basic sorceress build
Hi guys,

I haven't played D2 in ages. I've started a sorceress in the non-expansion D2 single player mode (v.1.13). Can someone point me to a basic build for a sorceress which will allow me to complete all 3 difficulty levels? I just want the basics of how to allocated character points and skill points.

My theory for now is to get str to 20 (so I can eventually wear a demonhide sash and therefore eventually have 16 pots) and put the rest into energy on the assumption that I'll eventually get MS so vitality is unnecessary. In terms of spells, I've been trying to save up so that pretty much all the points will go into Firewall, Chain Lightening and Frozen orb (I need one of each in case of double immunes--is that right?). I've put a couple into warmth, I'll put one into teleport, MS and one into each of the masteries. I put one into fireball, though that might have been a mistake, since that isn't strictly necessary for what I'm planning, though it's useful to have at least one non-sucky spell. I'm level 17 now. Since it's 1.13 I can redistribute points 3x if I've done something stupid already. While I'm at it, I seem to vaguely recall that there is some sort of bug in MS. Is that true? What is it? Does that mean I need points into vitality or is that just once in a while I'll die unfairly. I'm not playing hardcore or anything like that, so not a biggy.

Finally, and remember that I don't plan on playing this enough to get great items, what am I looking to get in terms of items. I'm thinking some staff of faster cast, armor and helm with resists, and jewlery to get more resists and maybe some fast cast. Does that work? Should I try to use socketed items for something. I'd guess either drop the staff and use a shield with 3 diamonds or, if somehow possible, use skulls in helms or armor for faster mana and health regeneration. Do I need high AC?
Quote:I haven't played D2 in ages. I've started a sorceress in the non-expansion D2 single player mode (v.1.13). Can someone point me to a basic build for a sorceress which will allow me to complete all 3 difficulty levels? I just want the basics of how to allocated character points and skill points.

Unfortunately most guides are now on expansion D2. There's stil the AmazonBasin forum that has Classic D2 section iirc.

Quote:My theory for now is to get str to 20 (so I can eventually wear a demonhide sash and therefore eventually have 16 pots) and put the rest into energy on the assumption that I'll eventually get MS so vitality is unnecessary.

IMO, no. In D1 vitality is not super important. In D2 it's the reverse. And the way MS works in D2 compared to D1, I'd personally wouldn't rely on it too much. I don't recall if there was a bug in MS, but if you're referring to the way it works in D2, iirc it's working as intended.

Quote:In terms of spells, I've been trying to save up so that pretty much all the points will go into Firewall, Chain Lightening and Frozen orb (I need one of each in case of double immunes--is that right?). I've put a couple into warmth, I'll put one into teleport, MS and one into each of the masteries

I've had a classic D2 sorceress very similar to this once. And Firewall can be a chore to use sometimes. Monsters can be very fast, and you usually have to cast it in a certain way (perpendicular, then get them to follow the 'line' instead of just crossing it). FBall or even Blaze might be more efficient. Unless you reeeaaaaly enjoy using Fwall. (I found it tedious after a while.)

Frozen Orb is popular for a good reason. Even with just one point in Cold Mastery it's serviceable. CL will probably need some mastery boosting to increase it's damage.

Quote: and remember that I don't plan on playing this enough to get great items, what am I looking to get in terms of items. I'm thinking some staff of faster cast, armor and helm with resists, and jewlery to get more resists and maybe some fast cast. Does that work?

Yep. Don't overlook some cube recipes that still applies to D2 classic as well.

Quote:Should I try to use socketed items for something. I'd guess either drop the staff and use a shield with 3 diamonds

That can and has worked for a lot of players too.

Quote:if somehow possible, use skulls in helms or armor for faster mana and health regeneration

I've tried this many a times. And I'd personally say, don't bother. At least not with a sorceress in Classic. Drinking mana juice (that iirc is now sold in stores) is much quicker. Go for it if you really want to, or love the black look. But don't expect a mutant healing factor or super fast mana regen just by skulled clothing.

Quote:Do I need high AC?

