World Cup Discussion Thread
I was not able to watch the overtime play, but according to the first 90 minutes, I was not terribly impressed by either of the 2 teams. It did look toward the end of regulation time that Germany had more legs left, but I guess it changed in OT, somehow. So, surprisingly Germany is out. I definately did not see that coming. If France plays for the rest of the tournament like they did against Brazil, they will win. Of course they seem to play their best football against Brazil, and no one else.

-A
Quote:I was not able to watch the overtime play, but according to the first 90 minutes, I was not terribly impressed by either of the 2 teams. It did look toward the end of regulation time that Germany had more legs left, but I guess it changed in OT, somehow. So, surprisingly Germany is out. I definately did not see that coming. If France playes for the rest of the turnament like they did against Brazil, they will win. Of course they seem to play their best football against Brazil, and no one else.
-A
I don't see Portugal giving France much trouble, unless a few Frenchmen get injured or the referees get back into the game.

My favorite feature of the Germany Italy match was that the refs 'let them play' and that there were few penalties, and not as much diving as might have been . . . or at least the diving wasn't rewarded. ;)

Still bummed, as the Germans had a lot of chances that didn't pay off. Their transition game was the best I have seen of their Cup performances so far, for all the good it did them. You still have to put that pumpkin in the net.

Can't see me rooting for Italy, nor France, however, after the brilliant game against Brazil, I must say I'd rather root for France . . . mark this day on your calendar. :blink:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:I don't see Portugal giving France much trouble, unless a few Frenchmen get injured or the referees get back into the game.

My favorite feature of the Germany Italy match was that the refs 'let them play' and that there were few penalties, and not as much diving as might have been . . . or at least the diving wasn't rewarded. ;)

Still bummed, as the Germans had a lot of chances that didn't pay off. Their transition game was the best I have seen of their Cup performances so far, for all the good it did them. You still have to put that pumpkin in the net.

Can't see me rooting for Italy, nor France, however, after the brilliant game against Brazil, I must say I'd rather root for France . . . mark this day on your calendar. :blink:

Occhi

Occhi, probably I didn't understand it, but are you not party Italian...or did you just live in Italy for a while?
I thought you would support Italy, that's why I'm asking.

I also did not dislike the match. Ballack is one of those players that always looks for trouble, he made a few fouls and schwalbes that were not recognized as such by the ref. For the rest it was nice to see a match once that was led in a decent way; good referee. This was such a match where I expected some red cards.

Italy surprized me in the way that they did not play their usual 'anti-football'. Germany also played more dutch this tournament (total football) I think thanks to Klinsmann which is a great person by the way....only he should have known that with nice football alone you never win.

Latest news from Italy. The demands in the bribery case in Italian football were: Juventus back to Serie C, Milan, Lazio en Fiorentina back to Serie B (and some fines and prison sentences for some people). The decission will be probably the week after the WC finals.
Quote:I must say I'd rather root for France . . . mark this day on your calendar. :blink:

Occhi

I know how you feel :wacko:

-A
Quote:Occhi, probably I didn't understand it, but are you not party Italian...or did you just live in Italy for a while?
I thought you would support Italy, that's why I'm asking.

Italy surprized me in the way that they did not play their usual 'anti-football'. Germany also played more dutch this tournament (total football) I think thanks to Klinsmann which is a great person by the way....only he should have known that with nice football alone you never win.
Latest news from Italy. The demands in the bribery case in Italian football were: Juventus back to Serie C, Milan, Lazio en Fiorentina back to Serie B (and some fines and prison sentences for some people). The decission will be probably the week after the WC finals.
Juventus to Serie C? :lol: How funny, but perhaps that would be just. Inter or AC to Serie B? While I was in Italy, Forza Napoli was demoted to Serie B, which was a sad day. Maybe they can stay in Serie A with Juventus and a few of the other powers being demoted? That would be good.

As to my fan preferences, I would be rooting for i Azzuri if it weren't for the cheap crap they pulled in the US match, and their overall tendency to act and dive. That match (the US side was not blameless at all, nor were the officials) put me off of rooting for Italy this cup. I must say, they played well vs Ukr and Ger.

As to the last, I lived in Italy for three years. I like Italy a great deal. I got to see the Italy/Russia Cup Aqualifying match (late 97/early 98) in the San Paolo stadium in Bella Napoli. I had a great time, what with all the explosions and stuff being thrown through the air. :w00t: (Italy 1-0, Gianfranco Zola did not score, which was a disapointment. He was one of my favorite Italian players.) Ravinelli played the thug all game long.)

Had the US-Italy match been cleaner, perhaps I'd cheer for Italy. Germany got my backing once USA had flailed its way out of the Cup. I grew up on soccer watching Gerd Muller and Franz Beckenbauer play, so my affections for German soccer tend start there in World Cup play. Ever since Sheerer left the UK side, I find it hard to vote for them, though Gascoine's departure pleased me.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Juventus to Serie C? :lol: How funny, but perhaps that would be just. Inter or AC to Serie B? While I was in Italy, Forza Napoli was demoted to Serie B, which was a sad day. Maybe they can stay in Serie A with Juventus and a few of the other powers being demoted? That would be good.

