Shingeki no Kyojin aka Attack On Titan anime\manga
'Attack on Titan', an anime series\manga I just devoured, and would like to share\recommend.

AFAIK the anime can be seen online legally and free on CAN\US\UK on crunchyroll.

Seriously, highly recommended at the very least the anime. It's got steam-punkish spiderman dual sword wielding soldiers. Fighting against man eating giants.

That sounds corny, and in lesser hands it would be. Except it isn't, at least for me. This is good storytelling. It's Battlestar Galactica (reboot) good IMO.

It's not just the action scenes, it's not just the epic music, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkYbcRL7j3k
It's not just the believable and gritty subtext \examination of human nature and characters, it's not just the rich world building\setting. It's not just the way it believably handles strategy\tactics.

It's all of it combined into a Dickensian epic. With steampunk spiderman child soldiers dual wielding swords. Fighting against man eating giants Big Grin
(09-11-2013, 07:52 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: 'Attack on Titan', an anime series\manga I just devoured, and would like to share\recommend.

AFAIK the anime can be seen online legally and free on CAN\US\UK on crunchyroll.

Seriously, highly recommended at the very least the anime. It's got steam-punkish spiderman dual sword wielding soldiers. Fighting against man eating giants.

I started this show today. (I need something to fill the time while I wait for "FeLiNa.") The titans strike me like another form of zombie: a relentless supernatural man-eating force that shrugs off damage that hits shy of its weak spot. I'm on episode 8, and this show does not mess around. It drinks deep of the poisoned waters of "Anyone Can Die."

-Lem
(09-24-2013, 02:24 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: The titans strike me like another form of zombie: a relentless supernatural man-eating force that shrugs off damage that hits shy of its weak spot.

There is definitely that aspect to it. Another aspect that makes it interesting to me is the horror and humor to them. Some of the goofy facial expression and the movement of the titans are funny both in context, and out. Until you remember they also OM NOM NOM on people a la 'Goya's Saturn Devouring His Son'.

Quote: I'm on episode 8, and this show does not mess around. It drinks deep of the poisoned waters of "Anyone Can Die."

The story definitely gives you a kick in 'teh feels'. Though it's not IMO, all grimdark angsty. There is definitely some well placed humour (gallows or otherwise) in there, and I think it's thanks to the author\artist 'Trollface' humour streak.

I definitely like his sense of humour. When asked by another artist friend to draw a promo art for a romance comic, this is what he came up with.

WARNING: POSSIBLE DISTURBING IMAGE

(AFAIK that's the female lead char in a romance novel, as a Titan chomping on another character.)

http://25.media.tumblr.com/61c4237d52e94...1_1280.jpg

He apparently also dislikes the usual 'fanservice' stuff, so when he was asked to draw Mikasa in an 'Idol' outfit this is what happened. (Apparently he sometimes does hilarious fake 'next chapter previews' at the end of the manga versions.)

http://gabzilla-z.tumblr.com/post/526864...of-blood-a

It's like putting T2's Linda Hamilton in a tutu. With the mama bear glare intact.
Haha, I'm just about to finish the anime.

The anime seems to give off a very strong Hollywood movie big budget atmosphere; if you look at the 2nd opening credits, you may note that. It's certainly really strong when it gets to the action, though I find it a bit boring during the slower parts. It's generally an anime that is strongest when it's being bombastic and silly with the over the top action scenes; I'm not really too concerned with the plot. You get a feeling that humanity is constantly on the edge of being screwed; I tend to think of Starship Troopers or Starcraft when they're always like trained to devotely serve humanity against these forces that cannot be understood. Still though, it does get excessive, and I end up laughing when it tries to be serious.

The characters are well written though, and avoid your typical anime cliches. Eren is seemingly your typical rash and stubborn main character, but unlike in most cases, he pays for his rash behavior and the solutions to his problems are not as simple.

Mikasa seems to be an action girl with a penchant for the main character, again nothing too out of the ordinary, but as it turns out, her obsession with the main character gets to a point where it gets self destructive. And as it turns out she needs learn to sort out her feelings and not simply just go on blind charges for the power of love or some bullshit. Mikasa's incidentally my favorite character in the series, but I tend to have a thing for characters of that kind in anime. Especially her angry moments; she looks so cool

And there's also Armin, the seemingly bumbly sidekick/planner that also proves that he's just not a wet tissue.

