The 'missing' bosses/monsters
I have recently read about the bosses, monsters and items that were dropped form the final version of the game, so I just wondered if there is a 'patch' or file that restores them? Preferably to Hellfire but if not, then Diablo.

1 or 2 mods on the download page seem to do this, but is there something that purely restores them without changing anything else (item stats etc.). I'm sure these mods are excellent in themselves :)
Here is a .dat file I've quickly thrown together that will reactivate all the monsters that were turned off for the retail release.

I didn't have a lot of time, so I turned EVERYTHING back on indiscriminately. Since some of the monsters do not have graphics, the game will crash if they are chosen for the level.

Later, when I get home, I'll create a new version that doesn't crash the game. This mod will also activate some of the missing unique monsters. There are some that do not appear because the dlvl they appear on is not a level there base monster appears on. I'll add these in when I fix the mod later.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Here is a .dat file I've quickly thrown together that will reactivate all the monsters that were turned off for the retail release.

I didn't have a lot of time, so I turned EVERYTHING back on indiscriminately. Since some of the monsters do not have graphics, the game will crash if they are chosen for the level.

Later, when I get home, I'll create a new version that doesn't crash the game. This mod will also activate some of the missing unique monsters. There are some that do not appear because the dlvl they appear on is not a level there base monster appears on. I'll add these in when I fix the mod later.

That's so kind of you to do this. Genuinely appreciated! I'm sure I'll try the mods some time but it would be good to check out the missing stuff on it's own.

Once again, thanks! :)

Okay, here is the new .dat file.

This one only turns the monsters that won't crash the game back on and also moves the location of some unique monsters so that they can appear.

I haven't had a chance to test it, apart from ensuring that I'd created a valid .dat file that ran with DHack, so it may still crash occasionally. If it does, and you get a message saying something about a file not being able to be found, please write down what file could not be found and let me know so that I can fix what I've missed.

By the way, the earliest a new monster starts is dlvl 7 or 8, so don't expect to see any changes straight away.

For those who are interested in this sort of thing, here's how I created the .dat file.

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Okay, here is the new .dat file.

Quick work. I'll give this a go as soon as possible. I'm sure it'll be fine. Will the file and indeed 'dhack' work with Hellfire OK? Best to avoid problems of my own making!
Quote:I'm sure it'll be fine.

I hope so. It's been about four years since I last did something similar (a mod to turn on all the hidden monsters and place them on dlv 1 while turning all the regular dlvl 1 monsters off. I also adjusted their seeds, so that more monster types could appear in the dungeon), and I'm only fairly certain I can remember which monsters caused crashes.

Quote:Will the file and indeed 'dhack' work with Hellfire OK? Best to avoid problems of my own making!

Both DHack and the mod are for classic Diablo only. It shouldn't be too hard to convert it to a Hellfire mod that can be loaded with GameHack.

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Both DHack and the mod are for classic Diablo only. It shouldn't be too hard to convert it to a Hellfire mod that can be loaded with GameHack.

Lennylen, I'm having problems loading the file. Probably my own mistake but I get 2 error messages under the 'state' column when opening the file in dhack (vers 206). I've tried with both Diablo 1.07 & 1.09 but it happens both times. Is there something I've missed?

( I'm running Windows XP Media Edition if that makes any difference).

I've uploaded a copy of DHack 2.13, which is what I tested the mod with.

v2.06 had a few bugs. Actually, v2.13 does too (if you read the comments I made in the mod src you'll see what I mean), but they're not as bad.

-W.C. Fields
Quote:I've uploaded a copy of DHack 2.13, which is what I tested the mod with.

v2.06 had a few bugs. Actually, v2.13 does too (if you read the comments I made in the mod src you'll see what I mean), but they're not as bad.

I get the same thing as 2.06. Two error messages again. In the 'program version' column of dhack it says 1.09 for the two errors. Isn't the program specifically for 1.07 though? Little confused, but then that's just my ignorance!

I've tried both 1.07 or 1.09 anyway as I said so I'm a bit stuck as to where to go.
Quote:I've uploaded a copy of DHack 2.13, which is what I tested the mod with.

