Rogues in general
playingtokrush,Apr 18 2005, 08:27 PM Wrote:I know that, but I was referring to being flagged in your own capitol city.  I can't imagine most people would have to be worried about being jumped by a rogue in their own cities.
[right][snapback]74377[/snapback][/right]
It happens more often than you think. You are frequently flagged in your own faction's capitol because you arrived there from a contested area. Yes, it's just for the 5 minutes after you arrive, but you can be ambushed in that amount of time if the enemy is already in the city.
Intolerant monkey.
Treesh,Apr 18 2005, 09:44 PM Wrote:It happens more often than you think.  You are frequently flagged in your own faction's capitol because you arrived there from a contested area.  Yes, it's just for the 5 minutes after you arrive, but you can be ambushed in that amount of time if the enemy is already in the city.
[right][snapback]74381[/snapback][/right]
I see.

But with the changes (past and upcoming) to the guards in the capitol cities, I don't think rogues can look forward to causing much havoc in them anymore. I think that might be one thing to strike from the list of "fun things rogues can do at 60."
playingtokrush,Apr 19 2005, 04:14 AM Wrote:I see.

But with the changes (past and upcoming) to the guards in the capitol cities, I don't think rogues can look forward to causing much havoc in them anymore.  I think that might be one thing to strike from the list of "fun things rogues can do at 60."
[right][snapback]74386[/snapback][/right]

I pick my groups from my friends list and guild, so I guess I'm much more casual about including rogues or not, or mages or not. I'm (at this time) usually main tank, and I have a hunter buddy and a priest buddy. We're the core of the group, so we can add about any class and have a decent group. We've got tank and healer, and my hunter friend is good enough at what she does to be flexible about what role she plays. Generally, she marks/picks using her detections, and I pull, but, sometimes she does the honors, depending on what the situation is.

And the healer has worked with us plenty, and I've seen the other two slots filled by everything from two pallies, a pally and a warrior, a lock and a mage, a rogue and a druid, you name it, I've seen it, and it's always worked fairly well, as the core functions, tanking and healing and pulling are taken care of in the nucleus of the group. My hunter buddy and I have worked together since about lvl 9 of our very first chars, so we know what the other will do, so that helps, and the healer is first-rate. The newer players near our level just ooh and aah the first time they run instances with us a lot of the time because we rarely wipe, we rarely lose anyone to death, and just generally make it work. And surprisingly, the newer players jump right in and understand their roles with only a little prompting and a few pointers.

We're not perfect, but, we don't min/max our groups to the nth degree. We aren't running the 60 instances, either, so, you can all say we don't know anything if you want :shuriken:

--Mav
Tal,Apr 18 2005, 09:25 AM Wrote:And yet you were the one to step up and tank Gandling when I got teleported out of the room until I could get back. YOU I will take anywhere. :)
[right][snapback]74320[/snapback][/right]

I can't tell you just how fun that was, though. This went through my mind in about 1.5 seconds: "Oh crap, did he just teleport Sharanna? Oh crap, I'm the best tank with leather! Get rid of Blessing of Sanctuary! Heal Pot! Evasion! Thistle Tea and burn energy for aggro! Watch for the Healthstone!"

All that said, let's say you go on 10-man raids alot. My preference would be for one of every class. If you get that, and there's 2 spots left, Rogue is probably the class I want least as a repeat. I guess that's the best way I can put it. I still think the overpopulation of Rogues is the more specific problem.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Mavfin,Apr 19 2005, 12:06 PM Wrote:We're not perfect, but, we don't min/max our groups to the nth degree.  We aren't running the 60 instances, either, so, you can all say we don't know anything if you want  :shuriken:
[right][snapback]74444[/snapback][/right]

Okay, you don't know anything :)
That said, I hardly practice what I preach here. Min/Maxing is how the general sway goes, so I say Rogues aren't the best Min/Max choice for end game. However, it's quite common for me to do "crazy" instance runs. Every instance I've tried to 5-man - excluding Scholomance - I've done without a tank. That includes Strath (not so pretty), Dire Maul (East and North), and BRD (Complete). All were fun, and that's what really counts :)

Just make sure you have people willing to take you in :)
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Mavfin,Apr 19 2005, 12:06 PM Wrote:  The newer players near our level just ooh and aah the first time they run instances with us a lot of the time because we rarely wipe, we rarely lose anyone to death, and just generally make it work.  And surprisingly, the newer players jump right in and understand their roles with only a little prompting and a few pointers.
[right][snapback]74444[/snapback][/right]

Trust me, us newer to group/instance players like groups like this. I still find myself having a difficult time in instances because I have only experience with a hunter...mostly solo. So I move too fast...or too slow. I pick the wrong target. My C is nicely set up for solo...but missing several nice group skills (Traps? Feign Death? Volley? Eyes of the Beast??) so I have a large learning curve. Thankfully, the Lurkers in my age range are understanding, and put up with me, for which I am immensely grateful. I have had a blast in every instance I've gone into with them. Just wish I could 'pick it up' faster.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Apr 19 2005, 02:08 PM Wrote:Trust me, us newer to group/instance players like groups like this. I still find myself having a difficult time in instances because I have only experience with a hunter...mostly solo. So I move too fast...or too slow. I pick the wrong target. My C is nicely set up for solo...but missing several nice group skills (Traps? Feign Death? Volley? Eyes of the Beast??) so I have a large learning curve. Thankfully, the Lurkers in my age range are understanding, and put up with me, for which I am immensely grateful. I have had a blast in every instance I've gone into with them. Just wish I could 'pick it up' faster.
[right][snapback]74479[/snapback][/right]

Also, if we do wipe: If it was my fault, or one of the core group that screwed up, we'll say so. Or if something weird happened, like the time I pulled a guy out of the SM cathedral and he circled around 3 pillars, bringing 10 others with him, I'll say that, too. If one of the newer players hosed us, we don't yell and get mad, we just laugh, reconvene and point out how it happened, and how to avoid it. It's all part of the process, and everyone has to learn sometime.

If a new person rolls on a BOP blue that they couldn't use, out of ignorance, we'll educate them and point out that many groups would have gone through the roof. But, it's no big deal. We can run the instance again if someone really wants the item. We ran the SM library four times to get the staff for the group's lock, after all. And he passed on the shield I wanted in the cathedral.

--Mav