Things I don't understand about cycling
I was reading an article in espn.com and I have 2 questions:

Quote:"Whenever you see a team lined up at the front like that, you have to pay attention," he (Armstrong) added. "You know what the wind's doing, and you see that a turn's coming up, so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that you have to go to the front."
What's that mean? What exactly is the wind doing, what's that have to do with a corner, and how does going to the front help?

Quote:His performance also fanned questions about who deserves the role of Astana team leader.
Also, what exactly does the role of team leader entail? Isn't everyone just riding? Does it mean that your teammates try to ride in front of you to cut of winds coming from the front? How important are the advantages of being team leader?

I recognize that there are more than 2 question marks:).
Quote:I was reading an article in espn.com and I have 2 questions:
What's that mean? What exactly is the wind doing, what's that have to do with a corner, and how does going to the front help?

I think here he is mainly pointing out the fact that 1: when one or two teams start preparing for a sprint finish they will speed up to maybe 60km/h so that nobody can escape (the gain from riding just behind somebody because of less wind resistance is tremendous so a group will have a big advantage over a single rider). This means that usually a long line of cyclist is formed (instead of a more ellips shaped group). When this happens the difference between the first rider and the 50th can be 100 meters. Now, especially when there is wind, (which makes cycling in a one person thick line more difficult) a break in this line of cyclists (which has much more chance of occuring when there is a curve or so) means that it is almost impossible for the rider(s) behind the break to catch up with the first group....even when they are very strong riders.
The more to the front you are, the less chance you have of sitting in the group after the break.

Quote:Also, what exactly does the role of team leader entail? Isn't everyone just riding? Does it mean that your teammates try to ride in front of you to cut of winds coming from the front? How important are the advantages of being team leader?

I recognize that there are more than 2 question marks:).

Yes it means they keep you out of the wind, or they bring you water, or they wait for you if you have a flat tire and need to be 'brought back to the pack'. In mass sprints the 'team leader' for the moment is usually the fastest sprinter. The helpers give all their power to ride in front of the group (the heaviest position) to make sure nobody can escape (a stronger rider could escape, but it would cost a lot of strength) and the sprinter stays behind them untill the last few 100 meters (making it possible to get up to speed of more than 80km/h).
The leader (for the final classification) is usually somebody that is good in climbing, because in the mountains the big differences in time are made.
This works because the helpers are not interested in their own classification, so they can give 100% without having to keep some power for the final battles. In the mountains, were wind friction is less of an issue, good helpers can be used to keep up the speed and so get rid of slower riders, or they can be used if somebody attacks and they need to 'get them back'. If the leader would have to do this, he would be exhausted after 3 attacks.

The case with the Astana team is that Contador is the 'official' leader but armstrong is doing better at the moment (and is also faster in the time trials). This means that maybe the leader position will be changed (leading to lots of 'issues' between the two riders:) )

Of course none of this works if you don't using doping....:)
Quote:...so that nobody can escape...
What's escape mean in this context?
Quote:In the mountains, were wind friction is less of an issue, good helpers can be used to keep up the speed and so get rid of slower riders, or they can be used if somebody attacks and they need to 'get them back'.
I don't understand this part. Can you explain a bit more? If there is little wind friction what are they doing for the leader? How are they getting rid of slower riders? What do you mean by attack and get back?

Thanks for explaining the bit about the curve - very helpful.
Quote:What's escape mean in this context?

Sprinting away from the pack to try and arrive solo at the finish line. This is usually done by riders who have a high base speed and can drive solo at 100% of their power for a few minutes but who don't have the sheer speed you need to win a mass sprint.

Quote: I don't understand this part. Can you explain a bit more? If there is little wind friction what are they doing for the leader? How are they getting rid of slower riders? What do you mean by attack and get back?

Thanks for explaining the bit about the curve - very helpful.

Support in the form of carrying water bottles but mainly catch back riders from other teams that are dangerous for the position of their team leader and keep up the speed so that only few people can follow. This leads to (when you watch a stage with some big climbs in the end) seeing only the best in front at such stages.
Having two competitors together (say both are team leaders) but one has a few helpers with him, for example the helpers can try to escape. If the competitor doesn't want this he needs to use a lot of stamina to catch back the guy, make him an easier pray for his competitor. If he doesn't care about the helper the helper might stay away and win a stage (which gives the team a nice bonus).
Of course in the mountains the strength of the individual is more important than on the flat stages.......mountain stages are for that reason also by far the nicest ones to watch on TV.
Quote:Sprinting away from the pack to try and arrive solo at the finish line. This is usually done by riders who have a high base speed and can drive solo at 100% of their power for a few minutes but who don't have the sheer speed you need to win a mass sprint.
Support in the form of carrying water bottles but mainly catch back riders from other teams that are dangerous for the position of their team leader and keep up the speed so that only few people can follow. This leads to (when you watch a stage with some big climbs in the end) seeing only the best in front at such stages.
Having two competitors together (say both are team leaders) but one has a few helpers with him, for example the helpers can try to escape. If the competitor doesn't want this he needs to use a lot of stamina to catch back the guy, make him an easier pray for his competitor. If he doesn't care about the helper the helper might stay away and win a stage (which gives the team a nice bonus).
Of course in the mountains the strength of the individual is more important than on the flat stages.......mountain stages are for that reason also by far the nicest ones to watch on TV.

And if I remember correctly his ability in the climbing stage was one of the large reasons Lance has had so much success in the Tour over the years. I don't think he's all that overwhelming in the sprints.
Currently a PoE junkie. Wheeeeee
Quote:And if I remember correctly his ability in the climbing stage was one of the large reasons Lance has had so much success in the Tour over the years. I don't think he's all that overwhelming in the sprints.

Yes and the time trials.