AC Milan is usually called Milan, while Internazionale di Milano is called Inter.
AS Napoli is now in Serie C1.....they had lots of troubles also with corruption. In the years that they won the Serie A wth Maradona the stories of corruption and drugs money were numerous. Later they couldn't get their finances in order and were declared bankrupt. From SSC Napoli and AS Napoli, now they are called Napoli soccer. They times they became champion must have been fantastic especially in the spanish quarters in Napoli.....complete and utter chaos.....if you can find a documentary about Maradona in his Napoli years buy it....this is great. The people from Napoli saw this as a liberation or victory from/on the north.

Quote:As to my fan preferences, I would be rooting for i Azzuri if it weren't for the cheap crap they pulled in the US match, and their overall tendency to act and dive. That match (the US side was not blameless at all, nor were the officials) put me off of rooting for Italy this cup. I must say, they played well vs Ukr and Ger.

As to the last, I lived in Italy for three years. I like Italy a great deal. I got to see the Italy/Russia Cup Aqualifying match (late 97/early 98) in the San Paolo stadium in Bella Napoli. I had a great time, what with all the explosions and stuff being thrown through the air. :w00t: (Italy 1-0, Gianfranco Zola did not score, which was a disapointment. He was one of my favorite Italian players.) Ravinelli played the thug all game long.)

Had the US-Italy match been cleaner, perhaps I'd cheer for Italy. Germany got my backing once USA had flailed its way out of the Cup. I grew up on soccer watching Gerd Muller and Franz Beckenbauer play, so my affections for German soccer tend start there in World Cup play. Ever since Sheerer left the UK side, I find it hard to vote for them, though Gascoine's departure pleased me.

Occhi

I understand what you mean. I always have problems supporting south european football teams I absolutely dslike their way of playing. Portugal this year was a great example. The fact is, football is so popular in a country like Italy......and so many people have strong feelings for their teams, that results are more important than nice games. As long as the football teams don't loose their fans and sponsors this will never change.
Quote:AC Milan is usually called Milan, while Internazionale di Milano is called Inter.
AS Napoli is now in Serie C1
How sad. :( They really have fallen. Then again, a lot of Northern Italians refer to Naples as "Northern Africa," so perhaps they have trouble recruiting. :P

Quote:I understand what you mean. I always have problems supporting south european football teams I absolutely dslike their way of playing.

Even though there is some brilliant play, I agree with your disappointment on the sportsmanship.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
WOUHOUHOU

what a match! probably not very beautifull to watch if you team was not implicated, but for me... what a stress.

Portugal dominated especially in the first half time. In the second one they were not very dangerous but sill, they were in control.

Impressive Thuram, the man of the match for me.

Nevertheless Ronaldo should learn to stop diving; he is good but what a cheater.
Italy wins.

Zidane is sent off.

For this.

Slick:lol:
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Italy wins.

Zidane is sent off.

For this.

Yeah, I don't know what he was thinking. I still love him.
That's another way to enter in the legend.

Sad that it has to be decided by penalty though, but the Italians defended well.
This match was sure *not* to attract any new audiences from the US. What a POS boring game.

OTOH, Zidane reminds me of Mark Messier, but alas he is gone now. I don't really care that he head-butted that guy, he is a great player anyway. He has guts and should have been playing for another team.

Anyway, I used to be upset when World Cups were over, but not this time.

-A
Yay, better late than never..... *joins the soccer discussion*

Quote:One reason soccer has little traction in American sports fandom is the well advertised, by soccer players at the professional levels, sissy factor. This is the fraudulent over acting by players who fall down near anyone on the opposing team. I want to see acting, I will go to a film or a play. On the pitch, I want to see a soccer/football match.

I would say it is not that uncommon in, say, ice hockey, which I believe is at least somewhat popular in the USA. I agree that it is, in whatever sport, a lame behaviour though.

I believe it was eppie that said it has no consequences if you "fail" to produce any result which I don't nessecarilly agree on. In part if you tend to fall to often, to easilly it can work the other way, when you actually SHOULD have got a penalty, you get nothing. Still don't think it evens out though. And do it to obvious, YOU get the card directly instead.

I do believe that it looks like every single "accident" and bumping into each other on the filed in football seems to create enormous pain and requires you to lie on the ground with your hands arround your leg (or wereever you are supposed to be hurt). The good thing is that football players have this amazing physiology whiech makes you completely good again with no pain at all after a few seconds. In addition, there is this miraculous sideline painted in all white. If carried across it, you turn instant good even from worse pain.

