My latest sculpture...
I thought I would share something current I've just finished. I made this ice skater for my wife, who is an ice skater.

Skater 1 Skater 2 Skater 3
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Very nice work sir.
Quote:I thought I would share something current I've just finished. I made this ice skater for my wife, who is an ice skater.
Impressive! What's it made of, that it stands (skates?) on one foot (blade?) without problems? Or is it just well-secured to the base?

-Jester
Quote:Impressive! What's it made of, that it stands (skates?) on one foot (blade?) without problems? Or is it just well-secured to the base?
It is bronze, with a medium brown patina. The base is a piece of white marble, which I had to cut and sculpt into shape. I recovered the marble slab from a dumpster at a place that makes stone counter tops. They let me fill the back of my truck with remnants for about $30. I welded a 1/4" bronze bolt to the bottom of the skate boot toe (it is notched to go around the skate blade). It was difficult to make it solid. The pin fell off 3 times before I got it right.

My original idea was to mount the pin on a swivel so the skater could spin, but after thinking through the physics I decided just to pin it solid. However, she is perfectly balanced on the toe pick of that skate, so other than from curious hands the forces needed to hold her vertical should be minor.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:My original idea was to mount the pin on a swivel so the skater could spin, but after thinking through the physics I decided just to pin it solid.

Gorgeous indeed. You could always put something to make the base itself rotate. Less cool, but still.
Hi,

Quote:I thought I would share something current I've just finished.
Very nice. <strike>Care to share the details of the crafting?</strike> (EDIT: Teach me to reply before reading all posts)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Very nice work indeed. I would love to see some more detailed pics of it.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright
Quote:Very nice work indeed. I would love to see some more detailed pics of it.
Ok, I'll post a few more pics when I find my other camera. Those were with my cell phone.