Path of Exile - New Game Mode
A new way to play Path of Exile is being introduced this weekend. A game mode named Descent will offer a rogue-like dungeon crawl experience. These one-hour events will be completely independent from the normal game, meaning you can't keep or carry items over to the default leagues once the race is finished.

There are a few unique twists from the usual gameplay. No towns or merchants, so that means no portal scrolls to refill your health/mana flasks. Instead you'll be descending levels and fighting various bosses in order to progress. Once each boss is defeated you'll have access to treasure chests with predetermined loot, but will only be able to select one treasure out of the few choices (for example you'll have to choose between a health potion or a run speed potion). There will be no backtracking or re-running of zones, so moving down into greater danger will be the only way to advance.

I hope the gameplay is exciting enough to warrant not being able to keep your items. I'm a huge fan of challenging races, as it requires you to play as efficient and as fast as possible. But it's unfortunate you just can't play this mode whenever- you have to create a character in this league prior to it starting. As with most rogue-likes, death is permanent.

Will anyone be trying these new signature races? It's solo only, so no partying. But it would be fun to see how some of us do. More information can be found here, and eventually they'll release the schedule of when these races will exactly happen.
This actually sounds like a blast to me as this is generally my chosen way to play HC. Having a one hour time limit sounds like a good idea as that short of time really limits any negativity towards losing items you may find. By limiting that factor it really allows the challenge to be it's own reward. The short time also helps ameliorate any frustration from dying to the crazy desyncs. It's not that big of a sting if you know going in you will only have this character for a short period of time no matter what.

Having said that, limiting it to certain times really effects if I will ever bother to play it. If I could choose when to play this mode when I'm in the mood for it that would be great. Having to schedule it is a very iffy proposition for me. The specificity of the mode really requires a certain mindset to play and you can't force that around someone elses schedule.
I'll probably give it a shot if times line up with my availability, just to try it out. So far, I'm pretty turrible at races, so I don't expect great results!
Welcome to the Lounge. Hope you brought your portable bomb shelter. - Roland
The Race times haven't meshed with my schedule, but I'll probably give one a shot if I can.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Sounds perfect, but limiting it to specific times means will never, ever work with the family as it current stands.

Edit: Yep, about right. Signed on with 12 minutes to go, and wanted to play those twelve minutes and it ended up with the biggest fight I've been in with my wife in a month.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
(07-04-2013, 12:16 AM)Frag Wrote: Sounds perfect, but limiting it to specific times means will never, ever work with the family as it current stands.

Edit: Yep, about right. Signed on with 12 minutes to go, and wanted to play those twelve minutes and it ended up with the biggest fight I've been in with my wife in a month.

Welcome to my world; the main reason I don't play video games anymore. If it doesn't involve the entire family, forget it...
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin