Hunter's FD reduces experience gained?
I just noticed this while playing by lvl 40 hunter (Aritimi) over the weekend. I was fighting some +2 to +4 mobs so my pet wasn't holding aggro as well as usual and I tended to draw aggro near the end of a fight. If I used FD near the end to force the mob back on my pet, I ended up getting only a fraction of the experience for the kill that I normally would have. Something like 29xp instead of around 250xp. I had to doule-check my combat log to be sure I had seen the popup numbers correctly.

It seems like FD not only wipes aggro, but also wipes all record of you having done anything at all to that monster. Its almost like you joined the batter mid-way through and are only getting experience for a partial kill. This is a real pain when trying to grind out some exp and not being able to use FD now unless I absolutely have to.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this old behavior or something new?
chippydip,Nov 21 2005, 11:06 AM Wrote:Has anyone else seen this? Is this old behavior or something new?
[right][snapback]95412[/snapback][/right]
You are right. FD screws up experience and has for a long time.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,Nov 21 2005, 10:47 AM Wrote:You are right.  FD screws up experience and has for a long time.
[right][snapback]95416[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure it is a bug though, but rather working as intended. FD completely removes you from combat and as such you lose any experience that you would have gained from whatever damage you did to the MOB up to that point. It may be annoying, but I think that it is working as it is supposed to and I must say that I don't really mind it on my hunter. I feel that complete aggro loss like that should have a penalty. I would expect that vanish works much the same way except that rogues don't have a pet to keep the mob in combat and so things run away and regen instead of staying. So yeah, working as intended in my book.
swirly,Nov 21 2005, 05:27 PM Wrote:I'm not sure it is a bug though, but rather working as intended.  FD completely removes you from combat and as such you lose any experience that you would have gained from whatever damage you did to the MOB up to that point.  It may be annoying, but I think that it is working as it is supposed to and I must say that I don't really mind it on my hunter.  I feel that complete aggro loss like that should have a penalty.  I would expect that vanish works much the same way except that rogues don't have a pet to keep the mob in combat and so things run away and regen instead of staying.  So yeah, working as intended in my book.
[right][snapback]95417[/snapback][/right]

I can certainly live with this... FD absolutely rocks and having some drawbacks like this is quite reasonable. It just means I should try and use it as little as possible while leveling.
Yes, I have noticed that too, some time back. As a result, I don't use FD in my solo work unless my pet has died, and it's the only way to prevent me dying too. If I draw aggro to me, before my pet has died, I use disengage to get it back to the pet. Sometimes the disengage is resisted, but not any more often than my FD is resisted, so it's pretty effective, and preserves my exp. Or, if it's not on a cooldown, I use Intimidation (Beast Mastery Tree) to get back the aggro. However, when it's crunch time...less exp is better than a corpse run, at least to me. :D
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
VoiceMan,Nov 21 2005, 06:13 PM Wrote:Yes, I have noticed that too, some time back.&nbsp; As a result, I don't use FD in my solo work unless my pet has died, and it's the only way to prevent me dying too.&nbsp; If I draw aggro to me, before my pet has died, I use disengage to get it back to the pet.&nbsp; Sometimes the disengage is resisted, but not any more often than my FD is resisted, so it's pretty effective, and preserves my exp.&nbsp; Or, if it's not on a cooldown, I use Intimidation (Beast Mastery Tree) to get back the aggro.&nbsp; However, when it's crunch time...less exp is better than a corpse run, at least to me.&nbsp; :D
[right][snapback]95422[/snapback][/right]

Yeah, I've switched to Disengage and/or Wing Clip to move back to range. I've also started using Intimidation and Bestial Wrath premtively to make sure the pet hold aggro (with such short timers, I really need to use these on every other fight!) Now that he's leveled back up to 40 and has learned the next rank of Growl, its less of an issue anyway.

The nice thing about FD, though, is you can use it at range... as soon as the mob turns my pet and starts heading for me I can FD and immediately fire again with virtually no break in my shooting. I wonder if it would be effective to tell the pet to stay when he loses aggo and then let the mob run back towards him after Disengaging? If they resist, Wing Clip and run back toward the pet to peel the mob off?

[/quote]

I wonder if it would be effective to tell the pet to stay when he loses aggo and then let the mob run back towards him after Disengaging? If they resist, Wing Clip and run back toward the pet to peel the mob off?

That's an interesting idea....I've personally never tried it. I wonder if you could just hit the "stay" button once the pet has gotten to the mob at the first of the fight, and do it that way? I might need to do a few tests tonight. :D Now I'm curious.
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>