WOW descending in the U.S. Sales Charts
Arnath,Jan 11 2005, 05:02 PM Wrote:However, something interesting did come up. When I called one of the Media Play locations by my house, the guy in electronics said several copies of the game had cd-keys that showed up as invalid when you tried to activate them, and that Blizzard had sent them a letter around Christmas and recalled all of the copies they had. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Arnath
[right][snapback]65040[/snapback][/right]

I can imagine that being very aggravating. Finally finding a copy, getting it home, and finding out that it doesn't even work. I'd be a little torqued about that.
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Mirajj,Jan 11 2005, 04:23 PM Wrote:I can imagine that being very aggravating. Finally finding a copy, getting it home, and finding out that it doesn't even work. I'd be a little torqued about that.
[right][snapback]65058[/snapback][/right]

Someone, somewhere, somehow in the supply chain probably opened a bunch of boxes and stole the activation key.

Sure you still have to pay to play the game, but it's $50 saved.
Blizzard's taking down the servers for what are reportedly some major hardware upgrades today. The estimated downtime is 16 hours (which probalby means more than 24 hours, if the usual time expansion rules apply). Maybe after this happens, a new shipment of games will go out.
My bet is they wait until they are sure who of the WoW-as-Christmas-gift crowd will be resubscribing. Once that block drops out they should be able to keep their servers up with their sales.
Sadly, I've recently talked to a video game shop owner who speculated that it may take until mid-February before they release more copies. Hopefully, I'll be able to convince my friend, who mainly plays EQ2 and SWG, to sell me his copy for a reasonable price :).