Path of Exile - Patch 1.0.1
The first major patch since release is being implemented momentarily. 1.0.1 kicks off race season five which has a new race mode named "Champion Descent" that starts off your temporary characters with unique items. There's also a host of other gameplay changes and balance tweaks, and some new skill gems and unique items. I'll be sure to update this post with the unique items tomorrow, after they've been discovered by the community.

Be sure to stay on top of the changes and read the patch notes here. What's your favorite change? I would have to give a "Hooray!" for an increase to higher level map drops. It took me ages to get maps above 75 in Standard, after weeks of farming.

Remember to join us on the forums for general talk about Path of Exile!

*Update - The community has discovered the new Uniques. They are Crown of Eyes, Prismatic Eclipse, Doon Cuebiyari, and Doedre's Elixir.

Love the Prismatic Eclipse. Lots of people hinting towards a recipe to add white sockets to an item. That would be amazing!
Quote:What's your favorite change?

I'm quite fond of the changes to CoDT. I haven't used, or even seen, the gem yet so the changes have no affect on me, but the uproar it's caused on the offical forums is downright hilarious.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Endgame POE is hard. Legitimately difficult. The CWDT gem trivialized a lot of the difference between high skill and mid-low skill players, so the anger is very understandable as the average gamer does not have the skills to 'complete' the game.

As I sense that Laz had a hand in the 'proc' supports, I do hope he's rubbing his hands with glee at the tears. Knowing Laz, though, he's probably raging. Wish we could see it again. :>

As to the topic, I'm really happy about this line:
Quote:Ice Nova: Damage at high levels has been increased (around 10% more damage at level 15).
Long time coming. Ice Nova had less damage than Freezing Pulse, which made little to no sense if you actually looked at the ability. In its previous state the only thing it was good for was 1-2hr races.

Quote:Vitality: Mana reservation cost reduced from 60% to 40%.
Good change, the amount it regens is actually pretty low, so having it be a 60% made little sense.

Quote:Purity: Now grants no maximum resistances.
Uh oh. This hurts, a lot.

Quote:Mortal Conviction has been improved from 30% to 40% less aura mana reservation.
Oh joy, now you only reserve 36% of your max HP per 60% aura. Chris, no one will ever take this that is serious.

Quote:Cast on Damage Taken will no longer count any damage taken while you're dead.
These are the type of bugs that I occasionally make me wish I could play SC to see.

As Monty said, game is long in the tooth at this point.
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
Updated the post with all of the new community uniques. Really love that Sword- now the big rush to find out how to add white sockets to an item.
Could just be a buff to Tabula Rasa users, or did something state that you can add white sockets to items now (OP MUCH?!)
GGG confirmed the buffs from the sword only count from sockets on the actual sword, not your other pieces of gear. That would be crazy. So everyone is trying to figure out how to add white sockets to that item.
I'm hoping that they stealth buff all map drops. My Scion is 66, and I have.... 2.

The Changes to spells are great. I'm glad that I didn't get my CwDT gem until today. That way, I don't have to try and "replan" around it. I think it's a balanced change, though I do think that they should continue to tweak the gem. I don't think it's quite balanced yet. The changes address some of the problems that the gem had, but not all of them.

As far as the uniques go...

Crown of Eyes confused me. Modifiers to spell damage also apply to attack damage. So.... a Sceptre that has "increased spell damage" would also count that towards attack damage as well, in the same way that "increased physical damage" does? The wording is odd.

Prismatic edge is amazing. I guess the duelist build I have been bantering back and forth with Vinnie could become a legitimate thing with this.

Doon Cuebiyari. Um... Ok? It's interesting, and I'm sure that it has uses, but I'm just not sure I see them. Unless you were going DW Mace Lightning strike? Or maybe ST? Not sure.

The Flask is pretty interesting. Especially considering the confirmation that it works with CwDT.

All in all, I'm pleased with the patch.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
(11-14-2013, 06:08 PM)shoju Wrote: I'm hoping that they stealth buff all map drops. My Scion is 66, and I have.... 2.

Agreed. To be a reliable alternative to end-game boss farming, I feel they need to buff the map drops across the board. But overall it's pretty balanced since you can get them fairly consistently from Piety kills, which is now great for rare farming anyway.

shoju Wrote:The Changes to spells are great. I'm glad that I didn't get my CwDT gem until today. That way, I don't have to try and "replan" around it. I think it's a balanced change...
I actually haven't done much reading on this gem, prior to and now with the balance tweak. Still haven't got my head wrapped around how it works. Going to have to test it.

shoju Wrote:As far as the uniques go...

Doon Cuebiyari. Um... Ok? It's interesting, and I'm sure that it has uses, but I'm just not sure I see them. Unless you were going DW Mace Lightning strike? Or maybe ST? Not sure.

Really strong for builds using Spells + Iron Will. There's a popular FP build by the author who designed this unique. Pretty much as much STR as you can get + Iron Will + FP = Win.

While the Uniques sound fun, I haven't found anything interesting and not sure if it's enough to keep my interest further.
Have to admit, that if the map drop rate stays so abysmal, I'm not sure that I'm goign to be playing for very long. My main goal is to get my Scion Mapping. But if it becomes farm farm farm farm OH HEY A MAP! Boo I'm out of maps farm farm farm farm farm OH HEY A MAP! now I'm out of maps again farm farm farm farm farm, I just don't know if that's the type of thing that I want to do. I was bored to tears farming merveil. Absolutely bored. I'm sure Piety will be interesting to farm for a while, but I'm just not sure if I'm going to be interested in running Piety more than I was Merveil.

The other problem I have with Maps currently, is that I can run content that is higher level than maps, and it's not like I'm going to see the "top tier uniques" from the low level maps, or the areas.

So what is the incentive? Maps are too RNG to be sooo..... lackluster, and hard to come by. The quality of drops, and quantity of drops based on currency used to roll them is abysmal.

Why bother even running 66 maps, when I can run the Library / Archives / Lunaris, at same or higher level, not be limited to the number of portals I can take, or gear I can ferry out, and not have to spend my currency on rolling the areas?

IMO, Maps need to be either raised in level so that they start in "level difficulty" after Dominus is dead, or they need to drop far more often than they do.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
My understanding is that you want to run Mercy Piety for maps, in a group the drops are better (maybe even much better). YMMV, obviously.
And my big hangup with the situation as it stands currently is this:

Why bother running 66 maps?

merc Piety explodes like a pinata. You don't have to roll up a map to do it, you don't have to expend currency, you aren't limited by the number of portals in an out.

Why bother running 67 Maps?

Library/Archives is the same as Merc Piety. Granted, the loot on the bosses is probably not as good as what you will get in a map boss kill, but again, no currency investment. Same level of monsters. No portal limitations.

68 maps are really the first maps I would even bother, but that's because I dislike Sceptre of God. I want to run that place, kill dominus, and never go back. It reminds me of the Vaal Pyramid. Level after level after level of trash, followed by a boss fight that I don't particularly care for.

I'm planning to run a few maps tonight to try out the changes, and see how it works out, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.