Michael Jackson is dead.
Quote:Ok, superstar. And, a pop icon, and he used to be entertaining back in the day. I'm not sure of lately, because he seemed like kind of a freak show at the end.

I was one of the few American's who didn't buy Thriller, or actually any MJ album. :) I think I was listening to Bach: The Goldberg Variations. Actually, seriously, in 1982 I would have been more into Fleetwood Mac, Vangelis, Who, and The Clash. Anything not remotely like disco, or country western. I was also in college, discovering bands I had been clueless about like Jefferson Airplane, Talking Heads, B52's, Violent Femmes, and there was a very talented reggae band in Minneapolis named Ipso Facto, which had me into Jimmy Cliff and Bob Marley as well.

You discovered Jefferson Airplane only when you went to college???!! You should be arrested. :D

I think (but that is taste) that the bands you mention are musically more interesting than MJ, but MJ lead an era, not the best period in music, but het lead it.
Quote:Lucky you, as you missed the disco era.
Oh yeah. While I don't remember the era (I have trouble rememebring anything before the age of 12 or so), I've seen the phots of what my mother used to dress me in when Disco was still cool. :blush:
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Yeah, that was bad.

It was almost worse when the early eighties began with the Urban Cowboy fad and all the former disco ding dongs traded their spandex and silk outfits in for western wear. When I was in college, I was doing rodeo, and training horses at the time. It was hard to be the authentic one with all the posers around, so I found myself changing into my gear only when needed. I guess that is the nature of the culture absorbing a counter culture.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:You discovered Jefferson Airplane only when you went to college???!! You should be arrested. :D
I grew up in a very rural area, so I really only knew about what was played on the radio(top 40) at the time. When I was 16, my parents sent me and my sister on a trip to Washington DC for a week. I remember going to a record store in Georgetown, and being blown away by all the groups I had never heard of before. On the advice of my girlfriend at the time, I bought my first albums "Toys in the Attic" by Aerosmith, and "T.N.T." by AC/DC -- both to the horror of my parents when I brought them home.:) So, it was funny then at my next birthday my mom, trying to soften up my taste for hard rock, bought me "ABBA" by ABBA and I had such a crush on Agnetha Fältskog for the next two years. Most of my friends were into early punk, and the early outrageous stage show bands like Alice Cooper, David Bowie, and KISS.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi,

Quote:I suppose we can go around in vivid pedantry on that one, but I won't.
Thank you:) Basically, got curious and just looked them up on a few online dictionary and that seemed to be the consensus. I'd really gone in hoping to find support for the opposite (your) conclusion -- bah, compulsive honesty; it's a nun ingrained fault. :whistling:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Hi,

A Fifth of Beethoven wasn't bad. Give me a while, and I might think of another disco piece that I like.:)

OK, only being able to come up with one good piece for an entire era is sad -- but that's one more than I can think of for <strike>crap</strike> -- err -- rap.

My mother likes Italian folk music and opera, my dad was into the classics, we all loved musicals. I grew up as rock was forming and the stations of that area played a mix of country, rock (of various kinds), pop, blues, etc. My taste in music is eclectic, it's the only part of me that's still catholic;)

I only recognize two genre, 'good' and 'bad' -- and *I* get to decide. :w00t:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Actually, while I fully agree with the statement, it was a pretty well known music producer who called him that. He basically called him a huge talent, but a singer not a musician. Well, I agree with the last part fully, and only partially with the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1KOcBYG...re=related

great tribute flash mob in Stockholm.
Quote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1KOcBYG...re=related
wow! just, wow!

amazing when the handful becomes most of the crowd in an instant
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
That was cool!:)Incredible!
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1KOcBYG...re=related
Hmmm, I wonder if that was set up ahead of time via text messaging.

Does everyone that age have MJ MTV era dance spasms memorized?
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Hmmm, I wonder if that was set up ahead of time via text messaging.

Does everyone that age have MJ MTV era dance spasms memorized?

The little comment by the author if you do more info says it was staged.

Quote:These are two performances made at Segels Torg and the Central Station (a third installment is planned to happen at Stureplan at 23.00 tonight).

The dance collective Bounce came up with the idea and invited the public to a short choreographed session before hitting the streets.

so it looked spontaneous and was neat to watch but it was choreographed.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:The little comment by the author if you do more info says it was staged.
so it looked spontaneous and was neat to watch but it was choreographed.
Thank you GG.:)
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Hmmm, I wonder if that was set up ahead of time via text messaging.
Not exactly a flash mob, since they had to have come together to practice, but the amazing part was how well it was done. It also appeared that there were some that just joined in (or maybe hadn't done their practice :blush:). It was a fun event worthy of applause.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Not exactly a flash mob, since they had to have come together to practice, but the amazing part was how well it was done. It also appeared that there were some that just joined in (or maybe hadn't done their practice :blush:). It was a fun event worthy of applause.

@Occhi, yes a flash mob is planned. Usually on things like facebook.

@Lochnar, I don't think the practiced together. The moves are the ones from the original video and these people knew what they were going to do.
The 'organizers' did however arrange the music and a cameramen to tape the scene.
Quote:@Occhi, yes a flash mob is planned. Usually on things like facebook.

@Lochnar, I don't think the practiced together. The moves are the ones from the original video and these people knew what they were going to do.
The 'organizers' did however arrange the music and a cameramen to tape the scene.
Then I tip my cap to their communication and organizational skills.

Well done.
In Memory of Pete