Loading Problem in D: Hellfire
I just installed D1 and Hellfire on my laptop. I moved an old char file from the desktop (where it works just fine) and tried to use it. It loads the game fine until I try to use the portal I have open. I am having the same issue with a newly created char file when I try to use the stairs down to level 2 right at the beginning.

The game flips to the portal screen and then freezes about 1/4 of the load through.

The errors listed are as follows:

"Hellfire cannot read a required data file. Your Diablo CD may not be in the CDROM drive. Please ensure that the Diablo disk is in the CDROM drive and press OK. To leave the program, press Exit."

I've tried swapping Diablo disks (I have two) and clicking OK to no avail. When I click Exit, I get the data file error message once the program closes.

"Hellfire was unable to open a required data file. Your Diablo CD may not be in the CDROM drive. If the problem persists try uninstalling and reinstalling Hellfire using the program SETUP.exe on the Hellfire CDROM. The problem occurred while trying to load a file."

I reinstalled and it didn't help. I also patched Hellfire and that didn't help.

Please help me? I really need to be able to make this game work.
Here are some spontaneous thoughts:
Do you get the same result when you start Hellfire with no CD in your drive? If so, the paths in the registry (Do you use Windows?) could be wrong. Another thing is to check what differs between your desktop pc and your laptop, maybe Diablo and/or Hellfire version, operation system, file system, read/write permissions (e.g. by NTFS or in properties tab) and/or some other things. Further you could try the same with a Diablo char (if this works you know this is a Hellfire specific problem).
Well, I won't wager my life that this helps but it cannot getting worse, can it?
--Spelunker