Mechanics/Stats on proc chances for weapon enchant
lemekim,Jun 18 2005, 05:55 PM Wrote:Thanks for testing this.

But to address the quote, does this mean that if you have a proc enchant on both weapons it will proc more often? Or does it simply mean that if you have no enchant in Main hand and, say, Crusader in offhand, you will still be able to proc Crusader at normal proc rate?
[right][snapback]81009[/snapback][/right]

Crusader will proc more often if duel wielding and both weapons have Crusader enchant.

Each weapon will have a percentage-to-proc-on-hit based upon weapon speed.

It is possible, although rare, to get 3 Crusader procs in a row (or 50 procs in a row. Kinda like a chimp banging a keyboard and typing out the complete works of Shakespeare)

Basicly, the procs per minute theory is a little flawed. The game uses a ppm mechanic to determine a percentage for a particular weapon. However, in-game it works as a percentage, and not as a set rate.
Carnifex,Jun 18 2005, 02:02 PM Wrote:Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.

Two other guild members and I tested the high-end enchants quite extensively.

I dont have the data in front of me but I will give the set-up and the results.
Basicly, we (me, lvl 60 rogue and 2 lvl 60 warriors) equipped an enchanted weapon in the main-hand and a useless-twig-of-no-off-hand-attack in the off-hand. Our target of choice was level 50 turtles in tanaris. We would only use default attack. Each enchant was tested on at least two differant weapon speeds for at least 1500 swings each. We were able, with the data compiled, to come up with a formula to determine the proc rate.

The formula: (weapon speed in seconds) / (X) = Proc percentage.
X is differant for each enchant.
Crusader X=40
Lifesteal X=10
Fiery X=10
Icy chill X=60

For example, an Assassination Blade (2.7 speed) with crusader would proc (2.7) / (40) = 6.75 %.

Follow-up, realistic, testing show the following:

Enchants only proc on hits, never on misses, dodges, or parries.
Enchants can proc on instant attacks.
They will proc on the off-hand weapons (there is a rumor out there that they don't).
Resists on lifesteal (shadow) and fiery (fire) only happen on a regular basis at the MC/Onyxia level.
Crusader procs do not stack, they reset the +100 strength timer to 15 seconds (Still get a full heal)
Icy Chill is, by far, the most useless enchant in the game (20% reduced attack speed for 5 seconds, which is about one less attack, and a hopelessly low proc rate).

Oh, and by the way, +5 damage enchant is BEFORE all modifiers (backstab, mortal stike, ect.). Keep in mind it is also subject to armor reduction as well.
[right][snapback]81003[/snapback][/right]
Another notable effect of the ppm system is that, like attack power, it probably influences slower weapons disproportionately well for people with instantly triggered abilities.

The AP bonus, which will apply added "damage per second," will obviously add more extra damage per swing on slower weapons since they hit less frequently. Where this is skewed is when using instant abilities, which receive the samel "per swing" bonus as autoattack does, even though they are not slowed down by weapon speed.

Presumably enchants work the same way. If the numbers listed here are correct, Lifesteal has a proc rate of 6 per minute. On an incredibly slow (3.8, say) weapon, that results in a 38% proc rate. On an incredibly fast (1.4, say) weapon, it'll proc only 14% of the time.

Presumably then things like SS, which can also trigger procs, will have a higher chance to proc when using slower weapons, but of course the rate at which you SS is not based on weapon delay at all. That means that, if you have instant melee-based abilities that can trigger procs, you'll see a better overall proc rate with slower weapons than you will with faster ones.

Admittedly this is just guesswork based on how AP behaves, but I have no reason to assume procs work any differently. Still, it would be interesting to see it tested.