Mass Effect woes
Yodelehi, fellow Lurkers!

Well, I need something, so I'm back at posting (;) and /shame). I played quite a bit of Mass Effect on the 360 lately. I like it, despite the hiccups and the horrible item system. I finished Veteran and Hardcore difficulties with an Infiltrator and a Soldier without any problems and started a game on Insanity difficulty with whatever the pure biotics class is called in English. Bad choice? Maybe, it turned out to be unbeatable for me, the first opponents I encountered on the Citadel, the assassins at Chora's Den (guessing at the name) took me about 15 tries to kill.

I can't kill squat, health regeneration of enemies is ridiculous and they dish out the hurt in a matter that can only be described as pure Insanity (duh).

In my frustration I wanted to start a game on Insanity with one of my other characters that are decked out in top-notch gear. Go to main screen, select Options, set difficulty to Insanity, start new game. The first time you can access the in-game options screen (AGES of cinematics you can't skip first) -> difficulty: Hardcore. D'oh!

I try again with my other character, difficulty: Veteran. Grmbl! A patient person I am not. Those of you who have played the game know it takes a lot of time to get started and I really don't want to watch the opening cinematics three times more before figuring out how to play on Insanity with my high-level chars. I'd very much appreciate any help, even if people just tell me that it's impossible to do what I'm asking.

thanks in advance

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Ah well, apparently not many have bothered to play Mass Effect that much. If anyone is interested, I figured out the solution, it is somewhat obscure.

To play one of your characters again in another difficulty setting than the one you originally started with you actually need to:

- load your last save-game from your first (previous) campaign
- set the difficulty to the desired level
- save
- finish the game

You now get two versions of your character to choose from if you load an existing ID at the start of a campaign, annoyingly the difficulty setting is not shown, you have to go by time played or the time you saved.

Bit weird, if you ask me.

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:Ah well, apparently not many have bothered to play Mass Effect that much. If anyone is interested, I figured out the solution, it is somewhat obscure.

To play one of your characters again in another difficulty setting than the one you originally started with you actually need to:

- load your last save-game from your first (previous) campaign
- set the difficulty to the desired level
- save
- finish the game

You now get two versions of your character to choose from if you load an existing ID at the start of a campaign, annoyingly the difficulty setting is not shown, you have to go by time played or the time you saved.

Bit weird, if you ask me.

take care
Tarabulus

I'm just getting through mass effect for the first time now, so I'm glad to have this info. I just didn't have any ability to provide it myself.

-Jester