A study on the benefits of video games
We hear all the time about the detrimental effects of gaming, the addiction, yadda yadda. But, for those of us who do it, we know there are positive affects to cognitive, social learning, as well as possibilities for a sense of accomplishment, and team building.

Here is a study from Radboud University Nijmegen that explores the positive affects of video game play.

The Benefits of Playing Video Games

The TLDR conclusion is;
Quote:"Yet video games today and those on the radar for development in the near future are also unique forms of play. Video games are socially interactive in a way never before afforded. Increasingly, players are gaming online, with friends, family, and complete strangers, crossing vast geographical distances and blurring not only cultural boundaries but also age and generation gaps, socioeconomic differences, and language barriers. The large amount of time invested in playing video games may also mean that they provide qualitatively different experiences than conventional games. Although we may remember spending whole weekends playing Monopoly with siblings and neighbors, few traditional games can boast the weeks and months of game play that many video games provide. These differences in space and time likely hold wholly new benefits and risks that have yet to be conceptualized.
After pulling together the research findings on the benefits of video games, we have become particularly inspired by the potential that these games hold for interventions that promote well-being, including the prevention and treatment of mental health problems in youth. Remarkably, there are very few video games that have been developed with these aims in mind. Given how enthralled most children and adolescents are with video games, we believe that a multidisciplinary team of psychologists, clinicians, and game designers can work together to develop genuinely innovative approaches to mental health interventions."

I could also see where observing game playing (and abuse) could be used as an interesting psychoanalytic diagnostic tool -- e.g. we've all met "pathological" trolls in our game play -- so what motivates this anti-social behavior, and how might it find expression outside of game play. It was purported that Adam Lanza, the Sandyhook shooter, was an avid "School Shooter" player which "inspired" his violent schism. My opinion is that violent psychopaths can take inspiration for their violence from most anything, from novels, to movies, to most often a self inspired fantasy often a twisted version of vengeance for some past pain they've suffered.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(08-14-2014, 07:03 PM)kandrathe Wrote: ...so what motivates this anti-social behavior, and how might it find expression outside of game play

From what I've seen, anger. Massive amounts of raging incoherent, blinding anger. Maybe it's from a trauma event, a neurological impairment, but anger and lots of it and what you wanna fight huh, come on guy COME AT ME BRAH!!!!11111 Tongue

Online connectivity has brought the world massive changes and potential positives. I have met people that I would not have if it wasn't for online\online vidya games, and for the most part they are very cool people, and I get to see a small but fascinating glimpse into their part of the world that in previous eras, I would need a plane or train ticket for.

Then there's the negative side. It's incredible to see how short some people's fuses become when they sit behind a computer. It's like road rage on the info highway.

I'm for the equal access to internet tubes, I think it's become a necessity like electricity, but dang there is a lot of anger out there in the ether. Whether that's formed in the net, or just becomes amplified in it. Dunno.

I think maybe playing a board game where you see and interact with people in meat space is not a bad idea, and going outside once in a while and unplug to recharge, is another.
(08-15-2014, 08:26 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote: ...
I think maybe playing a board game where you see and interact with people in meat space is not a bad idea, and going outside once in a while and unplug to recharge, is another.
There are a few pretty cool social cafe type spaces in Minneapolis that might be close to this ideal. They are designed to be comfortable, internet/wifi connected, and engage people to interact. They have old fashioned board games, cards, etc. available. Some of my "writer" type friends hang out there all the time. It's also the kind of place that has an afternoon poetry slam.

I think this is the role of the modern library actually.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(08-15-2014, 02:36 PM)kandrathe Wrote: There are a few pretty cool social cafe type spaces in Minneapolis that might be close to this ideal. They are designed to be comfortable, internet/wifi connected, and engage people to interact. They have old fashioned board games, cards, etc. available. Some of my "writer" type friends hang out there all the time. It's also the kind of place that has an afternoon poetry slam.

I think this is the role of the modern library actually.

Recently built libraries or suburban area libraries at least in my neck of the woods are trying for something like this as well. The ones connected or part of a community center facility has the space and amenities to do it. Smaller, or older libraries unfortunately are sometimes more limited in that respect.

Going back to your larger idea with what could be done with games as a diagnostic tool, the more I think about it I keep coming back to the idea of competition and co-operation. Friendly, sane competition is not necessarily a bad thing. Same with co-operation, most humans are social animals.

I think if I were to use a game as a diagnostic tool, the actual game themselves is not what I would observe that closely. Basically I'd agree with your opinion here,

Quote:My opinion is that violent psychopaths can take inspiration for their violence from most anything, from novels, to movies, to most often a self inspired fantasy often a twisted version of vengeance for some past pain they've suffered.

I would look at how they play the game, and how they interact with other players. Someone who has severe problems may act out their anti-social behaviour in any games, whether they're playing "Call of Battlefield Super Shooter #23", or "Happy Apricot Farm Simulator Online".

edited for typo
(08-15-2014, 07:17 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: I would look at how they play the game, and how they interact with other players. Someone who has severe problems may act out their anti-social behaviour in any games, whether they're playing "Call of Battlefield Super Shooter #23", or "Happy Apricot Farm Simulator Online".

