Imminent mistakes in Syria
(09-10-2013, 05:06 PM)Jester Wrote:
(09-08-2013, 12:57 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Yep, and it isn't just the US interested in that. Saudis have a vested interested in that.

The more I think about this, the Iran/Saudi conflict, and maybe also the Iran/Israel conflict, must be driving this. There just doesn't seem to be any other reason to really, really want to bomb Syria, without so much as a peep about who is supposed to take over, or even what we're supposed to be shooting at. Which suggests that they have some targets in mind - it has been suggested that anti-air equipment might be a particularly good target.

Do we really want to go back to the cold war? Just to get a leg up on Iran? Or to give the Saudis one? I'm not exactly warm about Russia's involvement in the region, but at least they haven't started shooting.

-Jester
I don't know if we (whomever you mean by that) want to, but I deem Saudi and Iran wishing to continue their struggle ... and I think Turkey will soon be involved more than they are at present.

The Great Powers of the world only have so much leverage. The silver lining to this cloud is that we may end up with a good piece of cooperation between Russia and America on this. And we may not. The details of any deal on the weapons transfer are pending, and may ultimately fail. I hope not, but this isn't suitcased yet.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(09-13-2013, 09:56 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: The silver lining to this cloud is that we may end up with a good piece of cooperation between Russia and America on this. And we may not. The details of any deal on the weapons transfer are pending, and may ultimately fail. I hope not, but this isn't suit cased yet.
If we were intrepid here, we'd do our best to set up Putin to win the Nobel Peace Prize for resolving the Syria civil war and bringing about democratic elections in Syria. The Alawite minorities grip on power is slipping, so Russia's interests (e.g. their naval base, their trade ties) would be best served by a stable democratic leader with broader Syrian support. The US intervention would probably prolong the civil war by propping up the better parts of the FSA, which is opposed by forces backed by Lebanese Hezbollah and Iran, as well as Russia. It is also a bad sign when Jabhat al-Nusra targets the FSA, rather than go after Assad.

Russia, and Putin's interest are more related to prestige, than merely territory or position. They want the US, and Europe to deal with them at the adult table. We should cater to that, and let Russia make Syria a better place in the short term, and hopefully, with a more stable Syria in the aftermath of the civil war, we can work together to re-establish a more liberal democracy.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]