Ares -- or some classical greek hunter
Here is a small photo of my latest work...

[Image: 11-11-09_2110.jpg]

I'm working this one in poly clay. The figure is about 18" tall. The red rod is just a reference to insure the hands line up for an eventual spear.

Today I covered him in a thin layer of clear latex bathtub caulk. Tomorrow I can make it a little thicker, and then add another layer on Friday. Once it's about 3/8" thick, then I will make a plaster mother mold to support the latex negative mold. We then poor in hot wax and dump it out repeatedly to build up about 1/4" of wax inside the mold.

The wax then forms a positive image which I will add surface details, then add a pouring cup, sprues and gates to vent the bronze around. Then the wax is enclosed in a plaster and silica sand mold, and eventually cooked for 24 hours in a kiln to remove the moisture and burn out the wax leaving a negative void ready for the bronze.

Here is a pour I snapped some photos of last July.

[Image: 07-15-09_1346.jpg]

[Image: 07-15-09_1348.jpg]

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Here is a small photo of my latest work...

[Image: 11-11-09_2110.jpg]

I'm working this one in poly clay. The figure is about 18" tall. The red rod is just a reference to insure the hands line up for an eventual spear.

Today I covered him in a thin layer of clear latex bathtub caulk. Tomorrow I can make it a little thicker, and then add another layer on Friday. Once it's about 3/8" thick, then I will make a plaster mother mold to support the latex negative mold. We then poor in hot wax and dump it out repeatedly to build up about 1/4" of wax inside the mold.

The wax then forms a positive image which I will add surface details, then add a pouring cup, sprues and gates to vent the bronze around. Then the wax is enclosed in a plaster and silica sand mold, and eventually cooked for 24 hours in a kiln to remove the moisture and burn out the wax leaving a negative void ready for the bronze.

Here is a pour I snapped some photos of last July.

[Image: 07-15-09_1346.jpg]

[Image: 07-15-09_1348.jpg]

I'm assuming you are the guy with the black visor?
Quote:I'm assuming you are the guy with the black visor?
You can't tell? :)

I would love to be involved in the pour, but for insurance reasons, only full time employee's are allowed within the red zone during the actual process.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]