IMO, no.
Quote:Unfortunately most guides are now on expansion D2. There's stil the AmazonBasin forum that has Classic D2 section iirc.
First off, thanks for replying. Like you say, most guides are for LoD, so they have some mercenary who solves all sorts of problems. I don't see a classic part on the Amazon Basin. Maybe I'm just missing something.
Quote:IMO, no. In D1 vitality is not super important. In D2 it's the reverse. And the way MS works in D2 compared to D1, I'd personally wouldn't rely on it too much. I don't recall if there was a bug in MS, but if you're referring to the way it works in D2, iirc it's working as intended.
Good to know.
Quote: I've had a classic D2 sorceress very similar to this once. And Firewall can be a chore to use sometimes. Monsters can be very fast, and you usually have to cast it in a certain way (perpendicular, then get them to follow the 'line' instead of just crossing it). FBall or even Blaze might be more efficient. Unless you reeeaaaaly enjoy using Fwall. (I found it tedious after a while.)

Frozen Orb is popular for a good reason. Even with just one point in Cold Mastery it's serviceable. CL will probably need some mastery boosting to increase it's damage.
So I'm having problems here. I just entered Hell difficulty, and as you say, Lvl 20 Frozen Orb + one point in mastery works fine for non-immunes (at least so far). But the cold immunes are killing me. I have something like lvl 17 Chain Lightening and a couple of points in Lightening Mastery, and one of those yeti like creatures takes forever to kill. Cold immune bosses, forget about it.
I will have to respec, and the only think I can do is take the 8 or so points I put into the fire tree out and put into lightening. Is that right? Am I missing something? If this is required, is there a calculator somewhere that will tell me when it's worth putting a point into Chain Lightening vs Lightening Mastery vs Lightening (because of the synergy)? I guess the same goes for Frozen Orb vs. Cold Mastery.
Quote: Yep. Don't overlook some cube recipes that still applies to D2 classic as well.
The only useful cube recipe I've found is the prismatic amulet. Anything else worth using?
Quote:I've tried this many a times. And I'd personally say, don't bother. At least not with a sorceress in Classic. Drinking mana juice (that iirc is now sold in stores) is much quicker. Go for it if you really want to, or love the black look. But don't expect a mutant healing factor or super fast mana regen just by skulled clothing.
Good to know. I probably don't have the option anyway, since I need all the help I can in getting resists.

Quote:First off, thanks for replying. Like you say, most guides are for LoD, so they have some mercenary who solves all sorts of problems. I don't see a classic part on the Amazon Basin. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Dang I must have misremembered it. You're right there is no dedicated 'D2 Classic' section. I probably confused it with something else. You could probably still get some valuable feedback, or at the very least modify somewhat the LoD strategies. (I understand there are some difficulties and limits to 'retrofitting' LoD to D2 Classic.)

http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/...opic=12833

Quote:So I'm having problems here. I just entered Hell difficulty, and as you say, Lvl 20 Frozen Orb + one point in mastery works fine for non-immunes (at least so far). But the cold immunes are killing me. I have something like lvl 17 Chain Lightening and a couple of points in Lightening Mastery, and one of those yeti like creatures takes forever to kill. Cold immune bosses, forget about it.
I will have to respec, and the only think I can do is take the 8 or so points I put into the fire tree out and put into lightening. Is that right? Am I missing something? If this is required, is there a calculator somewhere that will tell me when it's worth putting a point into Chain Lightening vs Lightening Mastery vs Lightening (because of the synergy)? I guess the same goes for Frozen Orb vs. Cold Mastery.

Unfortunately I'm not the go to guy for calculators. Hopefully the one that's in that amazonbasin link is updated and correct.

In general though, it does come down to deciding which spectrum of the elements you're investing in. Since there's only so many points to go around.

Going by my hazy memory of my last Classic Sorc. I think mine was 20 in F-Orb, 1 pt in C-Mastery. 20 in Hydra, 1 in F-Mastery. 20 in C-Lightning, the rest went into pumping Lightning-Mastery. Not counting pre-reqs and one point wonders like Static,Teleport etc.
Hail!

The only site I know of which has a dedicated classic forum is diablo.incgamers. While the overall poster quality is not the highest, there's some good information if you dig in there:

http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forum...15-Classic

I may consider trying classic multiplayer if you'd be interested (before D3 comes out). Just let me know.
Thanks for the site. The site has a section on CL sorceress, which basically says what I learned the hard way. I put more than 50 points into the lightening trees and it still sucked. As to playing, I'm busy for the next while, so D3 will likely be out before I have real gaming time.