Does anyone else here own a business?
I am now a licensed (or soon-to-be-licensed) business owner in the state of Virginia. Sole proprietorship. Jewelry design and retail, natch. Home-based, maybe (better) Internet-based.

Moron here forgot about USF acceptance and the fact that I count as a Virginia resident in all ways except for physically living in the state for the next two years.

I am at a loss. Mostly I just want some reassurance from the other government jockeys who I know frequent this board that I haven't screwed up some fundamental thing.

Consider this my flippant and/or irrelevant thread. Others have made them recently--why can't I?
UPDATE: Spamblaster.
Count Duckula,Jun 10 2005, 02:43 AM Wrote:I am now a licensed (or soon-to-be-licensed) business owner in the state of Virginia. Sole proprietorship. Jewelry design and retail, natch. Home-based, maybe (better) Internet-based.

Moron here forgot about USF acceptance and the fact that I count as a Virginia resident in all ways except for physically living in the state for the next two years.

I am at a loss. Mostly I just want some reassurance from the other government jockeys who I know frequent this board that I haven't screwed up some fundamental thing.

Consider this my flippant and/or irrelevant thread. Others have made them recently--why can't I?
[right][snapback]80124[/snapback][/right]

Not sure that I can help -- I am part owner and president of a business. Was your question why you can't make irrelevant threads?
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
Count Duckula,Jun 10 2005, 12:43 AM Wrote:I am now a licensed (or soon-to-be-licensed) business owner in the state of Virginia. Sole proprietorship. Jewelry design and retail, natch. Home-based, maybe (better) Internet-based.

[right][snapback]80124[/snapback][/right]

1. Were you living in VA when you applied?

2. There are any number of rules about running a business in one state and living in another, but I would not try to advise you since each state's rules vary.

3. Is your concern tax reporting to the proper state?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

May I suggest the following org web sites:

Quote:Consult the Pros
Get help with ongoing biz questions from an industry expert. Free & confidential advice online. Find an office and meet with SCORE in-person.

SCORE

Quote:WHAT SBA IS AND DOES...

Created in 1953, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is the only independent agency of the federal government with the sole purpose of assisting small businesses to start, grow, and prosper. Through our extensive network of SBA resources and partnerships with other public and private organizations, SBA is here to help you - the small business owner.

Small Business Administration

ps: I have a certificate for Business Managment from the SBA...took only 2 months of night classes.

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
I still don't understand the specific problem, Count, but by way of some serious advice, why don't you contact SCORE? It is free business advice from retired executives. Our company uses their services.
"I may be old, but I'm not dead."
I should really post again, shouldn't I. :mellow:

I haven't gotten all the paperwork back yet, but it seems that I'm more or less on track. My biggest concern was filing in one state while temporarily living in another. Thanks, everybody, for the advice. It's much appreciated.
UPDATE: Spamblaster.