Strange Brew, Non Sequitur
Quote:Not exactly. He was saying "I think that to comment further would put me to bat on a sticky wicket." Of course, not being British, and that American's haven't a clue about cricket he used the American colloquialism. I see a difference between "I don't want to comment" and "I don't want to comment because I'll get into hot water." In essence, he is trying to communicate that he's gone as close to the edge as he is comfortable standing on the topic. I think that is far different than "I don't want to answer your question".

The statements may imply different reasoning, but the end result is still the same. He doesn't want to comment.

Here's my point. (And, again, i'm not arguing that his statement isn't valid) There are probably thousands upon thousands of ways to express what he wanted to say that don't use terms with racist connotations. You yourself just stated three of them. It's his job to artfully maneuver between them. As far as i'm concerened, the fact that he didn't choose one of the inumerable and, in many cases, much simpler ways of expressing his response was a very amusing failure at his primary responsibility. but a failure nonetheless.
Quote:The statements may imply different reasoning, but the end result is still the same. He doesn't want to comment.

Here's my point. (And, again, i'm not arguing that his statement isn't valid) There are probably thousands upon thousands of ways to express what he wanted to say that don't use terms with racist connotations. You yourself just stated three of them. It's his job to artfully maneuver between them. As far as i'm concerened, the fact that he didn't choose one of the inumerable and, in many cases, much simpler ways of expressing his response was a very amusing failure at his primary responsibility. but a failure nonetheless.
1. Good of you to think you know the press sec's job better than he does, but then, I too am a bit of an art critic in that regard. I must agree that criticism isn't out of place, but I disagree with your call for needless censorship. The "niggardly" remark a few years back was even funnier: it revealed how undereducated the audience was, and what an overblown wordsmith (used a fancy word when a simpler one would do) the speaker was. Two jokes, at others' expense, for the price of one. That's a win win, no matter how I slice it.
2. Snow's metaphor exactly captured the idea he was trying to convey.
3. Consider another part of Snow's job: the art of the smokescreen. If people pay attention to one of his gaffes, then less air time is devoted to the gaffes of his boss, and attention is drawn to him, a front man, and less light is shone on . . . anything that actually matters. Issues of substance. Granted, I don't think he intended to draw attention to himself -- I think he was trying to be oh so clever in his concise metaphors, like many wordsmiths are -- but the "sh**screen" function his job holds was faithfully exercised.

4. On further review, I was more caustic than necessary with that "long walk / short pier" post to you. I apologize to you for having activated the slvl 30 "Venom" skill when slvl 1 "Psychic Hammer" was what the situation called for. ;)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:... but a failure nonetheless.
Hold onto that if you like. If idiots and the illiterate are confused with a proper use of language, I don't view it as his failure. In fact, the contrarian in me would say that it might be in fact enlightened to work into your PR work a facile knowledge and correct understanding of African American folk literature. Part of our cultural assimilation is that we Americans share a mutual respect for the genius of our forebearers, whatever the color of their skins. I hope there are some African Americans who are would be happy to know that all kids get to also learn about great Americans like Dr. King, Thurgood Marshall, Harriet Tubman, Booker T, and GW Carver (etc, etc, etc).

In reality, we both know that the press and other rabid liberals are merely feigning ignorance to make it into a story. Now if only our Press Secretary could work in some positive Islamic sayings like "All actions are judged by the motive prompting them." then he would be truly gifted.

"...Here is the unmentionable secret. Racism is not that big of a deal anymore. No sensible person supports it. Nobody of importance preaches it. It's rapidly and thankfully becoming an ugly memory..." -- Tony Snow

Why is it unmentionable? Because using the racist label is too handy a whip to relinquish easily. Are there crack pots and other ignorant racists? Yes. Do we need to be aware and crush it when it rears its head? Yes.

Here is a personal anecdote. I was recently in a casual conversation with a black friend of mine. He told me "when it comes to computers I am a trouble maker", to which I replied, "Uh oh. I'm a trouble shooter". Then I had a pang of white guilt realizing all 250 years of his persecution, and I felt compelled to check to make sure he didn't take that the wrong way. He didn't. But it was awkward. I guess firearms jokes in racially mixed company are a little risky. My ancestors were in Sweden until the late 1890's, and even if they had been here, I live in the area of the nation where men travelled down to Virginia, suffered, fought and died to among other reasons abolish slavery. I've never persecuted anyone (ok, well my younger sister maybe, and she forgave me years ago). I've done pretty well in my life to treat everyone equally by "the golden rule", and when given the opportunity I endeavor to hire and promote talented women and minorities. Yet, here I am, also walking on egg shells. Maybe it will take another 200 years and we can start to let it go.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]