Diablo for D2 Players
I spent a little time today outlining the differences (frustrations) Diablo II players are likely to encounter when playing Diablo for the first time. You may be interested in it here:
http://kennedy.greg.googlepages.com/d4d2.html
Suggestions are welcome. I'm interested in the big unexpected caveats that players may find so that they don't get annoyed when the game does something they didn't expect.
Quote:I spent a little time today outlining the differences (frustrations) Diablo II players are likely to encounter when playing Diablo for the first time. You may be interested in it here:
http://kennedy.greg.googlepages.com/d4d2.html
Suggestions are welcome. I'm interested in the big unexpected caveats that players may find so that they don't get annoyed when the game does something they didn't expect.

Nice guide man.
At some parts I was laughing really hard. I personally dont love D2 so advices like:

"Your corpse does NOT come back to town"
"your arrows and spells can damage your teammates, though you are not hostile to one another!"
"When item durability reaches 0, the item is destroyed entirely."

are mading me laugh, really :-)
When I imagine surprised guy who just executed his friend by arrows and has no idea what happened ... :-)

Just two minor points:

Quote:Identifying items is not a free service. Deckard Cain charges 100 gold per item for identification. You may also purchase or find Identify scrolls to do the job yourself, but it is more expensive than having Cain do it.
ID scroll costs exactly as much as Cain service.

Quote:Diablo came in the days before modern ethernet networks were highly popular, and sadly it does not allow TCP/IP play over LAN. You may attempt to get one of the other methods working, but most players will hop on Battle.net instead. Here are some of the differences.

You can play Diablo over LAN.
Quote:You can play Diablo over LAN.
The OP never said Diablo couldn't be played over a LAN, just that it can't with TCP/IP. Diablo uses IPX, which isn't installed by default in Windows XP, and isn't included at all in Windows Vista.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

Quote:. . . and isn't included at all in Windows Vista.
Yep. Run XP as long as you can, then switch to Linux or buy a Mac :lol:

--Pete

PS to Hornpipe2: You can run IPX on TCP/IP on XT and Diablo will then run fine on a LAN.

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll fix up the couple of problems here. Also, I posted it over at diii.net forums, where Flux took it and wiki-fied it. So now the community-edited version is here:

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/D1_Differences

Quote:When I imagine surprised guy who just executed his friend by arrows and has no idea what happened ... :-)
The exact situation I tried to avoid by writing this : )
Hi,

Quote:Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll fix up the couple of problems here. Also, I posted it over at diii.net forums, where Flux took it and wiki-fied it. So now the community-edited version is here:
Good job overall. You might point out, in the 'friendly' fire section, that since the game is peer-to-peer, what you see on your screen might not (probably isn't) what the other players see on theirs. Thus, you might be aiming away from you friends on your screen and still hitting them.

Other than that, it is kinda humorous that an eleven (nearly twelve) year old game still gets (and probably deserves) this level of effort.:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?