Norman Borlaug, 1914-2009
Hi,

Quote:So killing all the lawyers isn't the better course of action? Rats.
As the old joke has it, it's a good start. :^)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote: A global effort to reduce the birth rate to a level that reduces the population by as little as 1% per year would most likely solve the problem before it becomes a catastrophe. At 1% per year reduction, it would take about 70 years to half the population.

--Pete

72, but close enough for government work... :lol:
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Hi,

Quote:72, but close enough for government work... :lol:
Hmmm.

dP/dt = -kP
so
P = P0 exp(-kt)
so
t = ln(P/P0) / -k

With P/P0 = 0.5 and k = 0.01/year, I get t = 69.315 years on my HP.

Did I do something wrong?

--Pete

Quote:Did I do something wrong?
1% is too small, and 70 years is too long to wait.

Let's remove the deductions for dependents from the tax code, and require parents to fund their own kid's education. If you are poor, then you can make arrangements to pay over time with a low interest (enough to cover the administrative costs).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:1% is too small, and 70 years is too long to wait.

Let's remove the deductions for dependents from the tax code, and require parents to fund their own kid's education. If you are poor, then you can make arrangements to pay over time with a low interest (enough to cover the administrative costs).
That won't stop the poor, nor the stupid, from breeding.

Sorry, non-solution.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:That won't stop the poor, nor the stupid, from breeding.
Indeed. But that's another, and more difficult, problem. Besides, if the human race breeds for stupidity, that gives the roaches a better chance.

--Pete

Quote:Hi,
Indeed. But that's another, and more difficult, problem. Besides, if the human race breeds for stupidity, that gives the roaches a better chance.

--Pete
Hmnm, maybe my investment strategy is all wet.

I'll call my broker, and get my hands on some roach futures.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:1% is too small, and 70 years is too long to wait.
I admit to using too simple a model (growth rate = crude birth rate - crude death rate + net immigration rate). However, it is a good enough model for first approximations. Now, if we are applying it to the world as a whole, 'net immigration rate' is zero. From that it follows that the highest possible negative rate is if the 'crude birth rate' is also zero. That would make the highest possible rate about 0.8%

Of course, the model is insufficient to handle the extremes of a zero birth rate for an extended period. The 'large number' approximation that the model is based on will fail, and the death rate will change as the remaining population ages. However, a decline in population of more than 1%, at this time, is not really possible without actually killing people.

And that is also the answer to '70 years is too long'. There are other options, including selective use of CBRN, but none that are acceptable to the sane mind.

--Pete

Hi,

Quote:I'll call my broker, and get my hands on some roach futures.
Good idea. Only one drawback. You can't cash in until we're all dead. :lol:

--Pete

Good idea. Only one drawback. You can't cash in until we're all dead. :lol:

--Pete
I can cash in on roach futures when pot smoking is legalized, however, which is part of where the roach futures was grounded as a rather obscure pun, in the background as I posted that.

:shuriken:
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Quote:I can cash in on roach futures when pot smoking is legalized, however, which is part of where the roach futures was grounded as a rather obscure pun, in the background as I posted that.

:shuriken:
Duh. My pun neuron must have been napping -- that one went right by me. :wacko:

--Pete

Duh. My pun neuron must have been napping -- that one went right by me. :wacko:

--Pete
To be fair, it was not my best jest ever. Losing one's sense of humor has that sorrowful side effect, I hear. The jokes tend to stink a bit more than formerly.

So it goes.

In Memory of Pete
Quote:To be fair, it was not my best jest ever. Losing one's sense of humor has that sorrowful side effect, I hear. The jokes tend to stink a bit more than formerly.

So it goes.
Hey bud, I'm hoping your unpunniness is not chronic, or we'll have to bong you with a blunt steamroller and go for a dance with Mary Jane. :)
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Hey bud, I'm hoping your unpunniness is not chronic, or we'll have to bong you with a blunt steamroller and go for a dance with Mary Jane. :)
I spleef my sides laughing at -- I forget, what was funny again? :D

*wanders off in search of Twinkies*
In Memory of Pete