Magic Find
My friend says that magic find stacks when your in a party so that all player magic find items are added up. I was going on the assumption that the MF items had to be worn at the time of death to be held in consideration and that the player making the kill is determined on his magic find rating.

Does the player need to make the kill to get the magic find or can he hang back sometimes?

thanks
Your magic find works when you, or your merc kills an enemy.
When your mercenary kills an enemy he gets your MF + his own MF

I am pretty sure that your own MF doesn't affect your party member's MF, of course this is not confirmed :P ...

You have to wear equipment if you want it's MF probalities
(for example gull, which has 100% better chance to find a magic item, u have to wear it to get the MF)

It would be quite nice if all 8 party members had 300 mf, then it would make 2400% better chance to find a magic item
Hmm... makes me wonder, i don't think that it works like that
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill
Chaostheory,Nov 15 2005, 11:19 AM Wrote:Your magic find works when you, or your merc kills an enemy.
When your mercenary kills an enemy he gets your MF + his own MF
I am pretty sure that your own MF doesn't affect your party member's MF
[right][snapback]94895[/snapback][/right]

AFAIK, that summarizes it accurately. The player (or merc of that player) who gets the killing blow is the one whose MF is counted.

And the gear equipped when the killing blow is landed is what counts. If you have a higher MF weapon or shield on weapon swap, but do not have it up at the time of the killing blow, it is not counted.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

TheKingofKewl,Nov 15 2005, 08:59 AM Wrote:My friend says that magic find stacks when your in a party so that all player magic find items are added up. I was going on the assumption that the MF items had to be worn at the time of death to be held in consideration and that the player making the kill is determined on his magic find rating.

Does the player need to make the kill to get the magic find or can he hang back sometimes?
thanks
[right][snapback]94891[/snapback][/right]

Well, I'd understand why he'd think that. If everyone were to believe that and stuff as many mf+ items on, then it would indeed skew the quality of the drops.

Of course, more magic find is really only noticible over the very long run, which allows you to hear the boring complaints of people complaining that they have 2340 mf and still never get anything.

IMO, it's nice if you can get the person with the highest MF to land the killing blows but don't stress out if it doesn't happen-- don't let that slow you down. It's not that big of a deal. In most cases, I prefer quantity over quality, except of course when you deal with those few unique guys that can drop the very best.

Of course, I haven't played this game in a year and a half plus my original cd is missing >.< but I think I should know what I'm talking about. ;p
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)
Magic Find percentage of partied players is never added together.

Your character's Magic Find percentage is used when an item drops from a monster on which you landed the killing blow, or from a chest or other item-spawning object, or from a successful use of the Find Item skill.

When any minion of yours -- including but not limited to your mercenary -- kills a monster, that minion's MF percentage is added to your character's. Many things are minions: of course the summonables like skeletons and wolves, but also assassin traps and Hydra. (Basically, if the +mana-per-kill affix doesn't work with it, it's a minion.) Most minions other than mercenaries won't ever have any magic-find percentage of their own, but a few can: Valkyries and Shadows can spawn with items with magic-find affixes, and Iron Golem can be created from an item with MF%.