WoW data usage
I'm looking at a pay as you go wireless broadband service for the times where I must travel. Most of them seem to cap at 100mb to 250 mb a month. Does anyone have a feeling for how much bandwidth WoW uses per hour - not raiding or pvping - just solo questing or maybe 5 manning.
Quote:I'm looking at a pay as you go wireless broadband service for the times where I must travel. Most of them seem to cap at 100mb to 250 mb a month. Does anyone have a feeling for how much bandwidth WoW uses per hour - not raiding or pvping - just solo questing or maybe 5 manning.

I haven't metered it, but since you can play it on a 33.6 kbps dial-up modem it can't be any more than...

33.6 kilo BITS/s * 1 Byte / 8 bits = 4.2 KB/s * 60s/min = 252 KB/min * 60 min/hr = 15120 KB/hr * 1MB/1024KB = 14.76 MB / hour.

That would be the max. Which would be nearly 7 hours if you have the 100mb cap. Again I don't think it uses even that much.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:I'm looking at a pay as you go wireless broadband service for the times where I must travel. Most of them seem to cap at 100mb to 250 mb a month. Does anyone have a feeling for how much bandwidth WoW uses per hour - not raiding or pvping - just solo questing or maybe 5 manning.

I have a wireless modem through Verizon for my laptop. On a day where I used it for upwards of 8 hours between raiding, questing, and the like, it used around 40 M. So on an hourly basis, that would put it around 5 M. So with 250 M, you should be able to get about 40 to 50 hours (about 15 to 20 with a 100 M cap).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Very helpful information guys. Thanks!