Question to veteran D1/hellfire players.
Hey all.

I know that they added all difficulty levels to singleplayer in the hellfire expansion, but I wanted to know how some of the D1/Hellfire vets here play the game, as in: When you play by yourself, do you play in singleplayer, or do you play multiplayer for the increased difficulty?

I would assume the true lastability of the game comes down to playing in multi (again, when playing by yourself) because of the increase to monsters hp, etc.

Vets, how do you play?
Greetings to you.

(02-02-2015, 04:45 PM)hybridmoments Wrote: When you play by yourself, do you play in singleplayer, or do you play multiplayer for the increased difficulty?
I almost never play by myself these days. The game is far too familiar to me to hold much appeal by itself. When I play either game now it is generally with the company of a good friend or two. But that's just me. Smile

(02-02-2015, 04:45 PM)hybridmoments Wrote: I would assume the true lastability of the game comes down to playing in multi (again, when playing by yourself) because of the increase to monsters hp, etc.
For me what makes the game last isn't replaying Hell difficulty repeatedly, but starting new games with different classes. I enjoy all of them. Sometimes I only finish Normal with them, sometimes Nightmare, or even Hell, but the game is most fun for me when I start out fresh with a different play style/class than last time, develop my character and gear, and slay Diablo on a difficulty for the first time.

I suppose that means I enjoy the journey more than the destination. There's no wrong way to enjoy Diablo by yourself, though.

Sometimes, when none of the classes seem appealing to me, I'll play try to play by some unusual set of rules. You can find an example of these here:
http://realmsbeyond.net/diablo/variantsmaster.html

These range from awesome to tedious, use your judgment when selecting one. Haha. I did a coop game with a friend where we did a Bushido/Geezer team. That was a humbling experience. A Warrior that can't tank and a Sorcerer that can't annihilate everything!
PvP.

With the occasional hell/hell co-op.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
PVP is pretty Abysmal in D1

Best way to play the game after you have mastered hell/hell is to play ironman; a test of game knowledge, skill and patience Big Grin
(03-23-2015, 04:59 AM)AltheaLBL Wrote: PVP is pretty Abysmal in D1

Only for people who know little about it, or better yet, who were never any good at it (which often is because of the former) Smile

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Haha.. that's cute Dan. Everyone who was in LE was bored to tears of hearing you talk about it 24/7, I think it's impossible at this point to know little about it.
(03-28-2015, 07:10 AM)AltheaLBL Wrote: Haha.. that's cute Dan. Everyone who was in LE was bored to tears of hearing you talk about it 24/7, I think it's impossible at this point to know little about it.

There was a ton of other PvP'ers in LE besides me, many of who were into it every bit as much as I was. But either way, its one thing to "know" about it, but its another thing entirely to be good at it. Yep, it has flaws with lag, desync, etc, but so does Ironman and pretty much any other PvM variant in the game - especially when you have 3 or 4 players involved.

i think i played too much of diablo 1 hd mod Big Grin

is it possible in vanilla/hellfire diablo to do the chamber of bone quest over and over to receive max guardian s-lvl?
in Vanilla D1 I'm pretty sure it is, though I haven't played single player in many years so I can't recall for sure. For Hellfire, no idea.