Stormrage Initial Impressions
Here are some of my general thoughts on the gameplay experience since starting last Wednesday with a NE Hunter:

1. I have not put in much effort on this, but it seems to me that quality groups are difficult to assemble. This might be due to a lack of incentive at the early stages of the game to form groups. For most quests, I have had no trouble finishing on my own. This might not have been true if the server had fewer people around. As it is right now (i.e., crowded), most areas are reasonably safe for travel, even if a character is slightly below the level of the mobs nearby.

2. Level disparity is a huge factor - maybe even too much of a factor - in deciding the outcome of battles. A level 12 character would have a challenging time defeating a level 13 mob; the fight is winnable, but the level 12 character would certainly have significantly reduced life afterwards. In contrast, a level 14 character could engage the same mob with very little challenge. I think that the level disparity could be smoothed out somewhat so it is not so jarring.

3. Combat, from my experience so far, has involved almost no strategy. In every instance that I can think of, the outcome of a fight can be predicted before the beginning. If you are damaging the mob faster than you are taking damage, then you will win. If the reverse, you will lose. There is very little that you can do during the course of combat to change the outcome. I realize that this might be different in later stages of the game, especially if group play is involved. However, so far, it has not been much more than click and wait for the mob to die (or run if the mob does not die fast enough).

4. I have really appreciated the guild so far, even though I have not partied with anyone (guiild or otherwise) yet. It is z useful channel of distributing spare resources, and I imagine that this will only be more true as characters become more specialized with trade skills.

5. Is it too early to start thinking of a tabard?
JapJaan,Nov 29 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:1. I have not put in much effort on this, but it seems to me that quality groups are difficult to assemble.  This might be due to a lack of incentive at the early stages of the game to form groups.  For most quests, I have had no trouble finishing on my own.  This might not have been true if the server had fewer people around.  As it is right now (i.e., crowded), most areas are reasonably safe for travel, even if a character is slightly below the level of the mobs nearby.[right][snapback]61534[/snapback][/right]

I think this is more a function of early stages in general. Grouping becomes more often as you progress. Also don't hesitate to speak up in Guild chat and ask if anyone is in the area and/or willing to come give you a hand. :)

JapJaan,Nov 29 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:2. Level disparity is a huge factor - maybe even too much of a factor - in deciding the outcome of battles.  A level 12 character would have a challenging time defeating a level 13 mob; the fight is winnable, but the level 12 character would certainly have significantly reduced life afterwards.  In contrast, a level 14 character could engage the same mob with very little challenge.  I think that the level disparity could be smoothed out somewhat so it is not so jarring.[right][snapback]61534[/snapback][/right]
Interesting. I've not had any trouble taking on mobs a level or two higher than me. Three is where it gets dicey. Four is a shot in hell. ;)

JapJaan,Nov 29 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:3. Combat, from my experience so far, has involved almost no strategy.  In every instance that I can think of, the outcome of a fight can be predicted before the beginning.  If you are damaging the mob faster than you are taking damage, then you will win.  If the reverse, you will lose.  There is very little that you can do during the course of combat to change the outcome.  I realize that this might be different in later stages of the game, especially if group play is involved.  However, so far, it has not been much more than click and wait for the mob to die (or run if the mob does not die fast enough).[right][snapback]61534[/snapback][/right]

Once you get all of your skills there is more to do in combat - especially once you get your pet.

JapJaan,Nov 29 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:4. I have really appreciated the guild so far, even though I have not partied with anyone (guiild or otherwise) yet.  It is z useful channel of distributing spare resources, and I imagine that this will only be more true as characters become more specialized with trade skills.[right][snapback]61534[/snapback][/right]

Plus we're a silly bunch of buggers. ;)

JapJaan,Nov 29 2004, 03:24 PM Wrote:5. Is it too early to start thinking of a tabard?
[right][snapback]61534[/snapback][/right]

Nope. Roane, Lissa, Ruvunal and I have been discussing Tabard selections. I'm in the process of coming up with some design options for us to vote on. Unfortunately I need to come up with 10 gold to design it...
JapJaan,Nov 29 2004, 01:24 PM Wrote:Here are some of my general thoughts on the gameplay experience since starting last Wednesday with a NE Hunter:

5. Is it too early to start thinking of a tabard?
[right][snapback]61534[/snapback][/right]

Well, since I started Wednesday, I have had about 40 minutes of play. :)

Look to increase that a bit, so be on the lookout for LeeVanCleef, dwarf rogue either late at night or very early in the morning. I too would rather play in a party, all things being equal, which they generally are not.

Tabard? Wish I could draw.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Tal,Nov 29 2004, 04:08 PM Wrote:Interesting. I've not had any trouble taking on mobs a level or two higher than me. Three is where it gets dicey. Four is a shot in hell. ;)

Nope. Roane, Lissa, Ruvunal and I have been discussing Tabard selections. I'm in the process of coming up with some design options for us to vote on. Unfortunately I need to come up with 10 gold to design it...
[right][snapback]61538[/snapback][/right]

My experience with level disparity might be a reflection of character class and equipment so far. My ranger does significantly more damage over time with ranged attacks than melee attacks. As a combat tactic, I usually try to fire off as many shots at a mob before it engages up close. Once in melee, if the mob is above my level, my life is usually taken down at a rate faster than I can deal out damage, but I can win if the mob has already been "softened" by some ranged attacks. In the situation in which a mob spawns right on top of me, and the mob is a level higher, the fight is much closer. This might change after last night when I finally moved to a better melee weapon. A dagger averaging under 4/s was just not cutting it (pun intended).

Let's start a collection for the tabard!