There is this form of "treatment" called play therapy as described here;

“Can I Kill You Again Today?”: The Psychoanalysis of Player Modes
by therapist Mike Langlois

I wonder what they'd make of me.

(08-22-2014, 02:30 PM)kandrathe Wrote: There is this form of "treatment" called play therapy as described here;

“Can I Kill You Again Today?”: The Psychoanalysis of Player Modes
by therapist Mike Langlois

I wonder what they'd make of me.

Interesting article, but I am a fan of most of gamasutra stuff anyway.

I think there is a bit of a difference though, that article seems to be talking about someone playing in the sense of sandbox, single player, creating \ re-creating some sort of narrative.

I would agree that out of context, and reading too much into something like that is counter productive, and asking 'so what happens next' is way better than ,'omg there's bad stuff in your story!111' kind of over reaction.

I was thinking more along the lines of multi-player (traditional or video games), or even some simulated NPCs that can fool the player or at least give them serious pause on whether other characters has a human or 'bot' behind them.

Short version, I think someone's interaction with other players (and it's rules) in a game may give some sort of insight, though certainly not a 100% accurate rorscharh test. Then again if someone repeatedly flips the monopoly board in anger when the game don't go their way, that might be a subtle signal that player has anger issues. Tongue
(08-25-2014, 08:03 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Short version, I think someone's interaction with other players (and it's rules) in a game may give some sort of insight, though certainly not a 100% accurate rorscharh test. Then again if someone repeatedly flips the monopoly board in anger when the game don't go their way, that might be a subtle signal that player has anger issues. Tongue
Same with old paper & pencil D&D, which also adapted into various "game therapy" with RPG emphasis. I always was a bit freaked out by some players in my University's student gaming club who always went with the malevolent evil characters bent on causing the most drama. One of the strangest of them, (friend of a friend) actually did end up killing someone in real life (the whole unrequited love psychotic obsessions thing).

I like to consider myself a non-judgmental, tolerant person, but at some point strangeness becomes a pathology requiring psychiatric help.

The verdict is in and lack of challenge and stimulus has caused humanity to stop evolving into smarter creatures, as we have already conquered our environment.

People Getting Dumber -Huffington Post

Drop In Human Intelligence -New Scientist

Intelligence -Discovery

So, all forms of media are actually making us vastly stupider on a daily basis, and that's a fact.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(09-27-2014, 06:48 AM)Taem Wrote: The verdict is in and lack of challenge and stimulus has caused humanity to stop evolving into smarter creatures, as we have already conquered our environment.

So, all forms of media are actually making us vastly stupider on a daily basis, and that's a fact.
First, I read all three posts and the gist can be summed up by the quote,

Quote:"The reduction in human intelligence (if there is any reduction) would have begun at the time that genetic selection became more relaxed," Dr. Gerald Crabtree, professor of pathology and developmental biology at Stanford University, told The Huffington Post in an email. "I projected this occurred as our ancestors began to live in more supportive high density societies (cities) and had access to a steady supply of food. Both of these might have resulted from the invention of agriculture, which occurred about 5,000 to 12,000 years ago."
Which is to say, the science still seems to be highly speculative.

Then I researched some scholarly articles. I'm not sure I'd agree that, "all forms of media are actually making us vastly stupider on a daily basis" -- since, how ever else would we learn anything except from some form of media?

What I believe, based on my observations of life, is that our kids need less focus on ingesting forgettable facts, and more emphasis on critical thinking and reasoning skills. In other words, rather than merely teach them the facts, teach them to figure out how to find the true facts, (with citations), for themselves. Then they can wade through the BS media, and ferret out the pearls from the pig poop.

(09-29-2014, 02:19 AM)kandrathe Wrote: First, I read all three posts and the gist can be summed up by the quote,

Quote:"The reduction in human intelligence (if there is any reduction) would have begun at the time that genetic selection became more relaxed," Dr. Gerald Crabtree, professor of pathology and developmental biology at Stanford University, told The Huffington Post in an email. "I projected this occurred as our ancestors began to live in more supportive high density societies (cities) and had access to a steady supply of food. Both of these might have resulted from the invention of agriculture, which occurred about 5,000 to 12,000 years ago."
Which is to say, the science still seems to be highly speculative.

Then I researched some scholarly articles. I'm not sure I'd agree that, "all forms of media are actually making us vastly stupider on a daily basis" -- since, how ever else would we learn anything except from some form of media?

What I believe, based on my observations of life, is that our kids need less focus on ingesting forgettable facts, and more emphasis on critical thinking and reasoning skills. In other words, rather than merely teach them the facts, teach them to figure out how to find the true facts, (with citations), for themselves. Then they can wade through the BS media, and ferret out the pearls from the pig poop.

I completely agree. I was obviously being flamboyant in my initial response, however you hit the nail square on the head of the real issue with media... mindless distraction, where we occupy free time with "blah blah blah" instead of listening to our own inner thoughts. Who knew all that daydreaming we did before the distractions of the current age really did us good after-all? While I am merely hypothesizing based on what I've read, I do believe this to be true, and I have the feeling you and I are on the same page on this one.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin