What a song (yes, a non-political thread)
I was watching Traffic the other day (excellent movie btw), and though I had seen it several times in the past, I had always wondered what that song was playing at the end when Benecio is at the baseball park watching the kids play but never tried to inquire what it was. After watching it again yesterday though I had to quell my curiousity.

What a powerful song, there are no words in any language that can describe it. And it itself actually has no words, which makes it all the more impressive. I think this will be the song playing for me when the lights go out, forever. Although I listen to at least some music of almost every genre, very few songs move me the way this one did. That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
(11-08-2013, 03:05 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: I was watching Traffic the other day (excellent movie btw), and though I had seen it several times in the past, I had always wondered what that song was playing at the end when Benecio is at the baseball park watching the kids play but never tried to inquire what it was. After watching it again yesterday though I had to quell my curiousity.

What a powerful song, there are no words in any language that can describe it. And it itself actually has no words, which makes it all the more impressive. I think this will be the song playing for me when the lights go out, forever. Although I listen to at least some music of almost every genre, very few songs move me the way this one did. That is all.

Traffic is an exceptional movie, hits me right in the gut every time I watch it. (Drug movies often do, for some reason.)

Brian Eno, I think, it clearly the best producer in the history of the music business. I'm always blown away by what he can do with other peoples' work. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Remain in Light, Q: Are we not men? A: We are Devo, Joshua Tree, Surprise... it's incredible. (Bonus points for the Windows '95 sound.)

But as an ambient artist, he always leaves me a bit cold. It's too much polish, not enough fire, maybe.

If I had to recommend something along those lines, I'd go with Arvo Part's "Cantus in Memoriam of Benjamin Britten."

-Jester
Just gave Cantus in Memoriam of Benjamin Britten a listen - powerful indeed. I can't say it moved me quite as much as "An Ending" does, but it's up there. 3:25 to about 4:45 in the song is @_@ Both songs can pretty much take our egos, shred them to pieces, and leave us curled up in a fetal position trying to fathom what we just experienced.

Eno did U2's Joshua Tree? I had no idea. Did he actually do production on that album, or he made a remake of it?

My favorite kind of music overall is hip-hop - it's what I grew up on, but my views of it have changed a bit over the years. While its probably still my fav genre, I am a lot more critical of it now than I was years ago. Not only because the quality of the music has gone down, and is essentially trash now, but there are certain aspects of it that I do not like even when it was in its golden age - such as the sexism and homophobia, it being corporatized, and the glorification of material wealth and money that sometimes is so emphasized. What I do like about it is that it touches upon a lot of key social issues, and that it can provide a vivid (sometimes too vivid for some people perhaps) narrative of street life, crime and poverty. Sometimes it can have hints of class struggle within it but I would like to see it emphasize this much more than it does. I like the lyrical and musical creativity that it can have as well - most of the stuff I listen to is from late 80's to mid 90's...with 1991-1996 probably being the best 5 years ever for the genre, so many of the best albums it has to offer were made during this time frame.

I listen to almost everything though, from hip-hop, to classic rock and some metal, all the way to Enya (yea, I know) and stuff like the topic of this thread. I can't really get much into country or bluegrass - it's just not my thing, and teenie bopper stuff isn't even music in my opinion. I find myself on youtube all the time just listening to music, usually whatever randomly comes into my head that I feel like hearing.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)