There's much more to be discovered, such as the amusing Levi, but Titan really does have a fun cast.

The music I see has been appreciated, and it's done by Hiroyuki Sawano who is godly at soundtracks in anime; his soundtracks are gold-- Gundam Unicorn has a top tier one, and Guilty Crown's was also good (Don't actually watch Guilty Crown though), Titan isn't as powerful as Unicorn's but it's still very solid, especially the opening and ending credit songs.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
POTENTIAL SPOILERS WARNING WARNING.

(09-29-2013, 06:39 AM)Archon_Wing Wrote: Haha, I'm just about to finish the anime.

The anime seems to give off a very strong Hollywood movie big budget atmosphere; if you look at the 2nd opening credits, you may note that.

Yep. The 1st opening credits seems much more 'call to adventure\heroics\main character theme' to me, while the 2nd is more military anthem\group march. If nothing else it's worth watching it to get many of the funnier\alt covers and memes out there.

Quote: You get a feeling that humanity is constantly on the edge of being screwed; I tend to think of Starship Troopers or Starcraft when they're always like trained to devotely serve humanity against these forces that cannot be understood. Still though, it does get excessive, and I end up laughing when it tries to be serious.

I think for me the anime works really well when it's not 100% grimdark serious, and mixes horror and humor. Whether it's casually hinted at or a bit more subtle.

Quote:The characters are well written though, and avoid your typical anime cliches. Eren is seemingly your typical rash and stubborn main character, but unlike in most cases, he pays for his rash behavior and the solutions to his problems are not as simple.

I think they play with the cliches, and fairly well at least IMO. But yes, Eren paying for his rash behaviour is one of the guilty pleasures to watch for me.

The young Mikasa and Eren flashback scene is probably one of the few times he is IMO, absolutely justified taking the stupidbrave\reckless\slightly unhinged violent action.

Everything else after that is him slowly\painfully learning not everything can be fixed with violence and righteous fury.

Quote:Mikasa seems to be an action girl with a penchant for the main character, again nothing too out of the ordinary, but as it turns out, her obsession with the main character gets to a point where it gets self destructive. And as it turns out she needs learn to sort out her feelings and not simply just go on blind charges for the power of love or some bullshit.

At the time of this writing, I'm caught up with the Anime and Manga. So far, I think Eren is already in love with someone else. And her name is RAAAAAAAAAGE!!!111111111

Quote: Mikasa's incidentally my favorite character in the series, but I tend to have a thing for characters of that kind in anime. Especially her angry moments; she looks so cool

And there's also Armin, the seemingly bumbly sidekick/planner that also proves that he's just not a wet tissue.

There's much more to be discovered, such as the amusing Levi, but Titan really does have a fun cast.

Agree. For me Sasha\Potato Girl stole my heart. And Hanji.

I can't get a straight answer from the web right now whether there will be a second season though. So far the most I got is there will be either a movie\OVA that will serve as a second season, or yes there will be a second season along with an OVA. (The preview scene of the rest of the 104th squad-mates in their civvies and on horseback.)

Ep 25 \ season finale was ok, but I'm slightly dissapointed by some of the changes. Overall it's still ok and enjoyable, but I'm somewhat worried on how much will they diverge from the comic.

Quote:The music I see has been appreciated, and it's done by Hiroyuki Sawano who is godly at soundtracks in anime; his soundtracks are gold-- Gundam Unicorn has a top tier one, and Guilty Crown's was also good (Don't actually watch Guilty Crown though), Titan isn't as powerful as Unicorn's but it's still very solid, especially the opening and ending credit songs.

I haven't listened to all of Gundam Unicorn songs, but the few that I have found on t3h youtube is definitely awesome. Can't wait for the Titan OST disc 2 to officially drop.

Also, this is an official spinoff. Attack on Titan: Junior High. School comedy manga.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...noff-manga

I'm usually wary of spinoffs. Eg: For the exception of SWars Clonewars (the first 2D miniseries), spinoffs\expanded universe are usually poorly done cashgrabs. This series however, for some reason to date I enjoy most of their spinoffs\alternate universe versions. Especially the comedic ones.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...o-magazine

Hey a Levi spinoff; I find him incredibly humorous due to the fact he always looks so apathetic and cool. Wonder how much of it is going to be like that.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)