The Passing of a Lounger
(01-28-2012, 07:22 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Archon_Wing: in person, Pete is/was a warm and engaging man, full of wit and as sharp as you see from his various contributions here. I'm so pleased I got to visit with him, I just wish I'd had the chance more often.

Occhi

It didn't happen often, but I loved it when Pete would get on Ventrilo with us and just chat for a bit. That warmth and wit and a talent for good conversation was immediately apparent. I miss Pete.
[Image: Sabra%20gold%20copy.jpg]

I blame Tal.

Sabramage Authenticated!
I stopped by in search of information about Diablo III, and was delighted to see The Lurker Lounge still up and running. Then... I came upon this thread :-(
Apologies for my most sincere but very late condolences, and my heart goes out to -Magi for such great loss. I am sending you thoughts of peace and courage, and now post with fond memories and remembrance of Pete.

Lured into Tristram Village in 1998 when the Macintosh version of Diablo was released, I soon started posting Rogue character adventures on the Diablo Strategy Forum (during the tail end of what Armin calls, "those glory days of DSF"). Pete was an experienced Diablo player, and one of the regular posters. His comments on my post were always kind, always encouraging, always wise, and often very funny. In a reply to my post on how a Rogue can clear a level consisting of Lava Maws and Maelstorms with witches thrown in the mix, he quoted Voltaire and commented how "...levels like this tend to build character rather than characters" along with various useful tips and strategies.
In many ways, he was a Deckard Cain ("Cain the Elder") of DSF (and The Lounge), someone who could provide players with valuable advice for "quests" - game or otherwise. At the least, he was for me.
I leveled and retired my Rogue character at 50 in 1999. -Magi, Bolty, and Cathrin[BWO] accompanied me on her final game of Hell/Hell run. I still have screenshots of that golden moment.
Those days may be long gone, but the memory still lives on...

Angelstar3

P.S. "Hello my friend. Stay a while and listen..."
I see some familiar names on this thread.
It's been years (almost a decade?) since I last played my Diablo II Amazon characters and/or any games.
For a short trip down the memory lane and as a tribute to Pete, here's link to Game Spot's "Video Game History Month: Diablo":

http://www.gamespot.com/diablo/videos/vi...lo-6313194
I think my head just exploded. Angelstar3, I had thought you long gone. I mean, you haven't posted here in four years, and that was just to check in.

This thread has really brought out a lot of old Lurkers. I hope you all stick around for D3.
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
(02-01-2012, 04:55 PM)Bolty Wrote: I think my head just exploded. Angelstar3, ...<snip>

Prepare thyself for blasts from the past, Bolty!!!
I hope you are ready for old-timers popping out of "Lurk mode" en masse when retail D3 hits the shelves. Classic Diablo fans will buy this game simply because of its name and history, and Veterans will seek out a familiar place like The Lounge.
I haven't touched a single game for over a decade ( I checked :-P), but even I can't stay away from another dose of Diablo series (Collector's Edition, the regular game, Book of Cain, even Diablo III Gaming Mouse *sigh*).

With utmost respect for Pete, and apologies for going off-topic,
Angelstar3
(Magi, please check your PM)

(02-02-2012, 10:39 PM)Angelstar3 Wrote: With utmost respect for Pete, and apologies for going off-topic,
Angelstar3
(Magi, please check your PM)[/align]

I think Pete would not have minded that little bit of off-topic Angelstar3. Smile
n(ice) t(hread) (f)or (P)ete
(01-28-2012, 07:22 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Archon_Wing: in person, Pete is/was a warm and engaging man, full of wit and as sharp as you see from his various contributions here. I'm so pleased I got to visit with him, I just wish I'd had the chance more often.

Occhi

I would have expected no less. It's great that some of us were able to meet with him.

(02-01-2012, 04:55 PM)Bolty Wrote: I think my head just exploded. Angelstar3, I had thought you long gone. I mean, you haven't posted here in four years, and that was just to check in.

This thread has really brought out a lot of old Lurkers. I hope you all stick around for D3.

It's nice seeing you all as well; and yea, we'll be at D3 once Buzzard finally gets its act together-- which is gonna be a while.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Farewell Pete; I know I'm late, and I'm sorry. I didn't really know you, but reading your posts, and indeed, the previous posts just on this thread, I can conclude that you were a very charismatic and intelligent fellow. That said, you had no problem whatsoever with calling people out when they were wrong.

And please, PLEASE, don't associate him with Cain. Cain is much older, and although he was very wise, he was and still is senile. Don't listen to him.
I found this just today.

I'm flabbergasted. What an incredible loss. Pete had been around forever. He had that particular style and voice which no one could emulate. He really, really cared about this community. He cared so much that occasionally, out of sheer frustration, he'd throw his arms up and say, "I just don't care anymore! Rot, then, you fools!" But that frustration was indicative of just how deeply he did care.

I know it's just never going to be the same without Pete. Farewell...

Jim
I circle back to the Lounge every now and then when I can't sleep. I always thought Pete kept the forums going through sheer force of curmudgeonly will. I'm glad to see that the Lounge is still here, but I'm saddened that a pillar of the community has passed.

You are missed, Pete.
A plague of exploding high-fives.
I just learned about Pete's passing. I come back and check the Lounge every couple of years to see what's going on, but I almost never visit the Announcements. I searched for Pete to see what he'd been saying recently, and only found a thread about missing him, which made me check the announcements.

When I was young, I had a very high opinion of my own intelligence, to the point of arrogance. Pete was one of the first people to make me stop and think about my own opinions and beliefs before spewing them forth as if they were fact. I thank him for that, as it led to a great amount of personal growth for me, particularly the realization that I am not as smart as I thought I was, and that thinking before speaking is a good idea (I do still struggle with that).

I know that I didn't have a ton of interaction with him compared to other members here, but I will not forget him.

Thanks, Pete.