydroplaning on a wet highway. Huh

Probably not, the superhydrophobic surface wants to minimize the contact with water. SO stand on it and the water will be removed more efficient from between your shoe and the surface.

Slippery surface are usually slippery because of the moving liquid films on top of it. (so ice forms a nm thin water layer when in contact with a blade from and ice skate for example and you are sliding on that liquid layer.

I am however not sure if it is helpful to use this product on a horizontal surface where you walk on. There are all kinds of superhydrophobizers and basically they are molecules or particles with hydrophobic character that sit on the surface and repel water. For making stuff really hydrophobic you need not only molecules with hydrophobic character but also a nano or microscale roughness on the surface. The main issue with these systems is is that they are usually not extremely scratch resistant. So when you walk on it regularly you will remove the active material.

Looks expensive to apply. About $20 for something designed to cover a 10-15 sq. ft. area. Like $20 per 3x5 foot section of deck.
(06-29-2013, 08:01 PM)Ruvanal Wrote: Looks expensive to apply. About $20 for something designed to cover a 10-15 sq. ft. area. Like $20 per 3x5 foot section of deck.
I know that seems expensive, but the stain is expensive and the deck was expensive. I just hate seeing it turn to rot. Even if I spend $200, it would be cheap compared to my investment in the bloody thing.

Moral: Things you own turn around and own you.