A wonderful Warrior Aggro thread on Blizz forums
chippydip,Jul 21 2005, 12:38 PM Wrote:I checked allakhazam and found this interesting tidbit, though.
[right][snapback]84008[/snapback][/right]

This begs an interesting question that suggests a slightly holistic verifcation method

One of the major complaints of the rogue class is the fact that some battle and fury spec warriors outdamage them in PvE encounters.

Now consider this: Barring AoE spells and abilities The amount of damage you can do to a single target in a raid depends on how much threat the main tank can generate, and not on your pure damage output, which is inevitably higher than this. So in other words, Your damage output is limited by how much you are willing to push the aggro envelope without pulling it yourself.

In other words, the only advantage a rogue has over a warrior is the "feint" ability. Damage done in a well excecuted raid is limited by the threat the main tank can generate, and is completely independent (on the high end) of equipment or anything other than that passive threat modifier, which is the same for rogues and battle/fury warriors, and how well you can manage aggro.

Just something to think about

Olon97,Jul 14 2005, 01:23 PM Wrote:[edit: updated for patch 1.7]

Nothing changed. At least, not in the cliffnotes.
Roland *The Gunslinger*
Roland,Sep 13 2005, 01:54 PM Wrote:Nothing changed. At least, not in the cliffnotes.

I edited the original post to be updated as well.

Old Shield Slam (total): 1220
New Shield Slam (total): 1950 (roughly a 60% boost - now better than revenge in rage rich environments)

The Bloodrage data point (335 total hate - if the mob is concentrated on the player) is new. Kind of encourages pull then bloodrage, rather than the other way around...

The others are consistent (although re-tested on patch 1.7 test) within a point or two.

The damage to hate ratio was 4.1 hate per damage in the original, 4.0 in the current.
Maybe a good place to start to determine just what scales etc. are being used would be to use numbers from Thottbot (or wherever) has that data mined the spells.

Spells like Feint, Cower, Disengage reduce "Threat" by a fixed amount permanently.

Spells like Fade do the same but for a limited time.

If you can base your numbers around the same scale the game uses for these spells you might very well have a better understanding of how it works.
Althor,Nov 10 2005, 08:40 PM Wrote:Spells like Fade do the same but for a limited time.
[right][snapback]94545[/snapback][/right]

I'm not sure what you meant by this. Can you clarify it a bit?
Fade reduces your aggro by a set amount for 10s (20s with talents). After fade is over you regain that aggro. If during the time you were in fade the tank, or someone else, built up enough aggro they will now be above you on the aggro list. But if no one built up enough aggro the mobs will come right back to you after fade.

So this means that if you use fade it doesn't mean you want to start mindblasting mobs ;).
[Image: 21740hrsxL.png]
savaughn,Nov 15 2005, 03:04 AM Wrote:I'm not sure what you meant by this.  Can you clarify it a bit?
[right][snapback]94750[/snapback][/right]

Here's the link for the top rank of Fade:
http://www.thottbot.com/?sp=10942

Note the part where it says:
"Apply Aura: Mod Total Threat (Fade)
Value: -820"

And for Feint:
http://www.thottbot.com/?sp=11303

"Threat
Value: -600"

These give you hard numbers to work with for these spells. You should be able to scale the Warrior's agro generation values to these.
Legedi,Nov 14 2005, 11:15 AM Wrote:Fade reduces your aggro by a set amount for 10s (20s with talents). After fade is over you regain that aggro. If during the time you were in fade the tank, or someone else, built up enough aggro they will now be above you on the aggro list. But if no one built up enough aggro the mobs will come right back to you after fade.

So this means that if you use fade it doesn't mean you want to start mindblasting mobs ;).
[right][snapback]94758[/snapback][/right]
That's what I thought you were getting at. I've got 3 priests. I've never had a mob once return to me after fading even if no one ever touches it.

I'm very comfortable saying fade aggro does not come back after the timer is up.
savaughn,Nov 22 2005, 04:23 AM Wrote:That's what I thought you were getting at.  I've got 3 priests.  I've never had a mob once return to me after fading even if no one ever touches it.

I'm very comfortable saying fade aggro does not come back after the timer is up.
[right][snapback]95487[/snapback][/right]

Leveling up, I saw the exact opposite. I had no warrior, so aggro was tricky. We had no real AoE either, making it even trickier. One priest would get healing aggro, everything would run to it. We'd peel off some, the priest would Fade, and all the ones not peeled ran to the other priest. Other priest Fades, they actually stay on that priest b/c the aggro difference is that much. First priest's Fade runs out after doing nothing, they run right back to him.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quark,Nov 22 2005, 10:38 AM Wrote:Leveling up, I saw the exact opposite.  I had no warrior, so aggro was tricky.  We had no real AoE either, making it even trickier.  One priest would get healing aggro, everything would run to it.  We'd peel off some, the priest would Fade, and all the ones not peeled ran to the other priest.  Other priest Fades, they actually stay on that priest b/c the aggro difference is that much.  First priest's Fade runs out after doing nothing, they run right back to him.
[right][snapback]95495[/snapback][/right]

As much as I hate to agree with Quark, I recall seeing the same thing while leveling up. I also recall one priest getting annoyed, but that's another story. :D
savaughn,Nov 22 2005, 03:23 AM Wrote:That's what I thought you were getting at.  I've got 3 priests.  I've never had a mob once return to me after fading even if no one ever touches it.

[right][snapback]95487[/snapback][/right]
Fade aggro most certainly does back after the timer is up. If no one touches that mob after I've faded, it heads straight back for me. If there are a mass of critters, and no one does any AoE aggro generator (damage, dem shout, totems, whatever), if I heal the person they are focused on (especially if I had to use a larger heal), they come straight to me. If I fade at that point and still no one has done anything to them, fade doesn't even turn the critters around sometimes. If at least a dem shout or a thunderclap or something has actually touched them, then fade will turn them around, but if no additional threat has been generated, they'll come right back for me. I saw this numerous times leveling up and I still see it at 60. Even holy nova, a supposedly no-threat skill, will pull any untouched mobs onto me if my holy nova is the first thing that touches them.
Intolerant monkey.