I have to wonder some times...
While browsing CNN during a late lunch, I came accross a CNN/Money article talking about the high salaries paid in some state/local governments to certain groups. The author was complaining that fire fighters, police officers, and similar saftey officers could earn up to $130K/year. Question, what about such folks as Assistant Associate City Managers for pot holes, sidewalks, dog poop, etc., all of whom generall earn well in excess of $100K. Oh... I forgot... they're "Highly educated" and "Well Qualified" compared to the cop who gets shot at on the street. My question is, if you're taking pot shots at what public safety employees are being paid (I wonder how much value the author places on her personal safety), why not look at the bloated executive level of municipal government? (Example, Collier County FL brought in a new school super from Rockford, IL... the first thing he did was start bringing in his cronies from Rockford, all at salaries in excess of $100K). I guess the author places the blame on "unionization" of the public saftey group. Municipal executives also have unions... the good ole boys club and recruiters.
Quote:While browsing CNN during a late lunch, I came accross a CNN/Money article talking about the high salaries paid in some state/local governments to certain groups. The author was complaining that fire fighters, police officers, and similar saftey officers could earn up to $130K/year. Question, what about such folks as Assistant Associate City Managers for pot holes, sidewalks, dog poop, etc., all of whom generall earn well in excess of $100K. Oh... I forgot... they're "Highly educated" and "Well Qualified" compared to the cop who gets shot at on the street. My question is, if you're taking pot shots at what public safety employees are being paid (I wonder how much value the author places on her personal safety), why not look at the bloated executive level of municipal government? (Example, Collier County FL brought in a new school super from Rockford, IL... the first thing he did was start bringing in his cronies from Rockford, all at salaries in excess of $100K). I guess the author places the blame on "unionization" of the public saftey group. Municipal executives also have unions... the good ole boys club and recruiters.
Ain't none of it fair. All the unions did was try to make it less unfair. Maybe that's the best that can be hoped for.

As to white collar talent, there is a reason for looking hard for highly qualified and thus slightly high priced talent for city and county jobs.

When decisions and plans are made, there are profound ripple effects, be it water distribution, roadways, educations infrastructure projects, on multi million dollar porposals and budgets. That idea that we need to hire sharp people to do this is not a bad one.

Whether or not the average city manages to attract that level of talent is another matter. :P

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:While browsing CNN during a late lunch, I came accross a CNN/Money article talking about the high salaries paid in some state/local governments to certain groups. The author was complaining that fire fighters, police officers, and similar saftey officers could earn up to $130K/year.

Although I am for high salaries for the groups you mentioned......that is a lot of money. Is that before of after tax?

You say could earn; do you also know what an average salary would be for eg a police officer?

Quote:As to white collar talent, there is a reason for looking hard for highly qualified and thus slightly high priced talent for city and county jobs.

When decisions and plans are made, there are profound ripple effects, be it water distribution, roadways, educations infrastructure projects, on multi million dollar porposals and budgets. That idea that we need to hire sharp people to do this is not a bad one.
Exactly. (...and written better than my reply would have been.)

Mismanaged cities can be quite annoying as well as dangerous. Just look at my neighbor, the District of Columbia. They're on their third mayor since Barry, and they're still trying to recover. At least they're picking fairly decent mayors now.
Quote:Exactly. (...and written better than my reply would have been.)
Glad we are on the same wavelength on something. Yay.
Quote:Mismanaged cities can be quite annoying as well as dangerous. Just look at my neighbor, the District of Columbia. They're on their third mayor since Barry, and they're still trying to recover. At least they're picking fairly decent mayors now.
Your neighbor? I thought you were on the left coast.

How close to DC are you? I'm gonna be in town in a week or so.

Care for a pint or two, on me?

Monday, June 16, I have a bit of time on my hands. PM me if you are interested.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Monday, June 16, I have a bit of time on my hands. PM me if you are interested.
Sounds good. Will PM soon when I have a little time.
Quote:Although I am for high salaries for the groups you mentioned......that is a lot of money. Is that before of after tax?

You say could earn; do you also know what an average salary would be for eg a police officer?

Salaries for most starting police officers begin around 35k in most decent size municipalities (before taxes). Special duty and court time adds some money onto that amount depending on how intelligently the officer schedules their court dates. Overtime for the profession is the norm but most cities have in place a system where an officers overtime for each year is accumulated in some way and can be cashed out at the end of the year, it is generally not added to each check.