Quote:As for soccer being the biggest sport in Europe, I remember reading that the attendance at Le Mans was greater than that at all the European soccer games combined. Then again, the 'stadium' is somewhat bigger. Just another indication that motor sports get no respect in the mainstream media.

How would they calculate such a thing? I must admit I don't know how many watch a "Le Mans" but there are many, many football teams in Europe that routinely fill stadiums of, say 80000 spectators (some more, some less) every week. (Q quick goolge said 300000 for Le Mans). On the other hand, Le Mans is a one time shot, not series.

That said, yeah, motor sport is very popular and attract a lot of audience. However, I think one has to divide up motorsport in a lot of different categories, just as one divide up "sports with balls" into such things as football, handboll, tennis, golf, snooker and so on. I would actually say that motor sport gets a quite big exposure on say television. At least here in Europe and for example in Sweden. I see it all the time and am amazed how much they show it feling it can't possibly reflect the popularity. No idea how the situation is in USA.

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Italy wins.

Zidane is sent off.

For this.

He was team captain. He let that jerk get under his skin with trash talk. Plenty of time after the match to kick his arse if the guy had been insulting his family. The leadership the Captain must display was forgotten. I can't believe he did that.

Bad form, Zidane, to let that guy take you out of the game by getting inside your head.

I enjoyed the match, except for the fact that the French seemed to sit on their heels a bit after going up 1-0. They should have gone right back to the attack. As I saw it, the Italians were far more vigorous in the battle to control midfield for the whole match. That struck me as the critical difference. Their two and three man traps, all game long, were very well executed. Ending it on PK's in the final is

BULL!

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:This match was sure *not* to attract any new audiences from the US. What a POS boring game.

But why care about that? Let those silly americans watch their American Football instead :P

It was a relatively booring game though, I tend to agree. However, I still think the teams played quite well. Personally I like the more offensive football and matches were both teams go full forward. It is much more fun. But I can understand why one would not like to play such a game.

Overall I think the whole World Cup had quite unimpressive games. ONe had expected much more fantastic games. It was a bit booring. I would say that in part it was due to so many teams setting up a rather defensive strategy. Look at how many teams in most matches had a set up with only a single forward (is that the correct english name? The guy up on the top). Wit 5 midfields and 4 in the defense. Much of the teams that finally went to the final rounds did so due to good defence, or rather, good prevention of the other team to establish their own game and then utulizing that to get their own play and offense going. France was a good example of this tactic.

There was also far less goals than one had hoped for (despite ever years new better ball). I think the average was less than for a long time. Sad.

With the above in mind of what type of football I like, I would say that out of the final 4 teams, I thought Portugal had the best potential. However, their lone (!) forward didn't play up to his standard end enither did for example Deco. One big surpirse to me was Germany. I had thought they would get far, they usually do and had homefield, but they turned out far better than I expected. Never really fancied for either Italy and France, hence the final was not that interesting to me, no team to really rally behind. I think the referee did a good over all job though (as oposed to the tournament as a whole!!). He set the level and although rough play, the players knew the limits.

Brasil? Dissapointmen? Perhaps. I think several of their players did not performe to the level they do in their normal club teams, Ronaldinho being such an example. Although good at times, he never lived up to the marvelous passes he routinely gives his team mates out of nowere. I als think they played to nonchalant in defence and didn't do well there. TThe checks was also a negative surprise to me.

All in all however, I think this year, the World Cup lacked any real big surpirses. Allready in the quarter finals and perhaps even in the round before that, it was mainly the "same old teams".

Now we have to go back to natial leagues and of course the qualifying games for the European Championship in 2 years..... :)

There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:But why care about that? Let those silly americans watch their American Football instead :P

This tournament was indeed no advertisement for football. Personally I'm getting more and more annoyed by it.

Well after a night of little sleep because a bunch of morons went around all night blowing their carhorns....
I can say that I'm happy this tournament is finished..it was bad, uninteresting and a general outrage.

The fact with soccer is that for most fans the result is the most important....even if your team plays lousy. (of course this sounds logical). In Italy soccer is extremely popular and so many people go to the stadiums every week or used payTV to see matches....and they play so negative.
The are able to get the best players of the world....only to make them do nothing else than defending. Point is, the fans are so much attached to their team (it is a way of life) that indeed the only thing that counts is the result.

A team like portugal has absoltely no problem with making a complete fool of them selfs by crying, faking injuries and trying to make the opponenet so angry that they make a foul and get send off. This has absolutely nothing to do with football but, because the result is so important it happens.

I think things really need to change in football. Say, lose the offside rule, use electronic tools to help the refs.
ike I said before this is a difficult subject in football, but this tournament showed that negativism is getting to important....and that needs to be stopped.
Check out this little vid about Italian soccer training methods. I'm sure this pretty much apples to many other soccer teams <_<

http://break.com/index/italian_football_tr...ng_program.html

Umm, never mind the other errr.... questionable content on the site B)

-A