A terrible, terrible tragedy.
Quote:But why would your government produce so much weaponry, and also sell it to its own civilians while there actually trying to harm you?
You are guilty of a false premise. The government does not produce the weapons, arms companies do. If you are trying to mix apples and oranges between the arms developed and made for the American military and the arms for sale to citizens, you are guilty of trying to muddy the waters. In this little derail/OT matter is the arms available to citizens, and what their purpose is.
Quote:If I would want to control the people I would not give them any weapons...or is that a strange thought?
Thank you, Eppie the Tyrant. Here is your scepter, here is your crown, now won't you please sit down?;) While seated, note the significance of the Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Quote:Anyway, it is interesting to see that there are also non rightwing extremist (one man) groups that want to fight against the government.:)
What is that in reference to? Your mistake in equating all dissent against government to "right wing" is an indicator of your bias, or perhaps an unfamiliarity with American political strains. There is a significant libertarian strand in America who are hardly "right wing."

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:You are guilty of a false premise. The government does not produce the weapons, arms companies do. If you are trying to mix apples and oranges between the arms developed and made for the American military and the arms for sale to citizens, you are guilty of trying to muddy the waters. In this little derail/OT matter is the arms available to citizens, and what their purpose is.
Mine was a very light post. Indeed weapons are made by companies and not by the government. It was anyway just me trying to be pn the site of the US government once....and now I'm wrong again.:D

Quote:Thank you, Eppie the Tyrant. Here is your scepter, here is your crown, now won't you please sit down?;) While seated, note the significance of the Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

What is that in reference to? Your mistake in equating all dissent against government to "right wing" is an indicator of your bias, or perhaps an unfamiliarity with American political strains. There is a significant libertarian strand in America who are hardly "right wing."

Occhi

I was refereing to the right wing militia (which I have seen documentaries about). These heavily armed groups that don't do anything but training against the black, gay, muslim government that you have at the moment in your country.<_<

Of course I understand that there are not only right wing anti government groups in the US. Remember that for me as dutchman even your democrats are towards extreme right.:whistling:
Quote:I was refereing to the right wing militia (which I have seen documentaries about). These heavily armed groups that don't do anything but training against the black, gay, muslim government that you have at the moment in your country.<_<
Which one?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:To illustrate rather crudely, you don't need to have the right to masturbate to pictures of Rose McGowan spelled out. It is inherent in your being.

Occhi

priceless :D

Rather sad there had to be a mass shooting and a rather lengthy thread going offtopic multiple times to produce this gem, though.:(

anyway, /salute Occhi

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:priceless :D
Rather sad there had to be a mass shooting and a rather lengthy thread going offtopic multiple times to produce this gem, though.:(

anyway, /salute Occhi

take care
Tarabulus

I would like to have a comment on this and then I will really, really, really, really stop posting in this thread.

You said this thread has been going offtopic a few times (also in the thread these kind of remarks were made maybe also by myself). However if I might take my fellow lurkers back to post 1 in this thread; it just gives a link, and [wcip]angel states that 'words fail me'. The title was "a terrible, terrible tragedy".

I think this info gives every lurker a chance to steer the thread in whatever direction he thinks is appropriate.
I mean if the idea was to just say how terrible we all think it was, we might get something like: I think it is terrible......I think it is even more terrible.......yeah whatever but I said it first so I find it most terrible........I just talked to my father and he said it is 100 times more terrible........I always will find it as terrible as you plus 1

that would not be much of a thread.

Honestly without the occasional offtopic thread diversions I would not visit the site very often......

Now I'm off to home where I will drink a good glass of cold greco di tufo...have a nice weekend everybody.
Quote:Now I'm off to home where I will drink a good glass of cold greco di tufo...have a nice weekend everybody.
I recommend Grappa, but tastes differ. Have a nice weekend yourself.

Occhi

In Memory of Pete
Quote:I would like to have a comment on this and then I will really, really, really, really stop posting in this thread.

You said this thread has been going offtopic a few times (also in the thread these kind of remarks were made maybe also by myself). However if I might take my fellow lurkers back to post 1 in this thread; it just gives a link, and [wcip]angel states that 'words fail me'. The title was "a terrible, terrible tragedy".

You know what I find more chilling... and sad? Last week in the city near where I live a 19 year old male, a 15 year old female, and a 15 year old male ambushed 2 middle aged guys in an alley after they left a bar. They robbed them, made them kneel on the ground, then gave each one a bullet to the back of their heads killing them both. A far lower body count, but I feel it is a far worse indictment of our society than Cho.

