(07-17-2010, 02:55 AM)--Pete Wrote: Although that doesn't answer the question, it does solve the problem and that's good enough. Smile

It does answer the "any ideas?" question. Wink
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

(07-17-2010, 04:59 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
(07-17-2010, 02:55 AM)--Pete Wrote: Although that doesn't answer the question, it does solve the problem and that's good enough. Smile

It does answer the "any ideas?" question. Wink

No, it doesn't. I'd built a box around the problem (what's the escape code). You cleverly stepped out of the box and handed me a solution to the real problem, but not the answer to my question. The "any ideas?" was in reference to other potential escape codes.

Then again, yes, you did answer the "any ideas?" with an idea.

OK, I'm confused. Confused

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

(07-17-2010, 05:33 AM)--Pete Wrote: OK, I'm confused. Confused

I think I am now too.

By the way, I noticed with the solution that I proposed that if you preview your post, it converts the html entity back to an ASCII character in the code box. I then replaced these with the html code again before making the final post.

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

(07-17-2010, 06:29 AM)LennyLen Wrote: By the way, I noticed with the solution that I proposed that if you preview your post, it converts the html entity back to an ASCII character in the code box. I then replaced these with the html code again before making the final post.

I noticed that, too. It also happens if you edit the post. The board software apparently parses the post and replaces the HTML codes with the symbols they represent. Then it parses them again when you actually post.

--Pete

Hi,

(12-01-2009, 03:19 AM)LavCat Wrote: 300 Spartans sounds like the right title, and it was made at the right time, 1962.

Finally got it on NetFlix. It wasn't available for streaming, and got bumped a few times. Sue and I watched the first twenty minutes or so, then I fast forwarded through the rest.

I wasn't looking for a documentary, I've seen plenty. But is it too much to ask for an historical piece to be at lest a little bit right? This was a typical Hollywood production:
Romans, Greeks, Persians? Who cares, they're all ancient people. The least they could have done was had the Persian dancing girls doing a belly dance.
The American audience demands romance, so even if it's totally anachronistic and irrelevant, put in a big glob of modern ('60s) teen behavior.

And so on.

It hurts, but I've got to admit that this film is actually worse than 300. It is both less historically accurate and less entertaining. I somehow feel that I've been taken. If so, congratulations. Well played.

Big GrinTongueBig Grin

--Pete

(07-18-2010, 07:17 PM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(12-01-2009, 03:19 AM)LavCat Wrote: 300 Spartans sounds like the right title, and it was made at the right time, 1962.

Finally got it on NetFlix. It wasn't available for streaming, and got bumped a few times. Sue and I watched the first twenty minutes or so, then I fast forwarded through the rest.

I wasn't looking for a documentary, I've seen plenty. But is it too much to ask for an historical piece to be at lest a little bit right? This was a typical Hollywood production:
Romans, Greeks, Persians? Who cares, they're all ancient people. The least they could have done was had the Persian dancing girls doing a belly dance.
The American audience demands romance, so even if it's totally anachronistic and irrelevant, put in a big glob of modern ('60s) teen behavior.

And so on.

It hurts, but I've got to admit that this film is actually worse than 300. It is both less historically accurate and less entertaining. I somehow feel that I've been taken. If so, congratulations. Well played.

Big GrinTongueBig Grin

--Pete

Well, I was a teen in '62.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Hi,

(07-18-2010, 07:24 PM)LavCat Wrote: Well, I was a teen in '62.

Good point. I was one, too. And back then, I'd have paid more attention to the dancing girls than to the costumes and story.Smile

--Pete

(07-17-2010, 02:55 AM)--Pete Wrote: Hi,

(07-17-2010, 02:37 AM)LennyLen Wrote:
(01-04-2010, 09:31 AM)[wcip]Angel Wrote: . . .
Wink

I used HTML entity codes. There's a list of them here.
Why, thank you, Lenny. Although that doesn't answer the question, it does solve the problem and that's good enough. Smile

--Pete
I [see] you want to use special chars, like ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯

Cool
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

(07-19-2010, 05:24 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I [see] you want to use special chars, like ¡ ¢ £ ¤ ¥ ¦ § ¨ © ª « ¬ ­ ® ¯

Not really. I already knew of a few ways of doing that, including using the Windows Character Map app. I hadn't thought of using the code for the character, which Lenny so cleverly pointed out solves the problem. The immediate reason I was looking for an escape character was to get [wcip]Angel's name to work right in the quote line. I'm still interested in the escape code.

--Pete

(07-19-2010, 05:55 PM)--Pete Wrote: I'm still interested in the escape code.
I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by escape code. Is it like Alt+091, and Alt+093? Or something like &GT and &LT?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

(07-19-2010, 05:55 PM)--Pete Wrote: I'm still interested in the escape code.

I don't think there is one.

(07-19-2010, 06:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by escape code. Is it like Alt+091, and Alt+093? Or something like &GT and &LT?

An escape code is simply a character (or string of characters), which when parsed get interpreted as saying 'do something special with the following text.'

For example, a forum that uses an XHTML based markup might have <code></code> tags. But let's say you were trying to tell someone what the code tags were. If you simply typed in the tags as is, they'll get converted, and not show up. To allow for this, good forum software will have an escape code (aka escape sequence) which tells the parser not to convert the following tag. The most common escape code is \, or ^. So for the above example, you'd write something like \<code>blah blah</code> which would result in <code>blah blah</code> being displayed.

-W.C. Fields
Hi,

(07-19-2010, 06:21 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by escape code. Is it like Alt+091, and Alt+093? Or something like &amp;GT and &amp;LT?

A pretty good definition is contained in this, especially the second meaning. Usually, escape codes tell whatever is parsing the input string that what follows is to be treated differently. So, for instance, in most Unix documents, \f means to insert a form feed, not to print the letter f. The back slash is the escape code. The concept had its origins in the bad old days when the ESC key was used to tell a communication device (often a dumb terminal) that what followed was a command code. Escape code, escape sequence, and escape character are pretty much used interchangeably in all but formal CS papers. They have a number of related meanings, and which is meant is usually clear from the context.

Probably the most used escape codes are the various comment indicators of computer languages. They tell the parser that, until some condition is met, it should not process the input as code.

Frankly, I'm surprised that an old hand like you has never encountered it.

--Pete

(07-19-2010, 07:08 PM)--Pete Wrote: Frankly, I'm surprised that an old hand like you has never encountered it.
Well, yes. I've run across many different types of handling of "special characters" when parsing strings of input. But, I understood "escape codes" as you describe dealing with old terminals.

I've research MyBB, and how it parses HTML. Some simple tests show that it doesn't parse our &gt; &lt; or &amp; type codes. Some Google against bracket and username reveals that this is a problem which is often dealt with by forbidding most special characters from user names.

Some things may not be enabled here, like;

Code:
<div class="menu">Text Here..             <- Those spaces won't be merged</div>

PHP Code:
<?php 
// Comment
$mybb->user['var'] = "Hi";  ?>

I haven't found any mention of how to deal with the use of [ or ] in messages, or in user names without confusing tags.