Lennylen, I've checked out a couple of other 'hacks' and i can't seem to get them to install either so it's obviously a problem my end. I've tried them on both Diablo 1.07 and 1.09, Hellfire 1.01, an re-installed the games and tried again. I have no mods installed, just the patches.

If you, or anyone else knows why maybe 'dhack' does not work for me then any advice would be appreciated!
The mod I wrote will only work for 1.09. I'm still not sure why it won't work for you, as it works fine for me.

[Image: dhack.jpg]

For now, you can see the missing monsters (but not unique monsters), by using the patch I created in 2002. This doesn't restore the monsters to their correct dlvls, but instead puts them on dlvl 1 while turning off the regular monsters that appear on that dlvl.

edit: I just read your post properly I see you said that you can't get anything to work with DHack. What are the error messages you get?

-W.C. Fields
I have no idea why LennyLens *.dat file doesnt work for you Sheriff. Actually, Im not very familiar with dhack, because all mods I have been playing are in *.exe form. So just for order...

Are you sure, that youre running 2.13 version Dhack with Diablo 1.09 and loading LennyLens dat file named "new_content.dat", which includes files showed in post above ?
I do, and its running (not fully working though).

Is it possible to do this with your Dhack? (Diablo is not running, just Dhack with loaded *.dat)
[Image: dhack2.jpg]
If not, its bad Dhack instalation.

Bug report:

Part which enables unique monsters seems to work fine. While playing I have met Hazeshifter, Grimspike, Glasskul the Jagged, Lord of the pit, Stormbane.... some of them multiple times. This part seems to be OK.

But Ive never met any "new" monster type.
(label myself as someone who knows, what monster type is not commonly tagging in dungeons :-) )

So I think this part is not working because:

1)
I gone through Cata + Caves + Hell 5 times and I played very carefully. I have met about dozen "new" unique monsters and not only 1 monster of "new" type. But probability, that I meet certain unique monster (certain monster type at certain dlvl) is surely much smaller, that probability I meet ANY of new monster.

2)
When entering some dlvl, both files disapear from Dhack. Sometimes in 10 dlvl, sometimes in 11 and sometimes never (no "new" monster type was picked up). I think it happens in first dlvl you enter AND where the game initially placed new enabled monster types.
Player himself even doesnt recognize that something happened. Dat files are threw away and Diablo do monster placing over again.

3)
Look what happens when I deactivate and reactivate hacks:
[Image: dhack1.jpg]
Unfortunatelly I have not idea whats bad..... I cant help here :-(

Sheriff:
Dont worry about problem with Dhack. If you ask Lenny, he can make changes right in Diablo.exe file and send that file to you. Its just minor modification of his nice C program. If he will be so kind of course ...
Quote:But Ive never met any "new" monster type.

Hmmm. When I said I tested it, I meant that I just loaded up Diablo and then ran the .dat file through DHack to make sure there were no errors. I didn't actually play it.

It might have something to do with the seed size of the monsters so I'll try changing them to see if that helps.

Quote:Dont worry about problem with Dhack. If you ask Lenny, he can make changes right in Diablo.exe file and send that file to you. Its just minor modification of his nice C program. If he will be so kind of course ...

Actually, It'll be easier to modify it to create a .mod file that works with the DPatch utility I put in my last post. I designed the .mod format to be identical to the .dat format. The only difference between them is that the .dat file has memory addresses, while the .mod file has file addresses.

Quote:When entering some dlvl, both files disapear from Dhack. Sometimes in 10 dlvl, sometimes in 11 and sometimes never (no "new" monster type was picked up). I think it happens in first dlvl you enter AND where the game initially placed new enabled monster types.
Player himself even doesnt recognize that something happened. Dat files are threw away and Diablo do monster placing over again.

Weird. I suspect that has something to do with the next problem.

Quote:Look what happens when I deactivate and reactivate hacks:

That's a bug/feature with DHack. If you overwrite the same of area in memory twice in the same hack, it only reverts the second overwrite when the hack is deactivated. Then when you try to reactivate it, you get an error, since the value at that memory address no longer matches what the hack says should be there.

This can be worked around by changing the second value on each line (the values are <address> <old data> <new data>) to **. I prefer not to use ** myself, since there's a good reason why the memory checking routines are there.

