freedom of press in europe
Quote:So, just as I would not expect the average informed citizen of Europe to be familiar with the issues of the State of Washington, of King County, of the city of Kent, you should not fault an American for his ignorance of the internal politics of any country. Your interest in our national politics is justified in that what we do as the remaining superpower influences the whole world. The reverse is not true.
With the creation of the EU, is it really true that the US is the world´s only superpower? The EU´s economy is larger than the US´s, although at a much lower level per capita. They certainly have the nuclear arsenal and military force to be a major player, if not quite to the extraordinary level of the US. Their currency is widely used internationally, and may come to rival the US dollar as the world currency. European culture exports may not have the sheer scope of the US, but they still carries quite a lot of influence.

People talk a lot about China as the up and coming superpower, but I think the EU will be deserving of that title much sooner, especially if there´s a trend towards increasing control by the European Parliament, acting as a unified diplomatic entity.

So, maybe we´d all better study up. I should know more than I do, considering I´m now a resident. But it´s a very large shift, trying to get a handle on the politics of such a huge and diverse area. Plus, being a US politics junkie as well, I only have so many hours in a day to waste. :P

-Jester
Quote:So, maybe we´d all better study up. I should know more than I do, considering I´m now a resident. But it´s a very large shift, trying to get a handle on the politics of such a huge and diverse area. Plus, being a US politics junkie as well, I only have so many hours in a day to waste. :P
The EU won't be a superpower until you can actually agree on stuff. Right now, you are much like a mini version of the UN without most of the 3rd world riff raff. So, for example, military support for Afghanistan... Not much of a unified voice there.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:The EU won't be a superpower until you can actually agree on stuff. Right now, you are much like a mini version of the UN without most of the 3rd world riff raff. So, for example, military support for Afghanistan... Not much of a unified voice there.
The lack of a unified voice is definitely an impediment to superpower status. (Whether the EU *should* become a superpower is another question - I would say no.)

-Jester

Afterthought: "Riff raff"?
Hi,

Quote:With the creation of the EU, is it really true that the US is the world´s only superpower?
Yes. The fundamental law of mushing -- all the dogs need to pull in the same direction.

Quote:Their currency is widely used internationally, and may come to rival the US dollar as the world currency.
Operative word there is "may".

Quote:People talk a lot about China as the up and coming superpower, but I think the EU will be deserving of that title much sooner, especially if there´s a trend towards increasing control by the European Parliament, acting as a unified diplomatic entity.
Time will tell. I did not say that the USA *had been* the only super power nor that it *would be* the only super power. I only said it is. And that I maintain.

Quote:So, maybe we´d all better study up. I should know more than I do, considering I´m now a resident. But it´s a very large shift, trying to get a handle on the politics of such a huge and diverse area. Plus, being a US politics junkie as well, I only have so many hours in a day to waste. :P
Precisely my point, except that in my case those politics effect me very directly.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Afterthought: "Riff raff"?
That is my perspective on the EU perspective based on how they've treated Greece, Turkey and others in their attempts to join the EU.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:That is my perspective on the EU perspective based on how they've treated Greece, Turkey and others in their attempts to join the EU.
Well, that certainly could have been clearer. How was I supposed to discern that?

-Jester
Quote:Well, that certainly could have been clearer. How was I supposed to discern that?
Sorry. It was clear to me when I wrote it, but then again, dialogue is the process of resolving these misunderstandings.

Quote:That is my perspective on the EU perspective based on how they've treated Greece, Turkey and others in their attempts to join the EU.
Greece is a long time member of the EU.

And please explain what your ideas are on how Turkey was treated. I don't even made up my mind yet about this issue, but I would like to hear what you think of the situation.

Basically, I welcome new members, but I also am very aware that support among the people of other member states is low (often for the wrong reasons in my opinionbut nonetheless), and some rules might be made a bit stricter for new members. (also for old members but that is still very difficult seeing that the EU doesn't have that much power).
Examples are countries like Bulgaria with incredible corruption, and no real progress on that front.
I think it is good for such a country to join, because it will help them to increase their prosperity, but if the EU doesn't enforce any rules, and when the country is just a black hole where money is send to, and nobody knows where it goes, we are doing things wrong.
Quote:Greece is a long time member of the EU.
Yes indeed.
Quote: And please explain what your ideas are on how Turkey was treated.
Try: is being treated.

As you are aware, Turkey has been working at EU entrance for some time, and keep running into one objection or another.
Quote: Examples are countries like Bulgaria with incredible corruption, and no real progress on that front.
I think it is good for such a country to join, because it will help them to increase their prosperity, but if the EU doesn't enforce any rules, and when the country is just a black hole where money is send to, and nobody knows where it goes, we are doing things wrong.
IMO, Turkey has no business being in the EU. I say this with deep affection for Turks whom I worked for and with in NATO.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Afterthought: "Riff raff"?
Dammit! Janet!

You can't expect an empowered Frankenfurter to be on the same side as Riffraff!

-V

"It's just a jump to the left, and then a step to the right."

ps. plz excuse my cultural(?) references; it was the pelvic thrusts, they drove me insane-ane-ane-ane-ane...

Quote:Yes indeed.

Try: is being treated.

As you are aware, Turkey has been working at EU entrance for some time, and keep running into one objection or another.

Occhi

Yes of course I am aware, and that is why I asked Kandrathe what his ideas are about this. (good or bad for example)