New Lock needs help with Talents
Hey all,

Could some of you locks out there give look at the 2 builds i'm looking at and give me their oppinions and advice.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...000000000000000

Note i only added the Suppression 2/5 near the end of the tree to make up 40pts to get Unstable Affliction.

Note: most of the time i hope to be partying with a mage or mage & hunter, though i'd like to be able to solo if needed.

Any and all comments welcome.

Mistique
Can not say much about the affliction build, as I havent tested affliction since the new talents myself, looks nice on paper tho. As for the Demo build, its pretty similar to what I use at the moment. I find it a pretty nice build, no cooldown and nice killing speed. I would recommend putting 1 point of mana feed and 1 point of demonic resilience in improved life tap first.

I would also remove the points in improved voidy and imp healthfunnel and add them to the demonic aegis and fel domination. You will be using felguard for soloing, as it is a pretty solid dps/tank pet and in my opinion more effective than voidy in most situations. demonic aegis in combination with life tap and drain life will ensure you maximize your life - mana - life conversion to a point that leaves you with full mana and life bars most of the time, unless you fight 3 mobs at once.

I would also put the 2 points in improved imp into master summoner, sometimes your pet may die and you will need a new one asap, having a long casting time will mean death to an otherwise possible recovery.

As you level up you can maximize mana feed and demonic resilience, I found it that on longer grinds 2/3 mana feed is still not enough to keep your demon working.

My usual tactic with this spec is dotting the mob with corruption and CoA, and either SB or incinerate later (immolation replaces or is added to the dots then) and life tap when you use up around 1,3k mana. drain your life back, mob may already be dead, so just pull it off on the next one. After 3-4 mobs it may be necessary to heal the pet, so I just dot the mob and use then healthfunnel in combination with a trinket, to max the healing ticks. should the mob still life when you finish the funnel, drain your lost life back.
Both builds would work well. In the Demo build, I'd move the points out of Improved Voidwalker into Demonic Aegis. DA adds both to your healing and damage, and you'll find the Felguard is a capable enough tank that the Voidwalker is not used much.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Can't do without Mana Feed, otherwise you'll end up resummoning your pet just to give him mana, and the pet's mana will be your biggest cause of downtime. I went full demonology with the 2.0 patch, and leveled from 59-60 with the Felguard. Talent at point at 60 went into Mana Feed for sure. 1 point is all you need to get by, 2 would be nice, but I think 3 points would be overkill. I'll agree with the other posts here that Demonic Aegis is a better use for your points than improved voidwalker. Demonology is an excellent solo grind build. I don't know much about Affliction.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
I've played both affliction and demon at L60. Though I did more PvP than anything. I leveled to L59 as demon and did 59 to 60 as affliction just to see some of the differences.

With affliction your pet isn't that big a deal it can distract one mob while you are draining another or add some damage but it generally won't be tanking for you. For that reason I didn't put any points in demon. I put them destruction to get bane and at 61 I'll get shadowburn back. I did a fair bit of PvP with the 7 / 21 / 21 + 2 build so I learned to like shadowburn. Imp drain soul is a very nice soloing talent, but it's not very good in groups. And it's been bugged at times so that the damage had to come from drain soul to get the mana back. I do not know the current state because I had it at times where it was simply me or my pet that had to the damage. When it worked I'd end pretty much every fight with DS and just toss the shard if I didn't need it.

I can't do demonology without Fel Domination and Master summoner though. Being able to get a pet back in a .5 second cast if need be is huge. Improved voidwalker I think is very skippable as mentioned the felguard will be the pet of choice, unless you want the special ability of the other pets. You generally won't need the voidy shield and without fel dom + master summoner you don't really have the option of rapid voidy summon + sac to get the shield. Imp health funnel isn't as big of a deal either. It just means you might need to drain life a bit more than you had in the past. 2/3 mana feed worked out pretty well for most of the grinding I did (mostly in sillyfuss). Since it didn't take to long to resummon a pet, I would just sac em and (since it was usually the felguard getting a bit of mana back from the sac while I resummoned) resummon. No big deal, not to hard to get a soul shard to get a new pet. I'm a huge fan of imp life tap though (and not that imp life tap makes mana feed work better) but you can live without it. Demonic Aegis seems like a very good talent to get though. I genearally ended up with a few points in imp sucubus because I liked the longer seduce times, but again not needed.

I've only been full on destruction on the PTR and it just never felt right to me. But really I think you'll do fine with either build, I would just tweak the demon build as mentioned by several in this thread and I would consider not putting points in demon for the affliction, though that might depend on what you want to do going to L70. They are both very instance viable too. Me + pet was really about the same in 5 mans and UBRS as affliction or as demon. I did well in PvP with both of them too.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
As I have told you in person, my opinion is that you should go affliction. A destruction warlock is much like a mage which you already have one of. A demonology warlock is much like a hunter which you also already have one of. Basically I feel that an affliction warlock will be the more unique experience for you.

The build I've come up with is http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...512200000000000. The main differences from yours is that I took destruction as the secondary tree (you will still probably be throwing bolts sometimes so improving them is good) and I took Empowered Corruption since the whole point of the build is to make your dots hurt. Otherwise our choices were the same.
Quote:The build I've come up with is http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classe...512200000000000. The main differences from yours is that I took destruction as the secondary tree (you will still probably be throwing bolts sometimes so improving them is good) and I took Empowered Corruption since the whole point of the build is to make your dots hurt. Otherwise our choices were the same.

FYI, minus the extra 11 points in destruction, this is Kati's build. :) And those 11 points are pretty much going where you put them if I ever take her to 70. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:Hey all,

Could some of you locks out there give look at the 2 builds i'm looking at and give me their oppinions and advice.

Note i only added the Suppression 2/5 near the end of the tree to make up 40pts to get Unstable Affliction.

Note: most of the time i hope to be partying with a mage or mage & hunter, though i'd like to be able to solo if needed.

Any and all comments welcome.

Mistique

Do you want to PvP at all? I can see a number of things I would change around in the Affliction build and also in the Demonology build, but it depends on if you plan to PvP or not with this build while leveling or if you plan to respec.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.