Containing Multitudes
Quote:That's part of the problem, Bush and the Republicans are stacking the deck with the war card. They think that they rattle sabres and it will put people in line, but the actions of North Korea and Iran have shown that we can rattle sabres all we want, they'll still keep going about there business. Bush's actions, and the actions the Republican front runners are likely to take, will make the US look more like a paper tiger in the eyes of the tyrants of the world instead of trying to build solid concensus between free world leaders that some of those tyrants need to be dealt with.

We have missed so many golden opportunities to do the right thing in the last 20 years that it's no longer funny (and yes, I'm taking Bush I, Clinton, and Bush II) with doing the right thing. Bush I should have finished the job with Saddam back in '91, but thought it better to leave him in power and not let Iran slip in to Iraq like it has now. Clinton should have dealt with Rwanda and should have dealt better with Balkans. Bush II should have let diplomacy run it's course as Saddam was already running scared, if the diplomatic arm had kept up instead of the chicken hawks having their way, Iraq would be a lot better shape now, likewise Iran might have been a bit more open and less beligerent, likewise NK if diplomatic pressure brought a conclusion to the situation, which it very likely would have looking back at things now. Likewise Bush II miscalculated and should have finished the deal with bin Laden, gone into the border region of Pakistan and cleaned it up (probably the whole of the country, but then things get screwy when you deal with a nuclear armed country) and gone after Iran where we truly would have been hailed as liberators by the general populous as the Iranians are just as oppressed, if not more so, than the Iraqis were under Saddam.

Simply put, we cannot continue down the road that Bush has started and that seems to be the road all the Republican canidates want to take. Going down that road is self destructive and we need to turn things around quick.
I'd say generally I agree with you.

Two thoughts; 1] Nature abhors a vacuum, so if the US does not act (Rwanda, Sudan, DNK, Iran) perhaps someone else will opt to step in and protect the free world in our absence. Hopefully, someone we like. 2] Talk is cheap, and during an election year its practically free. I wouldn't put too much stock into what is said by politicians in the budget tightening, program changing, fear mongering, or saber rattling areas this year. When a bill hits the House and Senate floors, then we can start to worry about things happening. As far as using troops; Well, we would need to get them out of Iraq to do anything more with them.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:When a bill hits the House and Senate floors, then we can start to worry about things happening

And what are you going to do, then? Bleed on them?
Quote:Especially since the last Texas clique approved lap dog has done so well for the country.;)
I hate to tell you this, but the clique who approved GW Bush was based in the GHW Bush political power base, which is somewhat north of Virginia.

Or didn't you pay attention in 2000?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:I hate to tell you this, but the clique who approved GW Bush was based in the GHW Bush political power base, which is somewhat north of Virginia.

Or didn't you pay attention in 2000?

Occhi

Neocons...can live with'm, can't shoot'm (of course they can shoot each other... :whistling:)
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:And what are you going to do, then? Bleed on them?
Donate. Participate. Call. Write. Vote. It's more of an art form than a science. I learned working on the farm that in order to get your job done you often have to wade through the crap. And, yes. If called upon to bleed, as a good citizen who enjoys the freedoms this country offers, I will answer the call to do what I am asked.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]