unhandled exception error
I'm getting an unhandled exception error every time I try to run DII. It used to work.

I confess I was just trying to log in to refresh my characters, not to actually play, but I shall be disappointed if I lose them as they represent a few years of my life.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
(10-02-2015, 12:26 AM)LavCat Wrote: I'm getting an unhandled exception error every time I try to run DII. It used to work.

I confess I was just trying to log in to refresh my characters, not to actually play, but I shall be disappointed if I lose them as they represent a few years of my life.

There are lots of possibilities. Try the following:

0. Update your video card driver (or in some cases, try reverting it).

1. Create a shortcut to dii.exe or whatever it's called and put it on your desktop. Set compatibility mode to XP v3 and give admin privileges. Reboot your computer and try the shortcut. If that does not work, try putting -w at the end of your target, i.e. "c:/program files/diablo/diablo.exe" -w ... and see if it works.

2. There are known issues with similar errors and sound. Users have reported great success by placing -ns at the end of their target.

3. If none of this works, try a complete uninstall/reinstall. You may want to backup your save folder, but it usually does not get deleted.

4. If after all this it still does not work, then something is wrong with your registry, and in this case, search for diablo and delete all registry settings related to it, then reinstall... but please, make sure you know what you are doing. I don't want to get blamed if you brick your computer.

Best of luck!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Thank you so much!

The -w option worked. I have a new graphics card since the last time I tried to play DII. There is one and only one version of the driver that supports the card, so reverting or trying a newer version of the driver were not possible for me.

But thankfully my characters still seem to be there.
No problem. It seems you play single player. I highly recommend using d2se as the gui to run diablo. You can play any patch of d2, as well as any mod you download, such as MedianXLU, EasternSun, SNEJ, etc... There are some truly excellent mods out there. Also, there is a way to take advantage of current gen monitors and play in higher resolution if you like, but don't go on battle.net with it; b.net detects anything that modifies it's dll's, even FoxBats gfx dehancer: http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=116

Anyway, have fun, enjoy your game. Glad I could be of some help.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I play only on realm battle.net. I never tried DII single or open player.

While experimenting around, I found the -opengl switch worked. At first the colors were all messed up, however after starting and exiting a game the colors returned to normal.

Only problem now is there are big rectangular holes in the ground on a regular grid pattern, but I suppose one can't ask for everything.
Not sure why I was expecting any different, but I loaded the latest Catalyst beta driver for my card.

Exactly the same results: non OpenGL crashes, OpenGL has artifacts. Clearly DII is not one of their priorities.

As a sanity check I dug out an old OpenGL demonstration program I wrote some years ago and it ran without any artifacts or problems.
Downgrade to 2d video, or use 3rd party glide plugin: Svens d2 glide wrapper. I have no idea if b.net checks for this, however it will allow modern gaming cards to actually use the glide to render. Sorry no link, on phone atm. Use Google if interested.
I've always used 2D. I don't like the look of 3D.