After 5 to 10 years on the force it is possible to have a salary upwards of around 75k and with accrued overtime cashouts as well as special duty and court time it is within reason to see over 100k for the job.
Quote:Salaries for most starting police officers begin around 35k in most decent size municipalities (before taxes). Special duty and court time adds some money onto that amount depending on how intelligently the officer schedules their court dates. Overtime for the profession is the norm but most cities have in place a system where an officers overtime for each year is accumulated in some way and can be cashed out at the end of the year, it is generally not added to each check.

After 5 to 10 years on the force it is possible to have a salary upwards of around 75k and with accrued overtime cashouts as well as special duty and court time it is within reason to see over 100k for the job.

Here in Santa Barbara, starting pay is $66k up to $81k (link). Starting pay for CHP is $77k. If you transfer to Los Angeles, they will match your pay and give you $10,000. I feel really sorry for those poor cops making 35k.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Discussing specific salaries on a non-regional forum is somewhat useless.

I mean some areas of the country $2500 a month for a mortgage payment is a very nice 2500+ square foot house. Other areas it's a <1600 square foot starter home. Salaries vary accordingly.

Making any given thousands per year in one area is completely different from making the same amount in another.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Sounds good. Will PM soon when I have a little time.

You could count me in too, I'm up in Balitmore, but moving down to Rockville in about a month and a half.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

The normal complaint that most people level at government employees is that they work in a non-competitive job. Thus the salary question will always be there. Most people have some story or some measure that they use to complain about the government doing its job. The three guys standing around the pot hole where only one of them is working, the crazy long lines in the post office or the 12hour wait in line here in Colorado to get a drivers license (the state didn't increase the funding for the office for the last ten plus years). The kicker to most of these complaints is that they are artificially created by the government. In Colorado we must vote on tax increases. Thus if you study the budget carefully you will see that critical services are neglected (held year to year at the same budget level, letting inflation destroy the value) while political spending to special interests in increased. This justifies the need to raise taxes to "fix" things.

In private industry the situation self-corrects with either the company making changes or going out of business. You see this with our private trash haulers trying to find ways to save gas and not jack up the price. As the price of gas moves up, I'm looking to see which one is going to adapt the fastest to give them my business. In another district here in Colorado with government trash, they are not reacting as quickly or maybe not at all. Lots of talk but not crises reaction like their job was on the line. More, lets jack up the taxes and reduce the service.

In the end you just have to suck it up and accept it. Life isn't fair. That my neighbor the cop is making as much as me the engineer with multiple degrees is just a fact of life. The Feds have been paying him overtime to sit on a dam just in case some terrorist wants to destroy it. I could quit my job and do his job. But I enjoy my job and would do it even if it paid less. In the end, that's really all I can expect.

If you really wanted good short term cash, I've heard on CNN that they are paying $120k tax free to drive supply trucks in Iraq if you are a US citizen and can drive a semi-truck. :P (I've heard that people didn't like the job because its a bit too hot there....)

Terenas
Yuri - Mage/Arcane 85 Undead
Thirdrail - Shaman/Resto 85 Tauren
Vicstull - Rogue/Subtlety 85 Troll
Penten - Priest/Discipline 85 Blood Elf
Storage guild Bassomatic
Quote:Discussing specific salaries on a non-regional forum is somewhat useless.

I mean some areas of the country $2500 a month for a mortgage payment is a very nice 2500+ square foot house. Other areas it's a <1600 square foot starter home. Salaries vary accordingly.

Making any given thousands per year in one area is completely different from making the same amount in another.

Yeah, cost of living varies widely across the country. I could buy a 1600ish sq ft 3 bed 2 bath home here at a 15 year mortgage payment of about 550-600/mo, and property taxes of about 1000/yr. So you see, tossing out dollar figures doesn't mean a thing.

--Mav
Quote:You could count me in too, I'm up in Balitmore, but moving down to Rockville in about a month and a half.
Hrm, may have missed him tho. On my way out the door to work I did the "will PM" message. I PM'd on my next visit to the Lounge (I don't Lounge at work), but have no reply so far, and there's a message on some thread here about how he is gone for two weeks.

I guess I shoulda done the extra two minutes or so to do a PM that morning. Sorry, Occhi.

(I did also send an email via the Lounge profile.)

Otherwise, yes, we will have to be the official Washington Welcome Wagon. Send me a PM when you've moved down, especially if you want to cross paths.

-V

ps. There's at least one other Lurker in the area, though it's up to him to reveal himself.