Dialects of the USA
(10-01-2013, 04:20 PM)Jester Wrote: We must sound almost exactly opposite.

What we can't tell from the graph is the strength of the similarity/difference. My assumption is that they take the whole 'similarity index' and normalize it onto the complete color scheme. For example if my most similar to least similar "range" is very wide, i.e. I have a very strong dialect, then my 'red' and 'blue' are much stronger indicators than someone without a strong dialect. While Boston might be your most similar dialect, it might not be a very good match. It's still listed as red, i.e. most similar. I assume that is true because it makes for a lot more interesting graph than an absolute similarity mapping. No one wants to see a bland graph of mostly yellow everywhere.

But I guess I can't argue, they nailed me despite the fact that I know I have picked up dialect items that don't match my origin (I say soda for example).
Are you all discussing dialect or accent?

Dialect includes usage and vocabulary differences.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
(10-06-2013, 07:39 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Are you all discussing dialect or accent?

Dialect includes usage and vocabulary differences.

Dialect.

-Jester
(10-06-2013, 07:39 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Are you all discussing dialect or accent?

The title of this thread is "Dialects of the USA". We are clearly discussing accents.
(10-08-2013, 04:35 AM)DeeBye Wrote:

The title of this thread is "Dialects of the USA". We are clearly discussing accents.

Seriousity aside. I thought it was a little bit of both. The 25 questions I got had 'what word would you use for...', and a few 'how would you pronounce this word'.

Then again maybe my dialex is different from your daleks.
(10-08-2013, 10:05 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Seriousity aside. I thought it was a little bit of both. The 25 questions I got had 'what word would you use for...', and a few 'how would you pronounce this word'.

Well, an accent is a part of a dialect, and not the other way around.

Part of a dialect is how you pronounce words and part of the dialect is using different words for the same thing.
(10-08-2013, 10:08 AM)eppie Wrote:
(10-08-2013, 10:05 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Seriousity aside. I thought it was a little bit of both. The 25 questions I got had 'what word would you use for...', and a few 'how would you pronounce this word'.

Well, an accent is a part of a dialect, and not the other way around.

Part of a dialect is how you pronounce words and part of the dialect is using different words for the same thing.

My fault for my attempted humour not translating well.

Anyhow I liked this tidbit from a blog about the subject.

http://dialectblog.com/2011/01/28/dialect-vs-accent/

Quote: This distinction is not that important for a layperson. Unless you’re a linguist, the difference between these two words is pretty abstract.

Good enough for me since I never claimed I was a linguist. The debate can be masterfully handled by a linguist more cunning than myself.

My pop (soda) is getting warm and it's *aboot time I go fix the rough before there's any leeks.

http://dialectblog.com/2011/03/20/canadi...ays-aboot/