Or I can just change the way that I created the .dat file. It was simpler to turn everything on, then just turn a couple of monsters back off than to turn each individual monster on. However if I take the second approach it will stop some memory locations from being overwritten twice.

I also suspect that doing this will solve the problem of the hacks disappearing from DHack.

I'm a little too hungover at the moment to do any coding, but I'll see how I feel this afternoon.

-W.C. Fields
I think i solved the error you guys are seeing, but i have no way to upload it, so heres the data in .txt form, just open up a text file and paste this in it, save it, change the extension to .dat.

Code:
# This mod activates disabled monsters, and moves some unique monsters so that they can appear.

Start 1.09 reactivate disabled monsters
# by LennyLen 03/01/2007 Edited by Ace360 06/01/2007
49B688 01010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101000202020200020202020101 01010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101
49B6B0 01010202020202020202000002020202000000000202020202020202000000000000000002020202 01010101010101010101000001010101000000000101010101010101010101010101010101010101
49B6D8 0002020202020202020202020202020202000000000202020202020202000000 0101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101000000
end

Start 1.09 allow all unique monsters to appear
# by LennyLen 03/01/2007 Edited by Ace360 06/01/2007
49BB24 04 07
49BBC4 05 07
49BC64 07 09
49BCE4 08 09
49BE64 09 10
49BFC4 0C 0D
49C0C4 0D 0F
49C104 0D 0F
49C144 0D 0E
49C2E4 13 0A
49C304 1C 0B
end

Lenny, i noticed that when i was changing things you have a lot of repeting data as in a 01 being replaced by a 01, couldnt you get rid of these to save some space? i know it isnt much on something like this but it could be large on larger files.

Sorry for not being able to upload, just bare with it.
Quote:I haven't had a chance to test it, apart from ensuring that I'd created a valid .dat file that ran with DHack, so it may still crash occasionally. If it does, and you get a message saying something about a file not being able to be found, please write down what file could not be found and let me know so that I can fix what I've missed.

Dungeon lvl 14 on entering

"
Monsters\Unrav\Unravw.cl2
"

edit,\ on accedent when writing [/quote]
Im sorry for taking up space but i realized i do have a way to upload it...

http://www.freewebs.com/lawpro/Not%20Law%2...tent%5Fedit.dat
Quote:The mod I wrote will only work for 1.09. I'm still not sure why it won't work for you, as it works fine for me.

[Image: dhack.jpg]

For now, you can see the missing monsters (but not unique monsters), by using the patch I created in 2002. This doesn't restore the monsters to their correct dlvls, but instead puts them on dlvl 1 while turning off the regular monsters that appear on that dlvl.

edit: I just read your post properly I see you said that you can't get anything to work with DHack. What are the error messages you get?

Dhack seems to be up and running for me now. I think the problem lay when I copied the Diablo directory in order to have 2 installs (1.07 and 1.09). The patches seem only to install on the first install and because I copied an unpatched folder, the second install remained as Diablo 1.00 when I tried to run Dhack.

Needless to say I now copy the original install only after updating to 1.07 (and then update the original to 1.09).

Anyway, both parts of your dat file are now active, though the one for 'monster types' appeared as active without me doing anything. I have yet to come across any different monster types, but the uniques are there, and no problems at all. I've only put in a couple of hours yet though.

I am assuming the file will work for both single and multi play?

Thanks again for all your help and concerns and I'll give it a few more days play to see whether the other 'monster types' appear and if there are any problems. Looks good so far though!
Quote:Sheriff:
Dont worry about problem with Dhack. If you ask Lenny, he can make changes right in Diablo.exe file and send that file to you. Its just minor modification of his nice C program. If he will be so kind of course ...

Thanks for the post and all your advice, Sekel. I seem to have got Dhack running fine now. In my reply to Lennylen I mentioned about multiple installs probably being the culprit.

Like you I haven't encountered any different monster types yet, but the uniques are appearing (though my memory is still returning about the original ones!), and I have no in-game problems which is great.

Strangely, dhack shows 'reactivate disabled monsters' as all ready active. Maybe I need to re-activate them.