Home Networking...
(10-09-2014, 04:49 PM)LavCat Wrote: No you don't.
S'plain?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

(10-10-2014, 02:50 AM)kandrathe Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 04:49 PM)LavCat Wrote: No you don't.
S'plain?

Crossover cables are so last century:

"Owing to the inclusion of Auto MDI-X capability [1998], modern implementations of the Ethernet over twisted pair standards no longer require the use of crossover cables."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(10-10-2014, 03:20 AM)LavCat Wrote: Crossover cables are so last century:
Well, so is NT4. I guess I would try to get a hold of a third computer/device troubleshoot further, maybe laptop and see if you can get from the Win7 machine to a different machine. Then, if you can get that talking, try the third machine to the NT4 machine.

I'd try to isolate which one is not talking, or listening correctly. I'm suspecting differences in protocol stacks between NT4 and Win7 versions, or a Ethernet card/incompatibility error.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

You may have lost track of the original problem:

"A network without a default gateway is forced to be what Microsoft calls a public network." This is a known, well reported problem with Windows 7. There is no way I have found to set the network to be a work network, at least past a reboot of the system.

Everything works great as long as the Windows 7 firewall is disabled for public networks. Which as I said is not a big problem on this network.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(10-11-2014, 05:53 AM)LavCat Wrote: You may have lost track of the original problem:
I did. Carry on. Smile

(10-02-2014, 05:57 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I just upgraded my home network due to the ever increasing need for bandwidth. A few weeks ago, I canceled everything except for the basic cable package (minimal channels), and upgraded the bandwidth to 50Mbps -- keeping it at about 45$ / month. I catch up on "popular" shows when they get to Hulu, or Netflix, or somewhere else on the Internet.

I'm probably not the only one who's migrating from broadcast media to streaming media.

I stopped subscribing to cable tv about a year ago, and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I actually haven't watched cable tv traditionally for a long while, it was just a matter of officially doing it.

I would even respectfully suggest to you, to take a hard second look at the need for keeping that basic cable package. Unless it is really cheap because of a bundle\deal that you have, or some channels that your family must have. A digital antennae, if your location is suitable may cover that gap.

edited ps. Unless Netflix does a bone head move like a huge price hike and gets greedy and arrogant, similar to most cable companies. It's incredible how much I get from their subscription, even netflix canada vs netflix us, and factoring in ISP cost it still comes in cheaper, compared to what I got with cable tv.
(10-15-2014, 06:35 AM)Hammerskjold Wrote:
(10-02-2014, 05:57 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I just upgraded my home network due to the ever increasing need for bandwidth. A few weeks ago, I canceled everything except for the basic cable package (minimal channels), and upgraded the bandwidth to 50Mbps -- keeping it at about 45$ / month. I catch up on "popular" shows when they get to Hulu, or Netflix, or somewhere else on the Internet.

I'm probably not the only one who's migrating from broadcast media to streaming media.

I stopped subscribing to cable tv about a year ago, and my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. I actually haven't watched cable tv traditionally for a long while, it was just a matter of officially doing it.

I would even respectfully suggest to you, to take a hard second look at the need for keeping that basic cable package. Unless it is really cheap because of a bundle\deal that you have, or some channels that your family must have. A digital antennae, if your location is suitable may cover that gap.

edited ps. Unless Netflix does a bone head move like a huge price hike and gets greedy and arrogant, similar to most cable companies. It's incredible how much I get from their subscription, even netflix canada vs netflix us, and factoring in ISP cost it still comes in cheaper, compared to what I got with cable tv.
I hate the way my cable company operates. If I had any other alternative for high speed Internet I'd have jumped. At this point we keep basic cable because my wife's octogenarian father, who lives with us, likes to watch the Golf channel and MSNBC {wince}. See, there really is a hell.

(10-15-2014, 05:00 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I hate the way my cable company operates.

Same here.

Quote:If I had any other alternative for high speed Internet I'd have jumped. At this point we keep basic cable because my wife's octogenarian father, who lives with us, likes to watch the Golf channel and MSNBC {wince}. See, there really is a hell.

Ah ok, I was going to specify that sports, and some news (local and cable news) are the content that streaming may still have gaps vs traditional cable.

Local news are starting to get more into streaming. But yeah, if your father in law needs the golf channel and cable news channel, that's that.

One side bonus I like with most streaming content wireless network setup, I can basically set up the TV in almost any part of the house, since all I need is an outlet. I know one friend who basically runs his superbowl party sized flatscreen TV as a monitor, and his netbook as the media pc.
(10-15-2014, 07:48 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Ah ok, I was going to specify that sports, and some news (local and cable news) are the content that streaming may still have gaps vs traditional cable.

A common misconception: Link . Click on any of those links in the top ten to watch live streaming sports on network television and even all over the world. Although, while I may be stereotyping here, I doubt someone in an elder age bracket is interested in changing their habits or lifestyle when they are so acclimated to the ease of use from the boob-tube.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
(10-16-2014, 12:30 AM)Taem Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 07:48 PM)Hammerskjold Wrote: Ah ok, I was going to specify that sports, and some news (local and cable news) are the content that streaming may still have gaps vs traditional cable.

A common misconception: Link . Click on any of those links in the top ten to watch live streaming sports on network television and even all over the world. Although, while I may be stereotyping here, I doubt someone in an elder age bracket is interested in changing their habits or lifestyle when they are so acclimated to the ease of use from the boob-tube.

Key word here, traditional, as in traditional way of watching tv. Not everyone uses a PC\media PC\netbook\laptop for their streaming yet. Some stream box built in browsers are not that great to use. I use a smart bluray player for the streaming device for the main TV in my house, because it's relatively easy to use by everyone. It does it's job fairly well, but it's internet browser is pretty horrid.

But sometimes people (not just seniors either) just want to push as few buttons as possible, and veg out in front of a game. Or, some people do not want a keyboard or anything resembling a computer when they want to watch "TV", even if many TVs nowadays are becoming basically computer displays.

You are correct with mentioning ease of use however. UI and basic interface (software and hardware) design is still one area where improvements can be made. Tablets and smartphones used as remotes IMO shows some serious promise in that respect.