Seung-Hui Cho was mentally disturbed. What these three kids did was cold, planned, and ruthless with no hint of insanity involved. You might be able to screen and protect a society from the dangerously insane, but you will never be able to protect a society from a cold blooded remorseless killer. You might find a few Cho's in a lifetime that are intent on some form of flamboyant mass murder, then you have a few more of the covert Cho's who resort to serial killing, but worst of all you have a society churning out thousands of these kids who are hardened black hearted assassins by age 19.

We need to reign it in somehow, we need to establish boundaries to what is tolerable. We cannot continue to raise children in an evil environment without getting evil results.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:note the significance of the Seal of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
I don't believe the description is quite accurate. The figure on the ground doesn't look like "tyranny" to me, it looks like a king. And "sic semper tyrannis" means " thus always to kings" ("Tyrannus" was the first king of Rome and "tyrannus" means "absolute ruler" in Latin). All of which would tie in with it being designed the year after Independence.

It is very tempting to put a modern interpretation on old mottos. That of the US army special forces, "de oppresso liber", means "free from oppression" but is universally mistranslated (including in Wikipedia) as "to free from oppression".
Quote:I don't believe the description is quite accurate. The figure on the ground doesn't look like "tyranny" to me, it looks like a king. And "sic semper tyrannis" means " thus always to kings" ("Tyrannus" was the first king of Rome and "tyrannus" means "absolute ruler" in Latin). All of which would tie in with it being designed the year after Independence.

It is very tempting to put a modern interpretation on old mottos. That of the US army special forces, "de oppresso liber", means "free from oppression" but is universally mistranslated (including in Wikipedia) as "to free from oppression".
Thus ever to tyrants may be a slip from "thus ever to a/the tyrant."

If the meaning of king and tyrant is close, the meaning sustains in either transliteration from Latin to English. A king who is a tyrant needs overthrowing, one who is not hardly does, right? Benevolent despotism hardly incites the peasants to revolt. ;)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Benevolent despotism hardly incites the peasants to revolt. ;)

Occhi

Awww and here I was thinking that they revolted just for the fun of it.

Now everybody think back to that great scene from Quest for the Holy Grail with the poor peasant being "oppressed" by King Arthur:P

take care
Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:Awww and here I was thinking that they revolted just for the fun of it.

Now everybody think back to that great scene from Quest for the Holy Grail with the poor peasant being "oppressed" by King Arthur:P

take care
Tarabulus
At least he wasn't old. ;)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote: old ;)

Occhi

"I'm not dead. I'd like to go for a walk."

take care
Tarabulus

I'll remember you.
Quote:What would it mean to lock down the campus? I see CNN using the term, but I have no idea what it even means. The campus is apparently about 4 square miles, including an airport and 9000 residents. Is this lock down simply a matter of canceling classes, or is it something that would require the national guard setting up a tent city in Blacksburg?

In any case, you have two people shot dead in the room where they live. The police are looking at it as some kind of domestic quarrel or something. And then a couple hours later, they find out that maybe they were wrong. Maybe the university could have done something better in that time. I don't know. You could clear the whole place, and the killer goes down the street and kills 30 college kids eating Egg McMuffins or breakfast burritos.

Honestly, I don't know what could have been done. I will say I think my earlier statements were probably naive, based mostly on my lack of knowledge about the sheer size of the campus. Oh well. That's what I get for opening my mouth without being fully acquainted with the subject matter. Happens to us all sooner or later.

As to your last comment, so very true.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
this is just stupid

Sure, these things are probably automated. It searches the article for keywords and prompts any articles where those words are also mentioned.. but come on, there was noe one around to fix this?
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Apr 30 2007, 06:33 PM' post='128790']this is just stupid

Sure, these things are probably automated. It searches the article for keywords and prompts any articles where those words are also mentioned.. but come on, there was no one around to fix this?
It is not so non-sequiter. How much Anime and Manga is obsessed with sword or gun violence? There is a growing appetite in the eastern world for violent media. Whether or not that fascination extends into obsessions is the separation of the adjusted from the border line insane.

But, sorry, I don't find it distasteful to show links to Olympic shooting events by Koreans. Headlines are usually outrageous and misleading. Anyone who would seriously think the links are related (or trust any news article at face value for that matter) is seriously detached from the modern world.

In the supposedly information age, I find the lack of reliable objective source material appalling.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]