A question about MSN messenger
After having been persuaded to install the MSN messanger to talk to a person, I have now got a few person on there. Although I can't say I am an expert on it, it seems to me that it lacks many features and functionalities that I used to have on ICQ when I used it many years ago. For example, it seems one can't send a message to someone that is not loged on for example.

Another problem I have is that it seems that the status shown (for example, shoing as not online even when I am) is a seting that is global, that is, I can't tailor it for specific people or groups of people. Or have I just missed it? What I would like to do is to not show I am online, except for those people that I specifically want to, is that possible? What happens if I send a message to someone when I am online but shown as offline? Will that change anything?

Thanks for any help.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
I switched to Trillian about a year ago, and they keep it pretty up to date with any features any of the messenger services come out with.

Trillian currently supports Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, and IRC with one easy to use software.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

MSN works differently from ICQ in that it is strictly an Instant Messenger as opposed to a Messenger.

Messages on MSN never reach a central service as ICQ does, and hence there is no message buffering. (sending messages to people offline and having it get there) It simply won't allow you to do it.

The "appear offline" feature is relatively new, and it, IIRC, was impleted only a few months ago in the latest MSN messenger. MSN culture doesn't seem to have the same kind of culture as ICQ did.

I can't tell you much more than that since I'm a gaim user on Linux.

Personally, if there's someone I don't want talk to, I simply ignore their messages until such time that I feel otherwise. With only the bare notification features activated in gaim, I'm not annoyed at all even if they spam me for hours on end.
Hi Jarulf!

Having been a loyal Trillian user myself, I recently (for no apparent reason) changed to MSN Messenger. I too was disappointed to see that the features you mentioned were not present. (Not that they were in Trillian either)

However, there is light at the end of our dank and slightly occupied tunnel (mole people are everywhere. Just ask the real Peterman). There is a website (don't remember the name) that host numerous mods and patches that you can retrofit unto your default MSN Messenger. I haven't tried any of them myself, but if there's a feature MSN doesn't have, there's a nut out there somewhere who's built a mod for it.

Found the website: Mess with Messenger

I don't have the time right now to rummage through their website right now, but have a look and let me know if you find anything exciting!

Best o' luck!

Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw