Does it bother anyone besides me?
Any1,Jun 20 2005, 03:12 PM Wrote:Actually, I had no idea Occhy was in the military.  

Ashock, Just because someone is in the armed forces, does't necessarily make them an authority with respect to the "Art of War". 
[right][snapback]81113[/snapback][/right]

....I neglected to mention (and he is too modest ;-) ) that he ain't a corporal. Also, I believe Occhi should be around his mid to upper 40's by now, just so we get that straight too... and he does not decide to test the new Apache weapon systems over Northridge.....

-A
Drasca,Jun 21 2005, 08:59 AM Wrote:Although at the time his Nationalist party rival Chiang Kai Shek wasn't terribly great either, I'll add a few practical bonuses to what was being kicked out through revolution.

Things like: Multiple wives, foot-binding, kicking out european opium stranglehold. Got rid of feudal class system. Establish better semblence of egalitarianism. Lots of oppressive old traditions needed to be thrown out. Also did establish a rather impressive railway system that wasn't in place before (do I play Railroad tycoon II too much?). So... social benefits abound.

There's no question his economic decisions ended up unsound. While few of the educated lurkers here would think it, I'd just like to stress Mao wasn't terrible on the Evil scale. He f'ed up the economy and millions starved! He freed the people, women and men from being slaves to economy, social order or drugs. Hmm... Can't say I'm not glad the old leadership is gone, but how much worse or lacking was that leadership previous to or rivalling Mao?

The cultural lens is much different when made in china  :whistling:
[right][snapback]81152[/snapback][/right]

Yes, the Kuomintang was almost a Tong gone public. (That is how The Soong Dynasty" describes it anyway. Excellent book.)

I had thought that the original revolution, led by Sun Yat Sen among others, made the first dent in the Opium problem. Did not realize Mao continued the theme. He did have 20+ years of civil war and war with Japan to fight in the meantime. :D And write his book. Busy man! :blink:

Trivia: When I lived in Taiwan, Chiang Kai Chek was still alive. The currency there had pictures of Sun Yat Sen on it. All of the bills, as I recall.

As to assessing Mao: his predecessor was Sun Yat Sen, and as I read it, the country was never really unified (as it looks on the map today) since Dr Sun's death was soon after followed by Civil War. The Kuomintang under Chiang did not, as I understand it, ever really have all of China under control. It took Mao's final victory and Chiangs exile to Taiwan to "unify" China. I may be off on a few details, however.

Rogue out
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Jun 14 2005, 09:34 AM Wrote:What could you do with 3-5 billion dollars per year in your state?
[right][snapback]80574[/snapback][/right]

Personally, I would use it to wage war in Iraq for another month. ;)
Thecla,Jun 22 2005, 01:17 AM Wrote:Personally, I would use it to wage war in Iraq for another month. ;)
[right][snapback]81256[/snapback][/right]

I don't think that money would last a month. At roughly seven to eight billion per month, you'd get about two weeks. :wacko:

Occhi

Estimate based on the alleged "$80 billion for the next year of ops in Iraq" that went up before Congress a little while back.
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Thecla,Jun 22 2005, 07:17 AM Wrote:
Occhi Wrote:What could you do with 3-5 billion dollars per year in your state?
Personally, I would use it to wage war in Iraq for another month. ;)
[right][snapback]81256[/snapback][/right]

I'd use it to provide food and shelter for the poor, which probably wouldn't cost more than $3K-5K per year assuming 1 million 'food insecure' people in your state. :angry:
Nothing is impossible if you believe in it enough.

Median 2008 mod for Diablo II
<span style="color:gray">New skills, new AIs, new items, new challenges...
06.dec.2006: Median 2008 1.44