diplomatic immunity
In the Netherlands there is a kind of escalation of a conflict going on because a Russian diplomat in The Hague got arrested by police officers.

He is saying he got treated very bad and was hit, while the dutch say this didn't happen.

The police was called because the got called by neighbors that the guy (very drunk) was pulling his small kids in his apartment by the hair. The day before his wife apparently crashed against a few cars parked in the street with her car, while she was also intoxicated.
Vladimir Putin is really pissed and wants a official apology and that damages are paid.

I am really curious how this story will end.

What I hope for is that the concept of diplomatic immunity (something which was important in cold war times for example) is investigated to see if some changes can be made. The Russians for example apparently also have for a few 100 thousand euros of unpaid traffic fines standing out. Also the Chinese have this (legally they don't have to pay, but most countries such as the USA do pay the fines).

This particular case. Of course being Dutch I am not objective but I don't believe the Russians a single bit. In Russia it is pretty common that police officers mistreat suspects but in Holland we usually don't do this. And the family seems to be very fond of alcohol...

Of course the thing is that the Dutch (as a small country) have a lot of business interests in Russia....so an apology is also not unlikely.
I'd keep an open mind about the police involvement. The profession of police attracts a certain psychology, and those in the job can become disgusted with what they see. We are just hearing in the news media about a NY cop who was undercover (hanging with some bikers) and was involved in an altercation where a family was attacked. Power corrupts... Even in Holland.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

"It's just been revoked!"
Quote:We are just hearing in the news media about a NY cop who was undercover (hanging with some bikers) and was involved in an altercation where a family was attacked. Power corrupts... Even in Holland.

Wow, your news services must be slow. His involvement was on the news over here the day he reported it to his superiors.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
(10-09-2013, 11:28 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: "It's just been revoked!"

Yeah, as expected. Well the dutch went against the Vienna convention and they apologized for that.
Of course they (the police) still thinks they did the good thing when they went in because children were getting hurt.
Of course the investigation will stop and we wont hear anything about this anymore and that guy can just continue living the good life with his ceremonial job.

Of course I understand the importance of the Vienna convention but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
(10-10-2013, 07:00 AM)eppie Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 11:28 PM)Chesspiece_face Wrote: "It's just been revoked!"

Yeah, as expected. Well the dutch went against the Vienna convention and they apologized for that.
Of course they (the police) still thinks they did the good thing when they went in because children were getting hurt.
Of course the investigation will stop and we wont hear anything about this anymore and that guy can just continue living the good life with his ceremonial job.

Of course I understand the importance of the Vienna convention but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Silly me! Blush I thought Chesspiece_face was referring to this.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
(10-10-2013, 06:43 AM)LennyLen Wrote: Wow, your news services must be slow. His involvement was on the news over here the day he reported it to his superiors.
Probably. I blame it on the cacophony that defines the 24/7 entertainment news cycle. Some stories never go away and are beat to death, while most of the news is considered by some editor too boring to report.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

It is pretty rare that I have anything nice to say about law enforcement. But fuck, if this guy was abusing his kids, he probably deserved to be smacked around a little bit. If he was doing it then, it means he probably has done it before, and will do it again behind closed doors.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(10-11-2013, 02:01 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: It is pretty rare that I have anything nice to say about law enforcement. But fuck, if this guy was abusing his kids, he probably deserved to be smacked around a little bit. If he was doing it then, it means he probably has done it before, and will do it again behind closed doors.

Yeah indeed. Diplomatic immunity was a thing set in place to protect for example Russian diplomats in the US or the other way around to be held hostage for fake reasons during the cold war. Not for diplomats to collect parking tickets and beat their family.
This guy is obviously (if I believe the news) not a very nice example of the human race, but because we want to protect our very good business relation with Russia we are crawling for Putin again.

Now the last news is that (after an apology) the Russians want us to punish the police officers in charge during the events that lead to this 'crisis', but the Dutch don't want to do this. They say they just acted to protect the children and would do it again in such a situation.

Also, the 4 people who got their car damaged because of his drunk wife can also forget getting their damages paid.

You have of course a legal and a moral side of the story here.
The Russians are clinging to the legal side once, but apparently don't care that a high ranked diplomat is a child beating drunk (again I use the facts I read in papers). I personally would be so ashamed that I would bring this guy back to Russia and fire him from his 'job', but I guess he is a friend of Putin.
(10-11-2013, 02:23 PM)eppie Wrote: I personally would be so ashamed that I would bring this guy back to Russia and fire him from his 'job', but I guess he is a friend of Putin.
You might petition your government to have this diplomat expelled.